anyone have pics of SSAFC wiring?

Spiced MSP

:
2016 Peterbilt 579
I have my SSAFC now and I also have a copy of the instructions and the wiring diagram from the AFC map thread. But, I would like to know if anyone has pics of how they connected the wires to the ECU harness?

um, if u had money to get the ssafc in the first place then u have the 5 bucks to spend on a soldering iron and another 10 for the wire cutter/strippers. u dont wanna skimp out on ur ecu wires.

um, if u had money to get the ssafc in the first place then u have the 5 bucks to spend on a soldering iron and another 10 for the wire cutter/strippers. u dont wanna skimp out on ur ecu wires.

I didn't know they were that cheap, it's not everyday that I go shopping around for a soldering iron(dunno)

get a wire holder jig. i dont know how much they cost but makes it sooooooooo much less maddening to solder wires together. its just a weighted stand with some clip arms.

shouldnt cost you more than $25/$30 to get set up and considering the $400 afc your installing, you'll live =)

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2weld

You don't have to solder them. And soldering irons that are worth a damn aren't $5... You buy a s*** soldering iron, you get bad "cold solder joints" that are worse than regular crimped connectors. Additionally, if you're a newb to soldering, which it sounds like you are, read a brief "how-to" or something so you're not going in blind. You NEED to use Rosin Core Solder.

I'd say more people are using regular connections over soldering, but to each his own. And for the people insisting that the ECU needs to have soldered connections, do me a favor and look around at every piece of electrical equipment in your house, and you'll find way more crimped connections than soldered.

I build VERY expensive pieces of diagnostics equipment for GE Energy, and we use harnesses, crimp connectors, etc.. only printed circuit boards get solder, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
get a wire holder jig. i dont know how much they cost but makes it sooooooooo much less maddening to solder wires together. its just a weighted stand with some clip arms.

shouldnt cost you more than $25/$30 to get set up and considering the $400 afc your installing, you'll live =)

If you do decide to solder, listen to this man, and either buy or build a jig to hold the wires so you can concentrate on soldering them well. Way easier this way.

You dont have to solder but its a much cleaner install than wire taps and
crimps.
You may never see it but when you do it looks pretty ghetto.
Of course a little expandable wire sleeving and heat shrink cleans things up nice.

Def looks cleaner...

Main point of my post is that an amateur solder job can be worse than just wrapping wires together and using electrical tape (ghetto).

I had a friend of mine wire it in for me but now when I try to access the program, it pops up with a window saying "error com port 53" even if I set it up for like com 2 or something. If I got to com 1, it tries to access the program, then the entire window goes away. I checked the device manager, the USB to serial cable is on Com 1 and there is another line that says communications port that is on com 2, I tried both of them and it does the same thing.

Try all the other ports. If nothing works, reinstall the drivers and make sure it's the most up to date one.

I also assume the Serial cable you got is a RS-232

its a belkin cable FSU409-CU, it came with the driver software and I tried a few ports that weren't used

Last edited:
Back