Anyone receive the Warranty Extension Program SSP92 (Power Transfer Unit) letter ?

improved PTU part number

I received the PTU Warranty Extension (SSP 92) but haven't heard about the brake issue. Whats that all about?

Glad Mazda is doing something and I do hope if my 2014 AWD Touring PTU eats it, the new one is actually an improved part.

Could someone inbox me if they know the part number of the improved PTU

Can I just go to the dealer and verify my recently purchased 2010 GT with AWD has all the TSB's service? Do they do that? Or anyway I can check online?

The 2010 GT I planned on buying got snatched up under my feet. Next down the list is a 2012 GT with 44k miles and certified. Between the original Mazda warranty, the extended certified 100k power train warranty I'm not so concerned anymore.. Until I hit 100,001 miles I guess.. Lol.

If it has an issue, a simple test drive will usually tell you that. And after that, just you basic maintenance with fluid changes should keep it alive i think. Just dont with Mazdas recommended drain intervals as they consider that fluid "Lifetime".

And ive read that the newer transfer case is supposed to have an actual drain instead of having to use a pump to get it out. Im not sure if thats correct information or not though. I jacked my car up before, with my original one, And did the day the truck came home after getting the new transfer case, and visually they both looked the same to me. From the little i could see with it installed at least.

Well, I am not getting any love from Mazda. I have a 2011 CX-9 with the transfer case problem. My car is only 48 months old, but I have 94,000 miles on it. I've called the dealer, tried to reach out to the local rep (unsuccessfully so far) and called Customer Service multiple times. I'm basically being rejected because I do not take my CX-9 back to the dealership for routine maintenance (oil changes, tire rotation, etc.) - they haven't said that directly, but have hinted at it multiple times. BTW they moved their dealership farther away so that is one reason I do not go there for routine things. I also never received the letter. I feel this is a known issue and the spirit of the warranty extension was to fix THIS problem. Customer Service blames the dealer rep, the dealer blames customer service, etc. Nobody is taking accountability for rejecting my blame. I told them if this is not covered, that they've lost a customer for life including my wife and family. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Well, I am not getting any love from Mazda. I have a 2011 CX-9 with the transfer case problem. My car is only 48 months old, but I have 94,000 miles on it. I've called the dealer, tried to reach out to the local rep (unsuccessfully so far) and called Customer Service multiple times. I'm basically being rejected because I do not take my CX-9 back to the dealership for routine maintenance (oil changes, tire rotation, etc.) - they haven't said that directly, but have hinted at it multiple times. BTW they moved their dealership farther away so that is one reason I do not go there for routine things. I also never received the letter. I feel this is a known issue and the spirit of the warranty extension was to fix THIS problem. Customer Service blames the dealer rep, the dealer blames customer service, etc. Nobody is taking accountability for rejecting my blame. I told them if this is not covered, that they've lost a customer for life including my wife and family. Does anyone have any suggestions?

According to Mazda, the TC does not need service as it has lifetime fluid. Throw that to them and see how it plays out.

While they can deny a warranty claim for lack of service, they can't deny it because it wasn't done with them. Look up the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

The extended warranty only covers it to 90k miles. Unfortunately you are at 94k miles. Don't expect anything from them. If they do help you that would be good. They can say that they denied it due to the mileage being 94k. If you see that you cannot get anything from them ask an indy how much they would charge labor to replace the tc and get one from online. They run new oem around 600 dollars.

i have a dark fluid leaking from the transfer case area that doesn't have the smell of oil.

2011 with 71k miles.

at one of my past oil changes i heard the service adviser explaining to a lady that her transfer case was leaking and it would be covered by mazda and they had the part because it was a known problem. they gave her a loaner.

i'll be expecting the same easy treatment. glad it is happening now and i'll be getting the "improved" replacement.

glad it is happening now and i'll be getting the "improved" replacement.

There is no improved replacement. The only way they could improve the failure rate is to put a drain plug in the transfer case so the fluid could be changed at regular intervals and greatly increase it's capacity so it wouldn't have to be changed so often. If you're not changing it yourself every 20k miles or so with the procedure outlined on this forum expect to be replacing transfer cases every 50-80k miles.

There is no improved replacement. The only way they could improve the failure rate is to put a drain plug in the transfer case so the fluid could be changed at regular intervals and greatly increase it's capacity so it wouldn't have to be changed so often. If you're not changing it yourself every 20k miles or so with the procedure outlined on this forum expect to be replacing transfer cases every 50-80k miles.

Right on point. Any improvement would have added a drain plug for easier maintenance intervals or added more oil capacity,
if neither was implemented then 75W140 oil will still be stressed beyond it's application life and turn to sludge eventually.

see post #5

"1) The transfer cases have been completely redesigned by Ford and Mazda, improving the seals and case itself. It is now used on both the CX-9 and the Ford Edge
2) According to both service advisors, the 2012 TC does have a drain plug and the fluid can be exchanged. Germain recommends a 30,000 TC interval. Ricart did not recommend any interval, but the TC fluid exchange is only $150 at Ricart"

or....

i'll trade it in after another 50-70k miles... which is much more likely the case.

scheduled to drop it off tomorrow morning. they are providing a loaner. i'll ask them if they know if the T/C is different.

There is no improved replacement.

----UPDATE----

So the advisor I spoke to stated there are no updates to the new part.

Awesome. He said they get these in all the time; CX-9 and CX-7. He has seen them as early as 30k miles.

They were out of loaners so I got a free rental.

Last edited:
Hi there, you don't happen to know if this SSP for the PTU was issued world wide do you or was it just in the US?

Thanks

Indeed - does anyone know anything the extended warranty on these transfer cases in other countries besides in the U.S.?

We have a 2011 AWD CX-9 that has started to leak oil from the transfer case and I fear that it might indicate a more serious problem with it. But Mazda Sweden does not recognize this extended warranty...

Regards,
/Rikard, Sweden

What is the labor time to replace the transfer case. Also has anyone had theirs replaced where they had to pay for it, if so how much is the replacement.

Canadian Warranty covers trans. case for 7yrs or 145,000 km from the initial in-service date....No coverage that I know of on the brake booster issue... Checked with dealer when I picked up my new-to-me 12 cx 9 AWD yesterday....love the car!

Back