Alternator Belts - Questions

Pimpecoven

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I've noticed this problem seems to be widely popular. Everyone's belts squeaking and seems to be the same conditions, at least for me. Startup, climate control usage, and reving to about 3k to get it to stop... but its so embarrassing! I know there are a ton of threads on this problems and I'm sorry for posting another. But for the record I HAVE searched, and I saw the rule if you can twist over halfway its too loose, under is too tight. And I've seen so many diagrams, can somebody please explain in detail how to tighten the belt? I've seen too many different ways, I would like it if this issue could be cleared up. I just got a new belt by the way so its not that. Any input helps:) thank you in advance!

I don't have belt squeal.
I did start getting it but I tightened up the belts, and it is important to tightened the bolts that lock down the alternator and A/C compressor bracket into place after tightening the bolt that adjusts the belt tension. If you don't, then the adjusting bolt slowly loosens.

i have the dreaded squealing alt belt issue just havent got the chance to tighten it cuz of work and projects... tighten belt with engine cold so u dont get burned. there is a bolt on bottom of alt u have to looses then the one on top of it then there is a bracket above it with a 12mm bolt one alt is loose tighten that bolt to correct belt deflection the re-tighten the other 2 and ur done.. it can b done from on top just remove cruise control assembly so u can fit ur hand in

The belt squeaking in usually the alternator belt and the reason is there is very little adjustment for the belt as it stretches and starts to slip because you cant tighten it no more, at least it has been in my case.

a good mechanic and a good belt should not make the belt squeal.

i use gatorback belts.... and make sure you adjust the belt to the right tension

Back