Another spring question?

Mmmmmken

:
2002 Protege5
Can't find any info on this after searching... does anyone know of a lowering spring made for the P5 that WON'T make the ride stiffer? in other words, just looking for the visual effect of better filling the wheel wells, NOT firming up the ride. I'm sure with what they can do with spring rates and all it can be done, just not sure if anyone makes it.

Talked to Eibach's people, they said even the Pro-kit firms up the ride 15-20%, and as this is very much a street car drivin on crappy Cleveland roads, I'd rather not firm things up any more.

installed eibach pro's in april and i love them......don't find them to be any stiffer with regular driving but they are much better when pushed hard. You car will just be lower, so you will have to watch out for curbs and when pulling into big banked driveways and stuff.....

I hear the tein S-techs are pretty soft but still give a decent drop

Dont expect to get stock ride quality when you drop your car. Think about it... you are reducing the suspension travel....how do you think that will equate to a stock ride hieght that has 1-2 inches more travel?

I had the Eibachs on for 35k miles on stock shocks. For regular driving, they felt pretty much the same a stock. But when pushed, they got a lot stiffer...

Yup, I can also vouch for the Eiback Pro Kit. Just driving normally, the ride is pretty equal to stock.

Eibachs are progressive springs:

-Progressive spring rates are able to support a varied force at different tensions as the coil compress. ie. During normal driving the Eibach Pro-Kit allows a softer 147 lbs/in up front to allow smoother dampening during normal driving, but when pushed to the limits (coils become compressed) they support a much stiffer applied force.

Progressive springs tend to be less predictable than linear springs in situations such as corner exit, but allow softer daily driving.

Due to the characteristic of different struts and suspension components, listed drop heights will not be exact per each application. MP3 & MSP owners will need to subtract ~0.75" from the listed drop height, for a more correct estimate.

I can't really say much for the s-techs handling abilities since I never rode on stock struts with them, but the drop is perfect and with Illuminas the handling is outstanding. I kicked a 200 hp GTI 337 (upgraded suspension, about 200 lbs lighter than a normal one) on a very twisty road last weekend.

Like everyone is saying, the eibach pro-kit is about as close to stock feel as you can get. If you also add in the 5-way adjustable illuminas, you can even go softer than stock ride quality. I personally don't either (yet :)), but I've been in a buddy's P5 that does, and you can't tell the difference - except that it responds and handles much better.

What do you mean you "dont like either"?
Meaning you like more serious equipment like adjustable coilover linear springs and struts or that you only have stock? Or do you mena you like other brands better?

Just trying to get an idea myself of the Eibach/Illuminas set up on stock sways.

I may end up going Eibach/Tokico nonadjustables or something since it'll be my wife's daily driver.

I have the Tein S-Techs, they do settle out over time and the ride does get a little stiffer, but I also put some Tokico HP Blues on at the same time I got my springs done. The ride is a little stiffer, but I drove a Mercedes for two years and when you go from driving a car that rides like a boat on water, to a car like the Protege, ANYTHING IS STIFF. However, I have to agree...when you drop the car you will get a stiffer ride unless you drop some serious cash on your suspension. I have heard that doing an air ride suspension on air bags gives you the ability to lower the car without compomising ride quality, but again this is just what I have heard. The way I see it dropping the car and losing a little ride quality is well worth it when you can take turns as fast as I can and there is nothing better than having a good feel for the road. If the roads you drive on are in great disrepair then lower your air pressure slightly. That will give you a little drop, haha! Not to mention it will probably help reduce the chance of the tire side walls bubbling if you hit big pot holes.

Back