Anyone have problem with the hatch/trunk unlatching randomly?

Riddle497

:
2013 Mazda CX5 GT
Has anyone had a problem with their trunk/hatch? I'll get out of the car and not lock it or touch anything, and when I return I start the car and notice the door ajar light is on on the instrument panel. The trunk will partially unlatch all on its own. I have to get back out of the car and open the trunk then shut it again. It's quite the pain. The dealership service guy says he has no idea what to tell me. Its not something that can really be replicated, it just happens when it happens.

15k miles and never an issue. Are you sure your closing it properly if you open it when exiting, or before entering the car?

Yup. Ill drive, park, get out and shut the driver door. DO NOTHING ELSE. When I return, get in, and shut the driver door, the door ajar light will come on. Ill check the trunk and it'll be partially unlatched.

Trip to the dealer me thinks? Seriously you could have something of value in the trunk (maybe a pooch or some equipment) and don't want this to fly out of the car.

After you close it firmly, did you give it a good tug to open and see if it is fully locked? If not then close it more firmly and try again. Ed

After you close it firmly, did you give it a good tug to open and see if it is fully locked? If not then close it more firmly and try again. Ed

I agree with this. At times when I close the rear door, it doesn't latch. I've always caught it, but I'm wondering if this could be your problem? Seems that when you open the rear, you have to wait a couple of seconds before you close it for it to latch. Open and close too quickly, and it doesn't latch.

I agree with this. At times when I close the rear door, it doesn't latch. I've always caught it, but I'm wondering if this could be your problem? Seems that when you open the rear, you have to wait a couple of seconds before you close it for it to latch. Open and close too quickly, and it doesn't latch.

I've had this happen and I think it is the air pressure inside the car (with all the doors and windows closed) offering resistance upon trying to close the hatch. I've tested it by opening a door or window and closing the hatch again and you can feel the difference (no pressure resistance).

Sounds like the electric liftgate opener may be malfunctioning.
From p. 3-20 OM:
Closing the liftgate
To close, lower the liftgate slowly using the liftgate grip recess, and then push the liftgate closed using both hands. Do not slam it. Pull up on the liftgate to make sure it is secure.
When the liftgate is unlocked by pressing the electric liftgate opener, the liftgate raises slightly to allow it to be opened. If the liftgate is not operated for a certain period of time after the electric liftgate opener has been pressed, the liftgate cannot be raised any more from its slightly raised position. Press the electric liftgate opener again to fully open the liftgate. To close the liftgate from its slightly raised position, open it first by pressing the electric liftgate opener, and waiting for 1 second or longer then close it. The door-ajar warning light will illuminate if the liftgate is not fully closed.
The sound of the latch may be heard for a few seconds after the electric liftgate opener has been pressed, however, this does not indicate a malfunction.

Yeah I've had the issue of it not latching, opening it and waiting a second to reset then closing again. I know the hatch is closed because the door ajar light is not on. If I do nothing at all with the hatch between exiting and re-entering the car the light will come on and the hatch will be partially unlatched. It is not me not closing it properly as I've been dealing with checking that it's closed since day one.

Yeah I've had the issue of it not latching, opening it and waiting a second to reset then closing again. I know the hatch is closed because the door ajar light is not on. If I do nothing at all with the hatch between exiting and re-entering the car the light will come on and the hatch will be partially unlatched. It is not me not closing it properly as I've been dealing with checking that it's closed since day one.
As I said, that sounds like the electric liftgate opener may be malfunctioning. I would have the dealer check it (and I wouldn't leave valuables in the car till you're satisfied it's working correctly). Best of luck.

Well this is stupid. They put a handle inthe liftgate but you cant use it to close it. You ahve to put both hands on the outside, dirty paint, scratching the car to close it? This is in the manual? Sounds like the electronic sensor should be better designed.

I had problems like this my first couple of weeks with the CX-5, but it was the way I closed the hatch. I too originally thought it was randomly unlatching, I now close it with slightly more force and haven't had the problem since.

If you are certain that you are closing it properly, then take it to the dealer. Someone on the forum had an experience with the liftgate switch malfunctioning. Though it was the opposite of your situation. It would stay latched.

I'm having a similar problem but I know what my issue is...I wear my wallet in my front pocket with my key and whenever I sit down, it presses the trunk release button! I've come out to my car both at work and at home to find my trunk wide-open!

From what I can see there is NO WAY to actually lock the trunk, valet-style which is really annoying. I'm looking for ways to disable the button on the key and I'm even wondering if a CX-5 key without the trunk-release button could be coded to work with a 2014 Mazda6?

It may be down to trial and error. Mazda has a history of two cars sharing a remote that is EXACTLY the same in dimension and appearance, but the manufacturers are different, thus using different frequencies. E.G. the RX-8 and Mazda3/6 used switchblade remotes that are identical by appearance, but could not be coded to work with each other for remote functions (can be coded for ignition).

I've had this happen and I think it is the air pressure inside the car (with all the doors and windows closed) offering resistance upon trying to close the hatch. I've tested it by opening a door or window and closing the hatch again and you can feel the difference (no pressure resistance).

bingo, that is the right answer. My brother is a tech and he said some manufacture use a vent with doors to relieve interior pressure when closing the rear hatch. air pressure does it.

Back