Anyone Seen this yet!!....

Thats pretty cool. I want to see it in person. I hope to get a trailer hitch soon.

Whitesnake said:
I saw this in a pepboys paper... Its a backup sensor that you put on your trailer hitch!!.. They also make kits to install in bumpers too... I've been searching online...everyone sells it for at least $150. Trying to see if I can get it online at pepboys or someone like that... alot of articles on it..

http://www.echomaster.com/echomaster/echomaster/content/2_large.html

Nothing is better than turning your head and looking. There is an alarming increase in children being run over by people backing up because they are relying on the sensors instead of LOOKING. The sensors arent reliable enough, and by the time you react to it's tone, you've already hit whatever set it off.

Lets all be good drivers and stop expecting technology to think for us.

just because someone has sensors doesn't mean they don't look as well. but sure, there are people that would rely only on the sensor. i call those people idiots.

tviera said:
Thats pretty cool. I want to see it in person. I hope to get a trailer hitch soon.

Do you know if the rear bumper needs to be trimmed to fit/mount the OEM hitch? I had read that it needs to be notched.

sbmrinaldi said:
Do you know if the rear bumper needs to be trimmed to fit/mount the OEM hitch? I had read that it needs to be notched.
The OEM hitch uses a 1.25" receiver and yes, it does need the rear bumper to be manually notched.

I had a situation where pre-purchase the dealer indicated that the OEM hitch is a 2" receiver (my absolute requirement), but when the hitch actually arrived and was installed, it turned out be 1.25" -- be warned. In stark contrast to sranger's seat experience with his dealer elsewhere in this forum, my dealer (Kiesswetter Mazda in Kitchener, Ontario) went totally out of their way to fix this: they replaced the OEM hitch with my choice of 2" receiver hitch, left the OEM wiring harness in place, and because the new hitch did NOT require the bumper cutout, they REPLACED MY ENTIRE REAR BUMPER. Wow!

So, in summary, OEM hitch is 1.25" receiver and requires a bumper notch. At least some aftermarket CX-9 specific hitches do not require a bumper notch. In my case, the after market unit is a Hidden Hitch. Looks and fits great, 2" receiver, and 4000lb towing rating (the CX-9 is still 3500lb, but it's nice to have the mechanical margin and the effective increase in tongue weight rating to about 400-450lbs).

Lexx

The scanner part is removable. If so, it WILL BE removed....maybe by someone else, not by you! In addition, you may have to replace your broken side window, if they want to get the entire system c/w the receiver. Otherwise a good idea.

CX9 SportOwner said:
Nothing is better than turning your head and looking. There is an alarming increase in children being run over by people backing up because they are relying on the sensors instead of LOOKING. The sensors arent reliable enough, and by the time you react to it's tone, you've already hit whatever set it off.

Lets all be good drivers and stop expecting technology to think for us.
I don't have backup sensors and look while I am backing. I still would not be able to see a small child right behind my CX-7's big ass. (uhm)(shrug)

sbmrinaldi said:

It does but inside the bumper is a line marking where to trim the notch.

mountjonas said:
just because someone has sensors doesn't mean they don't look as well. but sure, there are people that would rely only on the sensor. i call those people idiots.

My co-worker throws is fx45 or 35 around just looking into the screen on his nav system!

Lex,

I'm interested in this hitch.
Can you throw up a picture of it?

Lexx said:
The OEM hitch uses a 1.25" receiver and yes, it does need the rear bumper to be manually notched.

I had a situation where pre-purchase the dealer indicated that the OEM hitch is a 2" receiver (my absolute requirement), but when the hitch actually arrived and was installed, it turned out be 1.25" -- be warned. In stark contrast to sranger's seat experience with his dealer elsewhere in this forum, my dealer (Kiesswetter Mazda in Kitchener, Ontario) went totally out of their way to fix this: they replaced the OEM hitch with my choice of 2" receiver hitch, left the OEM wiring harness in place, and because the new hitch did NOT require the bumper cutout, they REPLACED MY ENTIRE REAR BUMPER. Wow!

So, in summary, OEM hitch is 1.25" receiver and requires a bumper notch. At least some aftermarket CX-9 specific hitches do not require a bumper notch. In my case, the after market unit is a Hidden Hitch. Looks and fits great, 2" receiver, and 4000lb towing rating (the CX-9 is still 3500lb, but it's nice to have the mechanical margin and the effective increase in tongue weight rating to about 400-450lbs).

Lexx

There is also a low cost version available at walmart. It runs about $98 and includes an lcd screen you can mount on your visor or anywhere you want. The camera mounts on the license plate screws and the whole thing is wireless. Looks like a decent option for under $100.

Lex,

I'm interested in this hitch.
Can you throw up a picture of it?

I'll try to get photo out tonight. It won't be clean, the CX-9 has been on an off-the-beaten path roadtrip recently :).

Walmart backup camera

There is also a low cost version available at walmart. It runs about $98 and includes an lcd screen you can mount on your visor or anywhere you want. The camera mounts on the license plate screws and the whole thing is wireless. Looks like a decent option for under $100.

I think I'll go check this out. Here's the link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4744711

Here's the manufacturer link:
http://www.roadmasterusa.com/backupcamera_vr3.php

Update ---

I checked it out at the local WalMart, but was less than impressed. It'll be one more display sitting on your dash that is only used when you back up. For a big RV or a truck it might be a good solution, but either of the integrated Mazda solutions (nav system or mirror display) seem much better for the CX-9. Also, there is a warning about interference with cell phones / bluetooth.

Last edited:
I'll try to get photo out tonight. It won't be clean, the CX-9 has been on an off-the-beaten path roadtrip recently :).

Ok, so here are the pictures of the hitch. My apologies for the dirt, but I have not had the time to clean up the car before taking these photos tonight.

Back