Are you desperate to fix a squeak

Wow all that work for 6db less sound, is it worth the added weight? :D silly

That vids been posted before.

Actually 6db is a massive noise reduction, a 1db reduction can be noticed.

Looks like a base model CX-5. I'm sure it still weighs no more than a Touring package.

Cabin noise of a CX-5 at 70mph cruise is around 67db, which is already one of the most quiet in its class. A pricey luxury barge like the Audi A8 at 70mph cruise is around 63db. This is queiter than that, which I bet feels damn near eerie coming from an economy CUV.

Don't forget that decibels are counted in a linear system.

I did back of the car from under the back seats throughout the back section, using FrostKing duct insulation. This stuff is foam backed aluminum foil that comes in a roll and does an amazing job of killing sound and blocking heat. I have used it on race cars for blocking heat. The back end pannels are easy to remove and the sound difference within the cabin is HUGE. Decided not to do under the carpet on the floor as little sound was coming up and heat is not an issue. The next step would be the doors, but again it is not enough do unless I take the pannels off for another reason.

I did back of the car from under the back seats throughout the back section, using FrostKing duct insulation. This stuff is foam backed aluminum foil that comes in a roll and does an amazing job of killing sound and blocking heat. I have used it on race cars for blocking heat. The back end pannels are easy to remove and the sound difference within the cabin is HUGE. Decided not to do under the carpet on the floor as little sound was coming up and heat is not an issue. The next step would be the doors, but again it is not enough do unless I take the pannels off for another reason.

How muck does that stuff weigh?

Do you have a picture or even a sketch to illustrate the areas you did? This sounds really interesting.

I have used Frostking Duct Insulation that I bought from Lowes quite a few years back to dampen our MPV. When it would be 90+ degrees out, the whole interior would smell like tar. I ended up removing it because the fumes got dangerously bad with closed windows on a hot day.

Any problems with your application?

Last edited:
if I remember correctly every 10 db is twice as loud so 6 would be quite noticeable.

In the video are they actually driving or just revving the engine?

From what I've read the mat type stuff they used is mostly for improving the quality of the sound from high powered sound systems in the car as it stops the cars body from resonating and distorting the music as it bounces back off. Most everything I've read said that stuff doesn't do much for killing road noise as it takes 3 or 4 layers of it to build up enough mass to absorb sound passing through. Granted stopping it from resonating will quiet some noise but the thicker MLV (mass loaded vinyl) is what I've read will kill road noise more. That's just what I've read on a variety of sites. The MLV tends to be a more solid layer of vinyl sandwiched between other softer layers or a solid layer on top of a softer layer. There are also products with a thin layer of lead between two lighter foam layers http://cascadeaudio.com/car_noise_control/vb_3.htm . All the foams are closed cell to avoid absorbing moisture.

One site claimed that while you can get away with just partial coverage with the peal and stick dynamat style stuff (because even a small amount can reduce the tendency of the metal to vibrate) the thicker MLV needs to cover 100% of the area you are trying to stop the noise from coming through otherwise even a small uncovered area will let most of the noise through. Haven't seen any tests to prove it though.

I can say that in the past I've used a lot of dynamat extreme with very little end effect on road noise. The thicker foams seem to have a lot greater effect on it. The downsides with those are you generally have to glue them to vertical surfaces and you can't fit them everywhere as they can get in the way of panels fitting back into place or even push the carpeting up on the floor.

The frost king stuff is quite light. A 15 sq ft roll weighs next to nothing, expecially compared to some of the other dedicated products.
I wonder if it is different from what saynotopistons used as it isn't tar based, it is a foam insulation. I've seen online where people have used peal and stick roofing patch that is tar based and I could see that smelling. But I haven't read any comments on smell from the frost king.

There really aren't many good comparison tests out there that I could find on the different products, especially for killing road noise. I guess it could be hard to test as one car magazine pointed out once printing the db levels of the cars they test isn't really conclusive as some sounds are annoying and some aren't as bad so one car at 75 might be more pleasant for a long drive than one that measures 72. The same thing could happen here where one could end up dropping the overall db level but still end up with a lot of the annoying and fatiguing sounds.

The product I found that was the most intriguing to me was from 3M, it is Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation. It does for sound what thinsulate does for heat. Thinsulate Acoustic The problem is I couldn't find any retail source for it that sold it in less than $1000+ special order amounts.

Trevor
Genuine Factory Mazda CX-5 Accessories

Last edited:
The material weights roughly 6 lb a roll. I used 4 rolls. It was not hard at all. I do have pictures, which I will try and find and post in the how to section. basically it was very similar to what you see in the video. You remove the pannels and back seat, and just peal and stick down. I bascially try and cut the largest section possible to still conform to the surface to make the job go faster. however, because it is so sticky you can use it all with little to no waste.

The majority of noice within the cabin comes from the backend, as there is not even a thin pad between the metal and the plastic pannels. The sound coming off the wheel wells is the bulk of it.

To give you an idea of how good it works, i did the entire interior of my 2002 vette (not the head liner), since it has a set of race headers on it with low restriction exhaust. Bascially you could barely talk in the car with the windows closed and now I can use a bluetooth phone in there.

The majority of noice within the cabin comes from the backend, as there is not even a thin pad between the metal and the plastic pannels. The sound coming off the wheel wells is the bulk of it.

I was really surprised when I peeked under the panel back there that there was nothing at all between the metal and the plastic for sound. It seems like a well designed echo chamber for road noise.

I used that DB app in my CX5 today while traveling 69 MPH on the highway. It was toggling between 75 and 78 db. That's kind of loud! No wonder I cannot hear my radio well. Maybe if I stuff some rock wool it'll quiet down a bit.

I am assuming this is the insulation you used?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...-Duct-Insulation-FV516/100028603#.UVnkh5PqmSo

I too used the same thing and it did produce a tar like smell on hot days. Perhaps they reformulated the adhesive? It was back in 2005 when I used it.

correct. I have never had an issue with smell in the five or so applications I have done since 2002. I will concede my nose is not the most sensitive but my wife's is and she has never detected any smell. You might have had an interaction with a undercoating on metal floor?

Back