Anyone else having brake part sourcing problems?

I've tried several online parts suppliers for some Mazda CX-5 rotor-pad kits and most are out (not-OEM, but Powerstop Brand). Or would most go with the OEM rotors/pads for now? Time for brakes and having local Mazda do it is ...well...rather expensive versus doing it in my own garage.

Any luck buying the parts separate vs a kit?

I like Raybestos and have used them for years with great results. Element3 pads and rotors IIRC

Upvote 0
I've tried several online parts suppliers for some Mazda CX-5 rotor-pad kits and most are out (not-OEM, but Powerstop Brand). Or would most go with the OEM rotors/pads for now? Time for brakes and having local Mazda do it is ...well...rather expensive versus doing it in my own garage.
Must be the supply chain issue especially for those goods from China where the trade war is still going on.

I have no problems using OEM brake pads and rotors, and have been using them for all vehicles I’ve owned. Some OEM’s such as Honda does include brake grease、shims、guide plates / springs in the brake pad kit which is something I like. Mazda’s brake pad kit, like most aftermarket brake pad kit, seems not including these additional parts though and have to get them separately.

Not sure why you have to go to Mazda dealer paying high price to have the brake job done with OEM brake pads and rotors. Just get Mazda pads and rotors online, and replace them in your garage if you can DIY.

And if you’re going to DIY, make sure you’re aware the”Maintenance Mode” and no-turn on caliper pistons on rear brakes if your CX-5 has the EPB.

Upvote 0
I'll second the Raybestos Element 3 pads. Been working great. Though I bought them elsewhere for a couple dollars more, I later saw that RockAuto had them (front pads including stainless steel pad guides which Mazda sells separately) for about $35 at the time. Have you tried RockAuto? They carry a pretty extensive lineup. Even the OEM Mazda parts were available online from Mazda dealers on ebay. I've had good service from Avondale Mazda in Arizona and Cox Mazda in Florida for OEM stuff.

Upvote 0
I have seen some parts separate, mostly for OEM. I haven't tried Rockauto (I always use them for my truck...duh! Never even thought of the CX-5...) Thanks for recommendation on the Element 3 (Raybestos) and reminding me about RA. (Completely forgot about RA... even got my Powerstop kit from them for my Ford!)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I second to RA. I've been using Akebono ProAct ceramic pads for all of my vehicles, they last very very long time, to 100,000 miles. They usually outlasted cars, never had to replace again, lol.
Heard good things about Element 3, I'm going to try it next time.

Upvote 0
I second to RA. I've been using Akebono ProAct ceramic pads for all of my vehicles, they last very very long time, to 100,000 miles. They usually outlasted cars, never had to replace again, lol.
Heard good things about Element 3, I'm going to try it next time.
Not to rain on your parade (or others), but on my last car (which I had for over 10 years) I replaced the Autozone Duralast Gold ceramic pads with Akebono ProAct. The Duralast pads lasted over 7 years and even though they could have gone longer, I got tired of their marginal "grab" especially when cold. Reading marvelous things about the ProAct on automotive boards, I sprung for a full set of the very pricey pads. Major disappointment. Not much better than the one's taken off. At least the car got new rotors, calipers and brake hoses at the same time.

So, yes, they may not need replacing again, but maybe their hardness contributed to poor bite. Kinda reminds me of auto chain stores selling "lifetime" pads that were so hard that they ate rotors but never wore out and had be warranted by the store. Having gone through a few sets of ceramic pads of different brands including Mazda, I've never been truly satisfied with any of them. I missed the excellent braking of semi-metallic pads of years prior (my BMW had disc brakes and semi's in the early '70's). My old Toyota Celica from years ago had Akebono semi's with just excellent braking. The Raybestos Element 3 are a 'hybrid' pad of semi-metallic and ceramic and in my book are better than the ceramics.

Maybe our resident brake expert Anchorman can give some input on this subject. Probably tell me I'm FOS but that's OK. Didn't mean to write a book here but ceramic pads are a bit of a 'hot button' with me. Carry on or disregard. G'day.

Upvote 0

Power Stop from Rock Auto last year. See details in above link.

Upvote 0
Yep, a few years back rear brakes and rotors cost me close to $300 installed from the dealer. Now one dealer quoted $415 and another quoted $480...

Upvote 0
Got POWERSTOP set front & rear from Summit Racing $328 w/tax free shipping, these brakes are easy if you got the right tools, but did mine in my driveway.

Upvote 0
Back