Any way to get SiriusXM installed?

My CX-5 does not come with SirusXM. Is there a way I can get this in my car? In my previous car (a CX-7), I had the dealer installed it even though it didn't come with it. That was in 2010. With the CX-5 however, the dealer told me to just use the phone app for SirusXM. Would appreciate any insights. Thanks.

I don't think there is a solution directly from Mazda. I found this as a solution, but I haven't tried this myself so I don't know if/how well it works.

Upvote 0
One of my cars doesn't have Sirius and dealer wants $350 to install. I use my phone app and connect to car speakers via bluetooth....no problem.

Upvote 0
i don't like it when they say to use the app. that's running on cellular which is (obv.) not the same as running on satellite signal. of course, nowadays, many if not most cell plans (at least in the states) include unlimited data, but you're still depending on having a cellular signal (don't get me started on trees blocking my satellite signal though), plus you have to control it via your phone. there are also standalone satellite receivers you can get through siriusxm (or from other places) that you can wire up in your car and connect to your aux. jack. SXM often offers these for cheap or free to subscribers. i've avoided all of this so far, since having gotten hooked to SXM, but I have to include SXM as an included feature on whichever car i choose - i would've considered a cx-5 touring/preferred if it came with SXM, for example.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Looks like if your trim does not come with SXM, you cannot get it as an option from Mazda. I also just found out that there is no AUX port in my CX-5!

Upvote 0
i wish they (whoever they may be) would be careful about removing ports and features of the infotainment/stereo system. first they take away our CD players, now ports people were using to replace the missing CD player. It's like they do focus groups with just gen z and don't care about us older folks who actually use the older features and ports. what's odd is that i used to use an ipod or hard drive of some sort hooked up to my stereos back in the 2000s and early 2010s, but then stopped using them and started using CDs and then SiriusXM and, now, i'm not sure where to start to reclaim my digital media and use it in the car, if i should lose SiriusXM.

Upvote 0
I don't think there is a solution directly from Mazda. I found this as a solution, but I haven't tried this myself so I don't know if/how well it works.

It works, but it takes up one of your USB ports. It's a lot less fiddly than my phone. The easy place to put the antenna is beside the GPS antenna where the center channel speaker is. The roof sometimes blocks the signal, though. One alternative is to replace the shark fin with one that includes a sat radio antenna, but it looks to require removal of the headliner.

Upvote 0
Just came in here to see if there were any other viable options. My FIL and MIL just traded in their 2019 Jeep Cherokee for a 2023 CX-5 Select. She has been texting me non-stop, while chatting with Sirius, since she can't find XM to select channel 0. I just let her know that it is not available on her trim but she is adamant that the salesman told her she could use it via the app. This is their first Mazda and I now fear it will be their last because the salesman had no idea of what he was talking about.

I gave her the VAIS option but not sure that they want to pay $350 for it. Especially since she feels she was lied to.

I will suggest using the app via BT with the understanding that the signal may drop, etc. But first, I better check with my SIL who has my MILs phone on her account. I am pretty sure my SIL still does not have an unlimited data plan.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Upvote 0
As posted above, I use the phone app. Signal drops are very rarely....no big deal. But maybe it depends where you live....country or metro. Its my understanding listening to Sirius via satellite doesn't use your phone data, however, streaming services like Pandora will

Upvote 0
@gphin Thanks and good to know. We are more metro but there are a few places where phone calls are known to fall into the abyss. So using the Sirius app does not use data?

Upvote 0
@gphin Thanks and good to know. We are more metro but there are a few places where phone calls are known to fall into the abyss. So using the Sirius app does not use data?
This is the most informative article I've seen regarding the subject. I don't see any noticeable data usage difference on my ATT plan when using Sirius on long road trips.

Upvote 0
So using the Sirius app does not use data?
To my knowledge, every single app installed on your phone uses data from your cellphone plan unless connected to a wifi network, of course. If you don't have unlimited data usage, you wanna be careful how you use that app. It will add up to your bill. Using SiriusXM app it's like using any other app, YouTube or what not. I have a subscription with SiriusXM, I pay for Traffic Plus and something else, I can't remember from the top of my head. In the subscription I have the app included but I've never used it because my car has SiriusXM option so no need for the app.

Upvote 0
Back