Anyone have post-warranty luck on CX-5 folding mirror problems?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
So my third 2019 Signature folding mirrors aren’t folding all the way.
I’m obviously well beyond the three year warranty so really unhappy.
I found a couple of Mazda TSBs about this on another thread and wondered if anyone had managed to get Mazda to pay for new mirrors?
So otherwise I’ll just leave them in a locked open position…dumb question but how do I do that?

If I had to guess I would put the inside switch to the open position think it's one counterclockwise click from the mirrors retracted position then move the mirrors by hand to the open position.

Curvesahead…I tried it and it and it actually worked. Fingers crossed it will stay fixed. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

Curvesahead…I tried it and it and it actually worked. Fingers crossed it will stay fixed. Thanks very much for the suggestion!
Many simply just disabled the “auto-folding” feature to prevent “over-using” this feature. Or there’s a repair kit available from China and you can follow the detailed repair procedure from the TSB to replace the worn-out or stuck parts due to water intrusion.

Good point yrwei52. I've driven many, many brands of cars oer 40 years without automatic "folding mirrors". Maybe I'll just disable the function and it will be one less thing to go wrong.

Good point yrwei52. I've driven many, many brands of cars oer 40 years without automatic "folding mirrors". Maybe I'll just disable the function and it will be one less thing to go wrong.
Power-folding mirrors are great at the tight parking lot in the crowded city environment. I’d some experience that the parking space is so tight that I’d to fold the outside mirrors to squeeze my car in, and climb out from passenger side front door window as I couldn’t open the door wide enough to get out!

Some like to use the auto power-folding mirrors as a flag that the car is locked. That’s nice but do you really want to risk the parts to wear out too early due to your frequent usage?

Actually this’s not a problem using the auto power-folding mirrors if you had a Lexus. Many friends of mine having auto power-folding mirrors on their RX and NX and they all set to auto folding when the engine is off. Several of them are over 15 years old and over 100,000 miles. They all have the auto folding power mirrors working for all these years non-stop.

Somehow Mazda just couldn’t design its power-folding mirrors correctly for last 10+ years. We’ve seen several versions of TSB for Mazda’s power-folding mirrors as early as 2013 for world-wide market.

There is no evidence/data that Mazda's auto-folding mirrors have higher failure rate than other brands'. Better design can reduce failure rate (dust/water mitigation, not using plastic gears, etc. ). However, you can find many Lexus owners having problems with their auto-folding mirrors also.

My suggestions:
1. don't spray water directly into gaps of mirrors. (tape them up before wash)
2. use air duster spray to clean the gaps frequently (the moving tracks)

There is no evidence/data that Mazda's auto-folding mirrors have higher failure rate than other brands'. Better design can reduce failure rate (dust/water mitigation, not using plastic gears, etc. ). However, you can find many Lexus owners having problems with their auto-folding mirrors also.

My suggestions:
1. don't spray water directly into gaps of mirrors. (tape them up before wash)
2. use air duster spray to clean the gaps frequently (the moving tracks)
Here:

It*s a known fault. There is a kit to fix water ingress but time wise they usually end up fitting a new mirror.

0-DF4539-C-F922-42-A6-9-C49-1056-C5272803.png

I*ve had these folding mirrors fail on my 16, 17 and 18. This 19 is only 6 months old so early days. I would think the mechanism is the same as unobs so the improved sealing not come through yet. We get a 3 year warranty so not concerned and if it fails outside the warranty it can stay failed. I*ll get out and fold it. You can now buy the motor separately but getting it out with breaking the glass is unlikely. My complete mirror has the 360 cameras so I expect a complete mirror to be $1000.

As above.

Yes, the mirror is the same essentially but the way Mazda deal with warranty is different.

It*s a known fault. There is a kit to fix water ingress but time wise they usually end up fitting a new mirror.

0-DF4539-C-F922-42-A6-9-C49-1056-C5272803.png

Dont let them put new mirrors on unob, there is a repair kit with beefed up motors and better seals that will end the mirror issue.

Mirror folding failure

There’re so many reports on power-folding mirror failure in this forum. Many TSBs have issued by Mazda for this problem since early days. If there’s no problem with higher failure rate, we won’t see several TSBs by Mazda and that many complaints.

You can show us a single TSB on power-folding mirrors issued by Lexus to convince us since you claimed many Lexus owners having problems with their auto-folding mirrors also.

There was an issue with the sealing of the motors. I've had main replaced in my previous 2020 CX-5 on a warranty. WD-40 works well but not for too long.
If they don't want to replace them after warranty you can always buy new electric motors and replace them on your own with youtube.

Some like to use the auto power-folding mirrors as a flag that the car is locked. That’s nice but do you really want to risk the parts to wear out too early due to your frequent usage?
I didn't buy a car with these features...to not use them because of a fear of them...wearing out. Just never been "that guy".

Here:

Mirror folding failure

There’re so many reports on power-folding mirror failure in this forum. Many TSBs have issued by Mazda for this problem since early days. If there’s no problem with higher failure rate, we won’t see several TSBs by Mazda and that many complaints.

You can show us a single TSB on power-folding mirrors issued by Lexus to convince us since you claimed many Lexus owners having problems with their auto-folding mirrors also.
yrwei,
TSBs are not real scientific data. Maybe Mazda issues TSBs more frequently to their dealers.
A simple google search below.
I don't have solid data either.
Let us not side-track this thread.

1697482318176.png

You can always disable the function then when you need it just turn the mirror adjustment knob clockwise (couple clicks) and they will fold. Couple clicks counterclockwise and they will re-open.

Back