Any way to get SiriusXM installed?

My CX-5 does not come with SirusXM. Is there a way I can get this in my car? In my previous car (a CX-7), I had the dealer installed it even though it didn't come with it. That was in 2010. With the CX-5 however, the dealer told me to just use the phone app for SirusXM. Would appreciate any insights. Thanks.

That's a fantastic way of saying that the car doesn't have SiriusXM. Salesmen will do everything they can to sell what benefits them the most (in this case, what's in their inventory I guess)
Indeed, especially to a couple in their 70's who are not tech savvy. Why not fully explain that this particular trim does not have it standard but there is a workaround using the app and how to set up that workaround. My MIL left there expecting it to work because the salesman said it would after helping her download the app.

@theblooms Very funny but sadly a true statement. She texted me later saying that she got it working. She called the salesman, who actually stepped up this time and explained in detail that to use the app, she has to be connected to ACP. He told her to call, not chat, SiriusXM and they would set up her new account. She said the app account was created in under five minutes and the time left on their Jeep account was pro-rated to this new account. Why couldn't he take two extra minutes to explain this to her before they drove off?!

So there is a way to use SiriusXM in those trims not equipped with it if you have access to ACP. To do so, you must download the app, call Sirius to create your account and then use ACP to access the app. I am going to guess this will work with AA as well.

To my knowledge, every single app installed on your phone uses data from your cellphone plan unless connected to a wifi network, of course. If you don't have unlimited data usage, you wanna be careful how you use that app. It will add up to your bill. Using SiriusXM app it's like using any other app, YouTube or what not. I have a subscription with SiriusXM, I pay for Traffic Plus and something else, I can't remember from the top of my head. In the subscription I have the app included but I've never used it because my car has SiriusXM option so no need for the app.
This is what I was thinking as well. If you are using an app, then you are going through your carrier's network, in this case to obtain the satellite signal.

Guess my next text should be to my SIL to give her a heads up. But first, I am going to ask why in the world does she not have unlimited data?! :LOL:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My CX-5 does not come with SirusXM. Is there a way I can get this in my car? In my previous car (a CX-7), I had the dealer installed it even though it didn't come with it. That was in 2010. With the CX-5 however, the dealer told me to just use the phone app for SirusXM. Would appreciate any insights. Thanks.
If it's a first gen, it's super easy, because they have standard DIN size radios. Throw in a Pioneer, Alpine, or Kenwood radio, and there you go.

Second gen, if it has an Aux port, you can always add an outboard tuner and jack it into the aux port. Something like this.

Upvote 0
This is what I was thinking as well. If you are using an app, then you are going through your carrier's network, in this case to obtain the satellite signal.
Just to be clear here... *IF* your car has Sirius built-in, then it will also have a satellite antenna and pull the music streams directly from the satellite.

If it doesn't, you can use the Sirius app on a phone and stream over cellular data & network. In this case there is *NO* satellite transmission involved! The Sirius streams travel via land network and then over cellular.

Upvote 0
Just came in here to see if there were any other viable options. My FIL and MIL just traded in their 2019 Jeep Cherokee for a 2023 CX-5 Select. She has been texting me non-stop, while chatting with Sirius, since she can't find XM to select channel 0. I just let her know that it is not available on her trim but she is adamant that the salesman told her she could use it via the app. This is their first Mazda and I now fear it will be their last because the salesman had no idea of what he was talking about.

I gave her the VAIS option but not sure that they want to pay $350 for it. Especially since she feels she was lied to.

I will suggest using the app via BT with the understanding that the signal may drop, etc. But first, I better check with my SIL who has my MILs phone on her account. I am pretty sure my SIL still does not have an unlimited data plan.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

The salesman was correct. Install the app on her phone, have her log in and connect the phone via Bluetooth. Works great, uses data, lots if you choose high quality audio, but I can't stand the sound of low res MP3.

Upvote 0
I can understand why someone might be confused by how little data was used over cellular. Audio uses like 1 8th of the bandwidth that video does. You can stream for a long time on cellular and not use a ton of data.

Upvote 0
Back