Any current gen model year to avoid?

carfan1111

:
thiningmazda
Coming from unreliable German crossover which has been in the shop so much. Trying to find something more reliable yet still affordable and fun (enough) to drive and landed on CX9. With the current generation is there any model year to avoid that has been problematic? I was thinking about buying a 2018 because the awd system was updated then to help address it not passing the awd diagonal test. Im not sure how the 2016/17 models do in a snow. Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

My experience with my 2019 CX-9 GT FWD thus far has been uneventful but I'm retired and don't drive much and only have a little over 14K miles on the odometer. If you peruse this forum the number one big issue with the Gen2 CX-9's would seem to be a significant coolant leak with the 2.5L Turbo engine. Here's a link to that lengthy discussion; this might give you pause on your purchase decision. Good luck.

The diagonal test is not a good representation of snow condition. I expect 2016-17 to be just as good in snow.

That being said i would still go with 2018 and up for the following reasons:
- the automatic braking system has been retuned to be less sensitive and prevent false activation.
- the second row seat mechanism has been tweaked to make third row access easier.

There is the issue of coolant leak requiring an engine replacement that is cropping up on 2016-17- and now some 2018. It is hard to say how common it is and if it had been fixed in more recent model year since it only comes up pass a certain mileage (typically above 50k). I don’t think i have seen a 2019 with this issue yet on this forum but time might tell.

Other than that reliability seems pretty good regardless of model year. Improvements have been made every year (in terms of accessories, infotainment and reliability), so the younger the model the better.

There’s the oil consumption issue on newer CX-9’s with the 2.5T. A TSB has been issued with no resolution so far.

2021 CX-9 burning oil
LOL

so would would you guys recommend? take the risk or shop for another car (if yes which one)? I feel like the 16-19 3 row suvs all have some potential major issues, the Pilot transmission issues are littered everywhere across the internet.

I think 2018 and 2019 are good bet. It is very hard to tell how widespread the coolant issue really is. I would pick something that still has a good portion of the 5 year powertrain warranty left on it. If you are in Canada that also means unlimited km warranty for that 5 year period. In the states it is a traditional xx miles warranty.

Like you said every car as issues. Even if you go out and get the most reliable car it could still be a lemon. The CX-9 reliability overall is very good, but there is a known that mazda has been replacing engines for. These have almost all been replaced under warranty where mazda decided to replace the full engine, it is possible that a simpler repair is available that mazda didn’t bother explore since they were under warranty.

I would also vote for 18-19. I believe in these years they also made 2nd row seat heaters and heated steering wheels standard equipment? The extra 2-3 inches of access for the 3rd row has also been really nice.

I personally wouldn't opt for the Signature trim in the newer CX-9s, only because you're forced to dump the 2nd row bench seat for captain's chairs.

LOL

so would would you guys recommend? take the risk or shop for another car (if yes which one)? I feel like the 16-19 3 row suvs all have some potential major issues, the Pilot transmission issues are littered everywhere across the internet.
I cross shopped the 2019 Highlander Platinum Ltd. and Honda Pilot when I purchased the CX-9 in 2019. The Toyota had issues with the Nav system/voice controls in that trim level that was reported on forums but the dealership was in denial about. There was an awkward workaround and a later software update finally fixed the problem months later so that ruled that vehicle out.

The Pilot forum community was reporting an alarming issue where the digital instrument and infotainment displays would just randomly go black while driving down the road. Again, the dealer denied any knowledge and I wanted no part of that (on top of the transmission problems as you are noted) so the Mazda was the best choice for me.

I cross shopped the 2019 Highlander Platinum Ltd. and Honda Pilot when I purchased the CX-9 in 2019. The Toyota had issues with the Nav system/voice controls in that trim level that was reported on forums but the dealership was in denial about. There was an awkward workaround and a later software update finally fixed the problem months later so that ruled that vehicle out.

The Pilot forum community was reporting an alarming issue where the digital instrument and infotainment displays would just randomly go black while driving down the road. Again, the dealer denied any knowledge and I wanted no part of that (on top of the transmission problems as you are noted) so the Mazda was the best choice for me.
Nothing is perfect especially with the complexity of a vehicle nowadays. But among all problems you’ve mentioned: 2019 Toyota Highlander Platinum Ltd with Nav system / voice control problem (and has been fixed now)、2019 Honda Pilot with digital instrument and infotainment display black-out issue、and a known design issue on cylinder head on a 2019 CX-9 where Mazda has to modify it, the choice is easy to me considering the severity of the problem and how difficult the problem can be fixed.

It’s all a matter of risk assessment. Like i said, some engines have issues. We have not managed to figure out the ratio of vehicles affected. It took until 2021 for mazda to issue a TSB on the topic. Before that they were just happy doing full engine replacement under warranty. If it was very widespread they would have spent a lot more effort finding a cheaper fix. But that is just my gut feeling, maybe my 2018 will start leaking coolant soon, who knows.

Hard to make a recommendation to the OP though without knowing more of his situation and risk tolerance. How long does he keep is vehicles, if he keeps then until powertrain warranty expire then it is all good. If he keeps them for 10 years then the coolant leak is more of a concern.

It’s all a matter of risk assessment. Like i said, some engines have issues. We have not managed to figure out the ratio of vehicles affected. It took until 2021 for mazda to issue a TSB on the topic. Before that they were just happy doing full engine replacement under warranty. If it was very widespread they would have spent a lot more effort finding a cheaper fix. But that is just my gut feeling, maybe my 2018 will start leaking coolant soon, who knows.
Well, if the cracking cylinder head is not wide spread, and it’s not caused by the design flaw, Mazda wouldn’t issue a TSB and spend money to modify the cylinder head preventing this potential problem happening on newer MY’s. It took a while to expose the weakness of the design flaw of the cylinder head near exhaust manifold of the 2.5T due to:

• Deformation of the exhaust manifold during usage causing unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.

• Residual stress generated during production in the cylinder head material may be greater than expected. The
external force from the exhaust system when driving over bumps may cause unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.

Yes, I personally wouldn’t want such potential major risk to the engine on the vehicle I’m considering to buy.

Coming from unreliable German crossover which has been in the shop so much. Trying to find something more reliable yet still affordable and fun (enough) to drive and landed on CX9. With the current generation is there any model year to avoid that has been problematic? I was thinking about buying a 2018 because the awd system was updated then to help address it not passing the awd diagonal test. Im not sure how the 2016/17 models do in a snow. Any input appreciated.

Thanks!
I also own a reliable so far German crossover but recently (Oct) bought a certified used CX9 mainly for wife's daily driver. We focused on 2019-20 models based on research off autotrader, edmunds, you tube reviews, and other research sources. Appears improvements were made for 2019 that make the drive quieter. We found a 2020 Signature with only 2300 miles at a dealer. We actually preferred the Signature with the limousine type rear bucket seats (many compliments) as we rarely have more than four in the vehicle (once had seven with three squeezed in the third seat). Very satisfied with vehicle....no problems. Have another 4K on it including 1200 mile drive to FL for the winter. My suggestion is keep it a one owner, low mileage and dealer warranty certified if you are worried about potential issues. Good luck.

Well, if the cracking cylinder head is not wide spread, and it’s not caused by the design flaw, Mazda wouldn’t issue a TSB and spend money to modify the cylinder head preventing this potential problem happening on newer MY’s. It took a while to expose the weakness of the design flaw of the cylinder head near exhaust manifold of the 2.5T due to:

• Deformation of the exhaust manifold during usage causing unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.

• Residual stress generated during production in the cylinder head material may be greater than expected. The
external force from the exhaust system when driving over bumps may cause unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.

Yes, I personally wouldn’t want such potential major risk to the engine on the vehicle I’m considering to buy.

Yes, but lots of people have driven over very bad roads and bumps without any issue. The point is, you wouldn’t take that risk, I am ok with taking that chance and holding on to my 2018 for now. Both different opinion and risk tolerance, both good answer.

Same with the previous gen and the water pump issue, it was either a ticking timebomb, or might never happen to you.

I don’t think the coolant leak issue is as widespread as the old water pump problem, but we don’t really have the data to confirm it either. All in all, it is a risk. Now the OP can make an informed decision.

Back