Anyone install Ambient Lighting?

:
2016 Mazda CX-9
Hey everyone!

Have any of you installed ambient lighting onto your doors and dash? I wanted the interior to look a bit cooler, but wanted to see how others installed their lights.

I’d greatly appreciate it if you could post some pictures and kindly explain your installation process. I don’t really feel comfortable tapping into the main power supply, so I wanted to find a system that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Thank you!
- Shawnee

I cannot comment directly on the Mazda as I have not done this update on mine. I do have an Audi and I followed this DIY a while back, I'd say the Mazda would be similar. The main point is the lights used in this video, I think they'd work well in any vehicle.

For what it's worth here's the link. That YouTuber also did his cup holder, foot wells and overhead console with the same LEDs and I did as well.

I like the idea but I have a concern. How is this ambient lighting affecting the night driving?

In my case they are tied in to the existing wiring and dim with the dashboard lighting. I keep them just at about 50% and I find it to be a nice glow without being distracting. I have them installed in such a way as to not have them shining at anything, it's all indirect lighting.

Tapped into ignition power (full brightness).

FD17FD7B-9452-4BFA-B21F-585673D69453.jpeg

I also put a white strip on each side that are tapped into the dome circuit.

C0D9BA29-C3C0-4663-8DC1-5AC08D26068D.jpeg

I went ahead and installed the foot well lighting as the weather was somewhat warm in NYC today. I found a fiber optic ambient lighting strip that can’t be installed into the door panels and dashboard. This ambient lighting kit (I provided the Amazon link) is powered through the cigarette lighter. Has anyone tried installing these into their CX-9?

Dreamcolor Interior Car Lights, WEBUPAR Car Accessories 6 in 1 Car LED Strip Lights with APP Control and 213 Modes, 175 inches 593 LEDs Acrylic Fiber Optic Lights, RGB Neon Car Lighting https://a.co/d/9xTfQ2M

Here’s the video of the footwell lighting. I like this purple-ish color and I kept the brightness around 60%-65% as it’s not too bright where it’s glaring on the windows, but bright enough to give the interior some pizazz haha.

Attachments

• IMG_1450.MOV
    3.3 MB
Hey everyone!

So, I went ahead and said, “f**k it” and bought the ambient lighting kit for the door panels. It was tedious to install the lighting strip into the gap, but after five long hours, I was able to install the kit. I hid the wires behind the plastic panels (like I said, I didn’t feel comfortable removing the door). All-in-all, it looks amazing, and I’m happy with the results. I attached a video showing the new lights on the door panels, and the old footwell lighting. Both kits are connected via a cigarette lighter because I didn’t feel comfortable hard powering the kit either. I’m only 21 and this is my first car, so I’m a bit hesitant to remove everything haha.

Best,
Shawnee

P.S. as much as I hate to admit it, the song is pretty catchy lmao

Attachments

• IMG_1556.MOV
    35.8 MB
Hey everyone,

Just making another post since I went ahead and added the lighting strip on the dashboard. I haven’t driven the car at night yet with the lights, however, at 100% brightness, there is some glare on the side windows. I lowered the brightness to 60% which reduced the glare substantially. I added another video showcasing the lights with the dashboard strip.

The shop I wanted to get these lights installed wanted $800, but I’m a broke medical student so I just installed them myself for $40 (the cost of the kit).

A few years down the road I plan on installing stars into the headliner. I’ll make another post then.

Best,
Shawnee

Attachments

• IMG_1568.MOV
    45 MB
Back