Anyone delete DRL relay on the 2022 Turbo Signature?

ch3no2

'23 CX-5 Turbo Sig
As discussed here in post #231...

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/how-to-disable-daytime-running-lights-instructions.123829602/page-12

Curious if this works for the new 2022 so when driving with the lights in the off position it looks like this:

2022-mazda-cx-5-29_1600x0w.jpg

I disabled the DRL's in my 2021 CX-5 using what I believe was the same procedure listed in post #165.
I've attached a couple of the procedures that I had printed out when I did mine.
It's somewhat tricky and it took me two or three tries to get it to work.

Attachments

• running_lights.jpg
    running_lights.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Mazda CX-5 Daytime Running Light DRL Deactivation.pdf
    331.6 KB · Views: 217
As discussed here in post #231...

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/how-to-disable-daytime-running-lights-instructions.123829602/page-12

Curious if this works for the new 2022 so when driving with the lights in the off position it looks like this:

View attachment 310494

We're in the same boat with our new '22 Premium. I tried the "video game" directions and thought it worked, but it didn't. In reading through the manual, it looks like the option to disable the DRLs is unlocked when you sign up for Connected Services, but I wonder what happens when you don't renew at the end of the 3 free years - does the car reset to default settings?

I will likely pull the DRL relay and just switch the stalk to the parking light position to achieve the look you posted in the picture.

If anyone with a '22 has experienced success with the "video game" method of disabling the DRLs, please let us know in this thread!

1659186842339.png

Just providing my input regarding the ridiculous procedure (that could simply be a menu setting).

It says "within 2 seconds," but it isn't. You need to do the whole thing very quickly for it to work, in my experience. When I did the steps with a ~1 sec delay between steps, it wouldn't work, but with less than that, it did. Lots of people had difficulty with it.

View attachment 311927

Just providing my input regarding the ridiculous procedure (that could simply be a menu setting).

It says "within 2 seconds," but it isn't. You need to do the whole thing very quickly for it to work, in my experience. When I did the steps with a ~1 sec delay between steps, it wouldn't work, but with less than that, it did. Lots of people had difficulty with it.

Thanks - I'm going to give it another try today. Any input on whether it's ignition position 1 vs 2? The document doesn't explicitly call out one or the other.

Well, I couldn't get the documented method to work on our '22 so I simply pulled the DRL relay. Mission accomplished!

Well, I couldn't get the documented method to work on our '22 so I simply pulled the DRL relay. Mission accomplished
When you did this does it mean only the halo lights are lit when you're driving?

When you did this does it mean only the halo lights are lit when you're driving?
So, here's what pulling the DRL relay does:

In the OFF position, you have no lights. No headlights, no halos, nothing.
In the AUTO position, you get your normal headlights/halos with high/low beam functionality for nighttime driving.
In the >< (parking) position, you now get JUST the halos, no DRL/headlights like when the relay was in.

So, to drive with just the halos after pulling the relay, you need to put the stalk in the parking light position. Hope this helps!

Why would you want your DRL off? It's a great yet simple safety feature.
And it's unlikely that the 2021/2022's have the issue that the 2016 had.

for future reference if somebody looks for this,

The same procedure (the steps with the light switch and hazard light switch) works on cx5 2022 to disable the DRLs. One just have to be quick in doing it.

Last edited:
Back