anyone have pics of SSAFC wiring?

Go to the SSAFC thread. Someone there just had the same problem with the "port error" and someone told him how to address it there. See post #1585

Last edited:
Go to the SSAFC thread. Someone there just had the same problem with the "port error" and someone told him how to address it there. See post #1585

thanks, I'll go look at that

edit: I am having the same issue as that post but I have tried using ports that were not used and it does the same thing. When I installed drivers for the cable, the default port was com 14. I went to the device manager, pick the cable, went to advanced settings, and changed com 14 to an unused port which for some reason is only com 1 and 2 on my laptop. Neither one of those will work and I chose the corresponding port in the r4 software as well. Nothing works.

Last edited:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2weld

You don't have to solder them. And soldering irons that are worth a damn aren't $5... You buy a s*** soldering iron, you get bad "cold solder joints" that are worse than regular crimped connectors. Additionally, if you're a newb to soldering, which it sounds like you are, read a brief "how-to" or something so you're not going in blind. You NEED to use Rosin Core Solder.

I'd say more people are using regular connections over soldering, but to each his own. And for the people insisting that the ECU needs to have soldered connections, do me a favor and look around at every piece of electrical equipment in your house, and you'll find way more crimped connections than soldered.

I build VERY expensive pieces of diagnostics equipment for GE Energy, and we use harnesses, crimp connectors, etc.. only printed circuit boards get solder, for obvious reasons.

lol, wtf dude? u should know better then to compair electrical wiring from a house to a car. house wiring doesnt control fuel trims and timing, etc. nothing alike.

I have spent an entire day messing with this thing and still can't freaking connect. Im about one second away from connecting this with a round from my glock

Do you have a friend around with a different laptop? Maybe try installing the software on a different/updated laptop.

Do you have a friend around with a different laptop? Maybe try installing the software on a different/updated laptop.

I wish I did, everyone that I know of is currently deployed to Afghanistan right now. Everyone else has desktops. I am going to try using a different brand of cable and see if that does anything. I went to both Wal Marts in my area and neither one of them have the type of cable needed to hook up to it, and of course all of the office supply stores like Office Max, Staples, and Home Depot are all closed.

lol, wtf dude? u should know better then to compair electrical wiring from a house to a car. house wiring doesnt control fuel trims and timing, etc. nothing alike.

Smarty pants, I'm talking about appliances, electronics, not ******* residential wiring. This is what I do for a job, Electro-Mechanical builds and testing. I build $200,000 data acquisition and monitoring systems for GE, and the only place we use solder is on the PCB's.

Did you forget that your main wiring harness on the car connects to the ECU via wiring harness connector, AKA NOT solder..? ? The only place our car uses solder is on circuit board connections. All these super sensitive sensors you speak of, guess what, they have at least 1 or two harness style connections(crimped) before they see the ECU, did you forget that ?

Last edited:
You should take a pic of the wiring for future reference for when someone else is looking for the same information

I probably will, my passenger side floor is a mess right now..lol wires everywhere. Im going to leave my ECU out for a day or two in case something happens(maybe that's just me being extra cautious)

I finally got connected to the program and everything seems to be working now. First start up was really rough and the car stalled out. Second start up was the same, the engine stalled then caught itself and kept running. Idle was rough and gradually smoothed out. Took it for a test drive around the block but now, whenever I shift into neutral, the car feels like it wants to stall and the RPMs drop really low. My guess is probably where I tapped for a vacuum source. Other than that, no issues for now. I will probably test it out fully tomorrow.

Im guessing you reset the battery?> Thats usually the symptoms I get after doing so. After 30mi or so it evens out.

Back