Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
1newArielAtomV8pictures.jpg

2newArielAtomV8pictures.jpg

3newArielAtomV8pictures.jpg

4newArielAtomV8pictures.jpg

5newArielAtomV8pictures.jpg

This is the really rather mad Ariel Atom V8. Thats right, this tiny little track-biased car has an eight-cylinder engine driving its rear wheels. And its a 3.0-litre V8 that produces 500bhp at 10,600rpm, to give the new Ariel Atom V8 a Bugatti-beating 909bhp/tonne.

There are things that can be done in low volume production that the big manufacturers cant, wont or darent do, said Ariel boss Simon Saunders. We make a virtue of our size, our skills and the unique qualities that hand built production can bring to our cars. The Atom V8 demonstrates this.
Okay, lets try and take the Ariel Atom V8 seriously tell me about that 500bhpV8 engine.

Apparently supercharged Honda Civic Type R engines with 300bhp just arent powerful enough. And the original supercharged 2.4-litre V8 that Ariel planned to use in the Atom V8 wasnt up to scratch either. So the production Ariel Atom V8 has a US-built 3.0-litre V8. In the marginally more docile road trim it produces 475bhp at 10,500rpm, along with 268lb ft at 7750rpm. And in the madder track trim theres a full 500bhp at 10,600rpm, plus 284lb ft at the same 7750rpm.

Combine the Atom V8s 550kg kerbweight with all that power and you get 909bhp/tonne, way more than the 644bhp/tonne achieved by the Bugatti Veyron Super Sports. The 500bhp version will apparently hit 62mph in under 2.3 seconds, and then carry on to crack a terrifying 200mph the 475bhp version manages just 175mph. And the acceleration, whatever speed youre at, will be ridiculous, thanks in part to the power, but also because the paddleshift-equipped Sadev six-speed sequential gearbox can swap cogs in just 40 milliseconds.

Beyond that Ariel has uprated the regular Atoms inboard suspension with specific dampers and springs, complete with remote reservoirs and adjustment for high speed compression, low speed compression and rebound, plus a four-way spring stiffness adjuster, so you can fine tune the V8 to your track of choice. Theres also carbonfibre bodywork (including adjustable front and rear spoilers), extra structural bracing in the engine compartment, and the chassis is powder coated with a gold finish. And mercifully theres adjustable traction control, and a launch control to help you achieve that sub-2.3 second 0-62mph time. A data logging system will let you prove your acceleration run times to your mates too, and the LCD screen can display the shift lights and current gear position.

Just 25 Atom V8s will ever be built, and 20 have already been sold, despite the car costing 124,850 plus VAT call it 150k by the time customer cars arrive in early 2011.

[CAR]

pencil.png

I love it, and the earlier ones looked like a blast when covered on UK Top Gear. Myself, were I in the market for such a vehicle, and had any disposable income to speak of, I'd probably aim for the more readily-attainable ($$$) Caterham Seven.

Just read another article (worldcarfans) that says the redline is actually 16,500 RPM.
Which is true?

Just read another article (worldcarfans) that says the redline is actually 16,500 RPM.
Which is true?

I read autoblog I believe and it says the 16,500 RPM as well.

This article is saying how much power it outputs at that RPM, it doesn't say it redlines at that RPM.

I know it's a very light car, but it seems like they'd want wider rubber....at least at the rear. Seems like 500hp could shred the ones pictured.

Back