Are you getting the 430 miles range claimed by Mazda after filling up?

Note that it seems the remaining to empty is somewhat based on your previous tank fuel economies so this is normal. Also, note that some of the numbers you are seeing mentioned are from overseas members who have the higher compression ratio gas and the higher fuel economy diesels.

Exactly! The important thing to remember when looking at the "miles" to empty" figure is it's only an ESTIMATE and will only be accurate if the average mpg for the current tank ends up being the same as the average mpg for the previous period on which the estimate is based upon.

Exactly! The important thing to remember when looking at the "miles" to empty" figure is it's only an ESTIMATE and will only be accurate if the average mpg for the current tank ends up being the same as the average mpg for the previous period on which the estimate is based upon.

That maybe right.... I can't wait to see what my next tank says.

Filled my tank for the 2nd time last night, the mileage was virtually Identical to the 1st tank. The distance to empty readout showed 434 as I was leaving the gas station

In part it has to do with the gas you are using. Exxon 87 should give you the best mileage according to this study: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...investigation-best-brands-of-gas-for-your-car

Exxon 87 in Cleveland is not the same Exxon 87 as everywhere else. Also they didn't test Chevron or other major brands (since there aren't any in Cleveland). Point being, you can't make assumptions about gasoline based entirely upon brand - location matters too. When there is a terminal in a major metropolitan area, all fuel that arrives there is through the same pipeline, regardless of brand. Product is separated in the pipeline by the use of a gel "pig". But you can have multiple brands that are being sent to the same terminal through the same pipeline, from the same refinery. What differentiates them can be the additives which are put in after the gas is loaded on the truck for delivery - this is when the techron, or other detergents are added.

Exxon 87 in Cleveland is not the same Exxon 87 as everywhere else. Also they didn't test Chevron or other major brands (since there aren't any in Cleveland). Point being, you can't make assumptions about gasoline based entirely upon brand - location matters too. When there is a terminal in a major metropolitan area, all fuel that arrives there is through the same pipeline, regardless of brand. Product is separated in the pipeline by the use of a gel "pig". But you can have multiple brands that are being sent to the same terminal through the same pipeline, from the same refinery. What differentiates them can be the additives which are put in after the gas is loaded on the truck for delivery - this is when the techron, or other detergents are added.

Very informative, thanks!

Miles to empty also reflects tank size difference on 4wheel vs. 2wheel...

So what is the usable tank capacity?

Not that it's a measure I've ever seen this for a car but it's commonly referenced with planes, where running out of fuel can be more than a mere inconvenience. (I'm not sure I want to know, I'm one of those who somehow thinks you can put off fueling up, ad I'd be ignoring all warnings) As for mileage, at 3500+ miles it's 30.5 here, with roughly 50% "light traffic" and 50% "80+ mph" interstate which is what's knocking it down from where it could be. But if you have a 14.8 or whatever gallon tank, how many gallons are left when you start spu
ttering?

But if you have a 14.8 or whatever gallon tank, how many gallons are left when you start spu
ttering?

I can't answer that - hopefully less than a quart because anything left over when you start sucking air is dead weight. And Mazda took great care to eliminate unnecessary weight. Of course it depends on the grade and camber of the road. Most cars will suck air well before the tank is empty if the car is on an extended grade or has an extreme camber. Going slowly on a level road with numerous large potholes allows most cars to drain the tank most thoroughly.

Because sucking air can be hard on the fuel pump it's important not to run out of fuel. The most I've put in my AWD (15.3 gals.) is 13.94 gals.

This is the second time that I fill my 2014 GT FWD up and computer shows a range of 372 miles using 87 Exxon. Mazda claims it should have a 430 miles range after filling up.

What kind of numbers are you getting? Please name gas brand!

2014 GT AWD 2.5 engine. 1200 miles so far and averaging 26.5 MPG. Almost all stop and go driving and I have a heavy foot. Pretty much what was advertised and expected by me in terms of gas mileage. My range shows at 400 immediately after a fill up but changes to around 370 as I get into first 100 miles of the tankful. This is computed by the mileage to go in the info section and actual miles driven added to it. It has done this consistantly from day one of ownership. I am sure if I drove 55-60 on highway for a full tankful that I would get up to about 30-32 MPG or a bit more.

I am sure if I drove 55-60 on highway for a full tankful that I would get up to about 30-32 MPG or a bit more.

Yep. I have the 2014 AWD (2.5L) and just got back from a 375 mile highway trip griving 60 mph (some headwinds). I got 31.5 MPG. Right now, if I add the current range to my trip since I fueled, I'm on track for a 440 mile tank. I like that number!

433 miles from my most recent tank. Pretty much always get 400+ miles per tank. This is between me and my wife driving with a heavy right foot, mixed city and highway. Sport, fwd, manual.

The max fuel I have put in is 54.66L (~14.5gal), never spilling fuel. This was after driving about 10km after there was 0 range left on the distance to empty display.

The max distance I have gone is 574km (~360 miles).

I tend to drive faster (120+km/h on highway) and in a lot of stop and go traffic around Toronto, and after 8200km (5100 miles), I am averaging 9.95L/100km (~23.6mpg).

I'm sure if I had less stop and go, and drove slower, I could easily achieve the better fuel economy.

The max fuel I have put in is 54.66L (~14.5gal), never spilling fuel. This was after driving about 10km after there was 0 range left on the distance to empty display.
Did you squeeze the fuel filler lever after auto-shutoff?

The reason I ask is because my last tank was driven the same distance after the range said zero and I could only fit 13.5 gallons in.

506 miles on the tank.

Last edited:
Yes - I usually have a good idea on how much fuel I should be putting in, and if the pump stops way too early I'll force more out. It seems to very sensitive as I've had it stop up to 5L before full. (which then throws off any calculated mileage, which is why I don't listen to it)

Yes - I usually have a good idea on how much fuel I should be putting in, and if the pump stops way too early I'll force more out. It seems to very sensitive as I've had it stop up to 5L before full. (which then throws off any calculated mileage, which is why I don't listen to it)

I think the pumps in Canada might be set to turn off a little earlier than in the U.S.to avoid spill incidents. I know I can fit a little more in after auto-shutoff but I don't do this for consistency. Also, concerns with over filling flooding the emissions canister and damaging it. Maybe with Canadian pumps it's necessary to get a full tank.

I think the pumps in Canada might be set to turn off a little earlier than in the U.S.to avoid spill incidents. I know I can fit a little more in after auto-shutoff but I don't do this for consistency. Also, concerns with over filling flooding the emissions canister and damaging it. Maybe with Canadian pumps it's necessary to get a full tank.

It is always good advice not to overfill the tank, mostly because you risk spilling the expensive liquid and damaging the environment. For most modern car designs though, emissions canister damage is practically impossible trough overfilling, dispite the loads of misinformation you find on the Internet about this. This is because most EVAP systems (those I've seen anyway) vent at the fill pipe opening or some other place away from the gaz... Again, I'm not telling anyone they should overfill, just sharing!

This is because most EVAP systems (those I've seen anyway) vent at the fill pipe opening or some other place away from the gaz... Again, I'm not telling anyone they should overfill, just sharing!
That's good to know. My motorcycles will definitely flood my charcoal canisters if I fill them to the brim and then park them on their sidestand where engine heat can expand the remaining air and force a hazardous situation.

But I still fill my bikes to the brim because I ride in a lot of remote areas where suitable fuel can be 200 miles apart (total range is only 200-300 miles depending upon how "itchy" my right hand feels). I just make sure I ride off as soon as I close the tank (or use the centerstand so the remaining air in the tank stays in the middle by the filler (that's where the breather connects). On a motorcycle, taking a corner too fast does not cause the fuel to "stack up" on one side of the tank because the bike and tank leans in harmony with the cornering forces.

I can't count all the times I've seen cars or trucks leaving a fueling station with fuel dumping out the filler neck on the first turn (usually because they forgot to install the filler cap). That can't be good for the MPG! LOL!

Back