Are you content with 19” Toyos or replacing them ASAP?

Just wondering what owners with 2019-21 models with 19” wheels and tires think of their stock tires and are you “sticking“ with them? I bought a 2019 Signature and my lease will be up in early 2022. There were a lot of complaints about the 2019 Toyos at the time so I had the dealer upgrade to Michelins at a great price. There’s three model years of experience with them now and I’m interested in what people think.
Simple. Hated the Toyos, when they wore out (early) I replaced them with Michelins. Love the Michelins.

Make sure you ask for road force balancing at discount tire. Necessary for these wheels and vehicle
Apparently they do a check to see if it's necessary. If not then next time but I've never had it done yet and haven't had any issues.

Got to love smartphones. Able to sit here and submit my rebate online while I'm waiting on my car to get done.

Simple. Hated the Toyos, when they wore out (early) I replaced them with Michelins. Love the Michelins.
What’d you go with? I’m considering replacing my Toyos prematurely (before winter).

Make sure you ask for road force balancing at discount tire. Necessary for these wheels and vehicle
Apparently they do a check to see if it's necessary. If not then next time but I've never had it done yet and haven't had any issues.

Got to love smartphones. Able to sit here and submit my rebate online while I'm waiting on my car to get done.
I also don’t believe the road-force balancing is “necessary”, at least for our 2016 CX-5. There were many reports from owners of 2018 CX-5 a couple of years ago complaining vibration at the highway speed when the car was new. Some had tried different tires and claimed Michelin Premier LTX’s had fixed his problem. Then some had found the problem actually was from stock Toyo A36 tires which couldn’t be balanced properly even with road-force balancing. The Toyo tires were so bad that one showed 30 from RFB machine which shouldn’t be passed by any quality control. There’s a TSB issued by Mazda for this issue.

If we feel vibration from new tires after the normal balancing, then we can ask for road-force balancing. But honestly, it shouldn’t happen.

I didn't get very good miles out of my OEM Toyos. I reached out to Mazda and they had me contact Toyo. They connected with my local DT and got me the $256 tire credit and there was a $50 (or so) General (RT43s) Tire MIR that I got. I was happy with the out the door price. Been going to DT since the mid 80s.

Today I'm going back to replace my General RT43s. They're at 4/32s. Here's how this one is laid out for the Continental LX25s. Curious to compare them to the Generals. These concrete roads chew up tires quicker I think.

$796.00 Continental CrossContact LX25s (4)
-110.00 instant savings (matched DT online)
-365.28 tire credit (RT43s)
+112.00 certs
+ 5.00 state
+ 84.00 adj bal/val
$521.72
+ 35.57 tax
$557.29
- 70.00 MIR
$487.29 Grand total
$487.29 is an unbelievable price getting a set of Continental CrossContact LX25’s which are having very good reviews!

Had you chosen not getting road hazard insurance ($112.00 certs) on tires which I usually don’t get, you’d save even more!

$487.29 is an unbelievable price getting a set of Continental CrossContact LX25’s which are having very good reviews!

Had you chosen not getting road hazard insurance ($112.00 certs) on tires which I usually don’t get, you’d save even more!
Ya, I've been doing this for so long it's almost habit. Don't remember the last time I've even had a flat little alone a tire that got damaged. I did have a tire that did get damaged but that was sooooo long ago.

As for road-force balancing, I actually asked the guy at DT as I was reading from this thread while waiting on m tires yesterday. Sounds like it is necessary for trucks, Jeeps, and such. Especially with tires that have bigger/heavier tread.

****I see Continental has there Total Confidence Plan

Last edited:

As for road-force balancing, I actually asked the guy at DT as I was reading from this thread while waiting on m tires yesterday. Sounds like it is necessary for trucks, Jeeps, and such. Especially with tires that have bigger/heavier tread.
Or a tire or wheel which is poorly made with bigger tolerance or bad quality control (out of round). Here is the description from Mazda’s M-Tips which includes up to 2019 CX-5 and many other Mazda vehicles:

M-Tips No.: MT-012/18 BODY VIBRATION OR STEERING WHEEL SHIMMY

If a vehicle has body vibration or steering wheel shimmy while driving and the root cause is determined to be tire balance, re-balance the tires using a Hunter GSP9700 or equivalent balance machine.
And here’s Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancer:

C33974BC-2128-4B37-A448-B392088A31CC.jpeg

Have the vibration issues gone away/been corrected? There was a lot of heated discussion on this forum in 2019 when the 19" first appeared on the CX-5.
The 19" appeared with the first year 2013 CX-5. Had them on my 2016 and 2017.

And here’s Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancer:

Had the LX25's mounted up today and the DT guys were like a pit crew on it. That looks like the balance machine they used ... the Hunter GSP9700. I could see the road force wheel move in on the tire as it was spinning. In the past at other tire shops, when they balanced the tires they ran the machine, stuck the weights on and that was it. At DT, each tire they ran the balance machine again after applying the weights. Two tires they added more weight on second run (and ran them a third time) and two tires they pulled them off with no change. I was glad to see them run them twice on the balance machine.

$20/tire gets them mounted/new TPMS valve stem guts, road-force balance, lifetime rotation/balance after the sale. DT has free tire repairs and continental has 1yr (2/32 wear) road hazard and 3 years roadside service included.

The oem toyo's that came off were okay tires (for oem) as far as traction and noise and mileage went but they always had a slight vibration to the car from day one. I had Mazda balance the wheels again a couple weeks into ownership and it helped for a while but I always felt it. I'm looking forward to hopefully a nice smooth ride from the conti's :)

Had the LX25's mounted up today and the DT guys were like a pit crew on it. That looks like the balance machine they used ... the Hunter GSP9700. I could see the road force wheel move in on the tire as it was spinning. In the past at other tire shops, when they balanced the tires they ran the machine, stuck the weights on and that was it. At DT, each tire they ran the balance machine again after applying the weights. Two tires they added more weight on second run (and ran them a third time) and two tires they pulled them off with no change. I was glad to see them run them twice on the balance machine.
That’s why I always go to my local Discount Tire Store instead of Costco as DT seems to have better tire machines and better trained personnel. For 30+ years of my tire service I’d encountered only a couple of incidents with DT. One was the wheel got scratched on my 1985 VW Jetta GLI, and the second one was a stud got broken apparently by the boy who turned the air gun the wrong direction while loosing the lug nut on my 1998 Honda CR-V EX. Your DT seems to be going an extra miles as I don’t recall I’ve seen my DT store using a Hunter road force balancer to balance my tires.

$20/tire gets them mounted/new TPMS valve stem guts, road-force balance, lifetime rotation/balance after the sale.
I know DT offers some rebuild kit for those valve stems with TPMS sensor. I haven’t had any cars which has such TPMS sensor, and the installation has always been getting new rubber valve stems. Next time when I install the new tires for my 2016 CX-5 GT replacing the stock Toyo A23’s, I’ll look if my DT store also use that Hunter GSP9700 doing the road force balancing.

DT has free tire repairs and continental has 1yr (2/32 wear) road hazard and 3 years roadside service included.
Didn’t know these extra coverages from Continental at all. Now I know. Did you get DT’s road hazard insurance certs like SBMongoos did?

The oem toyo's that came off were okay tires (for oem) as far as traction and noise and mileage went but they always had a slight vibration to the car from day one. I had Mazda balance the wheels again a couple weeks into ownership and it helped for a while but I always felt it. I'm looking forward to hopefully a nice smooth ride from the conti's :)
So your 2019 CX-5 diesel is also suffering that infamous vibration on the highway? Please report us back if your new Conti’s still give you the same vibration if any.

First day on the LX25s. Very quiet and drive nice. It's nice how quiet they are on concrete highways. But most brand new tires do pretty good, right? I think these are quieter and feel different.

First day on the LX25s. Very quiet and drive nice. It's nice how quiet they are on concrete highways. But most brand new tires do pretty good, right? I think these are quieter and feel different.
Any sign of vibration on the high way like you used to have?

I have to comment on the number of people saying "they're fine, I'm not racing anyone". Racing has nothing to do with it. Take the example of a high performance summer tire. Forget racing, it will have superior handling in dry, wet, and rain - though lower tread life and not for snow. High performance isn't about racing, it's about better handling, traction, and safety. I'll spend money on things that truly improve my car before making it look pretty with trim, rims, lighting, etc. - but then again, I'm 50, not 26. YMMV

Same question, any sign of vibration on the high way with your new Continental CrossContact LX25 tires like you used to have with stock Toyo A36's?

2019 signature, 21k on the Toyos, I never had any vibration issues. They are quiet and have served their purpose even through two Northeast winters. That being said I am getting a set of Conti LX25s mounted tomorrow. Up sizing to 235/55-19 from OE 225s. I will report back after I get a couple hundred miles on them.

After 44k miles the Toyos were done. Honestly, probably should have replaced them a few months ago but they still had decent tread on them so I kept on driving.

Replaced with Falken Pro G5 CSV's in OE sizes and after a few days I'm quite impressed. Softer ride and more quiet than I remember the Toyos being even when new. Here in SoCal we rarely get rain so this is based on dry conditions with mostly highway miles.

Didn’t know these extra coverages from Continental at all. Now I know. Did you get DT’s road hazard insurance certs like SBMongoos did?
No. I never pay any extra for "tire insurance". I've never had much tire damage troubles through my life. DT's free repairs help with the occasional puncture and if I'm unlucky enough to destroy a tire I'll just eat it.
So your 2019 CX-5 diesel is also suffering that infamous vibration on the highway? Please report us back if your new Conti’s still give you the same vibration if any.
Yes, the oem toyo's had highway speed vibrations. More so in the first 10ish miles of driving and they would subside somewhat once they warmed up but never went away. It's was just a slight thing. I could live with it but always felt it. Not enough to make me want to throw away serviceable tires but more than enough to make me not ever consider toyo's on anything.
Same question, any sign of vibration on the high way with your new Continental CrossContact LX25 tires like you used to have with stock Toyo A36's?
I wanted to wait till I had a few miles on them to report. So, 1 week later and about 500 miles of mixed driving and I can happily report no vibration :) . In the two mile surface street drive home from the tire shop I could instantly feel the softer more plush ride and notice they were much quieter. Biggest difference in sound is on smaller impacts and bumps. They really soak them up and cushion the ride. Bigger bumps/impacts felt about the same as oem toyo's.

The toyo's would howl with complaint when pushed through turns / ramps and the conti's are silent and happy at the same speed. Wet traction on the Conti's is outstanding. Really great grip and hydroplaning resistance [... edit to reflect developed unacceptable hydroplaning resistance later] at highway speeds through heavy rain / standing water.

The Continental Cross Contact LX25 is in every way far superior to the oem Toyo A36.

I do tow with it from time to time and I don't expect any issues with the conti's in regards to towing but I'll report back if there is anything noteworthy.

Last edited:
No. I never pay any extra for "tire insurance". I've never had much tire damage troubles through my life. DT's free repairs help with the occasional puncture and if I'm unlucky enough to destroy a tire I'll just eat it.

Yes, the oem toyo's had highway speed vibrations. More so in the first 10ish miles of driving and they would subside somewhat once they warmed up but never went away. It's was just a slight thing. I could live with it but always felt it. Not enough to make me want to throw away serviceable tires but more than enough to make me not ever consider toyo's on anything.

I wanted to wait till I had a few miles on them to report. So, 1 week later and about 500 miles of mixed driving and I can happily report no vibration :) . In the two mile surface street drive home from the tire shop I could instantly feel the softer more plush ride and notice they were much quieter. Biggest difference in sound is on smaller impacts and bumps. They really soak them up and cushion the ride. Bigger bumps/impacts felt about the same as oem toyo's.

The toyo's would howl with complaint when pushed through turns / ramps and the conti's are silent and happy at the same speed. Wet traction on the Conti's is outstanding. Really great grip and hydroplaning resistance at highway speeds through heavy rain / standing water.

The Continental Cross Contact LX25 is in every way far superior to the oem Toyo A36.

I do tow with it from time to time and I don't expect any issues with the conti's in regards to towing but I'll report back if there is anything noteworthy.
Good news with no more vibration on the highway. What is the tire pressure that you use on LX25’s?

Back