Any experiences with paintless dent repairs?

We had some bad hail here and my 2021 got it's hatch and drivers rear quarter beat up.
Is PDR a gimmick, or is it good to go?

Yes - I posted awhile back about PDR but I'll reiterate. Awhile back my wife hit the garage post while backing out of our garage. She did a number on the drivers side quarter panel. It was a mess.
I'd estimated about $1200.00 at the body shop and they would use a ton of bondo. I looked around for a PDR guy just to see if they could do anything. I texted him a couple photos. He said he could fix it and we scheduled a date/time and he came out. He worked on it in the driveway. After about an hour he was done. It was amazing, it looked perfect. You could not tell where the damage was.
Luckily hitting the post did not remove any paint. Not sure what they do when paint is scrapped off.
He charge $400.00. It was worth twice that.

I kicked myself because about 4 years earlier somebody ran their bicycle handlebars across the front quarterpanel of my 16 Touring and left a crease in the sheet metal. I had a body shop repair it and it was $800.00. It was about 1/10th the damage compared to what my wife did to the 19 GTR with the garage.

My experience was 110% positive. Make sure you check reviews if you go that route.

We had some bad hail here and my 2021 got it's hatch and drivers rear quarter beat up.
Is PDR a gimmick, or is it good to go?
My son's 2020 Honda CRV had some significant hail damage. I was amazed at the results from PDR. My personal first experience was smacking one of the doors on my former VW Passat into a workbench. I took it to a local shop & watched the guy work his magic. He showed me step by step how he approaches each repair. It's actually somewhat of an art form. He was very straight forward with what can & can't be repaired via PDR. I'm definitely sold on it.

My son's 2020 Honda CRV had some significant hail damage. I was amazed at the results from PDR. My personal first experience was smacking one of the doors on my former VW Passat into a workbench. I took it to a local shop & watched the guy work his magic. He showed me step by step how he approaches each repair. It's actually somewhat of an art form. He was very straight forward with what can & can't be repaired via PDR. I'm definitely sold on it.
Yes - it is an art form.
Too bad body shops don't utilize it instead filing indentations with bondo.

I’m very lucky that I have a friend of mine who owns a PDR business. Back when I had my Ford Edge, he worked out 7-8 little dents that always drove me crazy. Cost me a a bottle of bourbon and few cigars. I haven’t needed him (knock on wood) for my Mazda.

Watching him find ways to access the various inside of the body panels and flex them back into shape was pure genius. He had lights of varying color temps, used pool noodles to protect surfaces and had a few hundred different mini prybars. It’s truly an art :)

Another plus one. We purchased a Mazda 3 for my son (new) and he got dents all over it. Those dent removal people are amazing and it results look perfect.

Any experiences with paintless dent repairs?

Twice (on a different vehicle than the CX-5).

Once was a good-sized dent in the hood from a tree branch that fell right on its end, right in the middle of the hood. The PDR shop was able to eliminate it completely.

Another time was a moderate "kiss" on the rear bumper fascia, which was staved-in (~8" diam inward dent). Other than some paint crinkling around the outer edge of the dent, the PDR shop was able to eliminate it completely. The shop applied touch-up paint to the worst of the crinkled-paint areas. Was hard to see until about 3ft distant from the bumper, and you had to be looking right at the area.

Highly recommended, if you get a good tech at a shop. Some dents can be erased completely, depending. Always worth checking, if avoiding a respray is desirable.

Back