All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 To Be Previewed At Novembers Los Angeles Auto Show?

I purposely pick a lower more often than the automotive does because I know what I want from the motor at a given time. An ignorant person would not consider reasons for holding a lower gear. Driving around at 4000 rpm or something is probably just being loud on purpose but 3000/3500 is a good spot if you want peak power soon

I do utilize the manumatic most of the time while in the city and do keep the revs up higher than what AT wants to. On the freeway I generally just let the AT do its thing.

I do utilize the manumatic most of the time while in the city and do keep the revs up higher than what AT wants to. On the freeway I generally just let the AT do its thing.

And that attitude is the exact reason they won’t trust humans with a manual transmission. It just lifts the carbon footprint for no reason at all.

And that attitude is the exact reason they won’t trust humans with a manual transmission. It just lifts the carbon footprint for no reason at all.

Lots of hills where I live and I personally dislike the way the CX-5 lugs the motor on these inclines at lower speeds. One is forced to get far more aggressive with the throttle. This is one area where I would like the re-tuned aspect of sport mode on my model.

I actually watch the real-time MPG meter most of the time and it would seem my fuel consumption is not negatively affected in any significant way. My average mileage seems higher than many report here. I really have no desire to purchase another fully manual gearbox as my old Jeep Wrangler is a 5-speed. I like the flexibility of the new ATs.

Manual Transmissions Are Dying: How We Lost Touch With the Clutch

Lots of hills where I live and I personally dislike the way the CX-5 lugs the motor on these inclines at lower speeds. One is forced to get far more aggressive with the throttle. This is one area where I would like the re-tuned aspect of sport mode on my model.

I actually watch the real-time MPG meter most of the time and it would seem my fuel consumption is not negatively affected in any significant way. My average mileage seems higher than many report here. I really have no desire to purchase another fully manual gearbox as my old Jeep Wrangler is a 5-speed. I like the flexibility of the new ATs.

Manual Transmissions Are Dying: How We Lost Touch With the Clutch

Lots of hill where I live as well. There's one particular stretch close to home that I take daily. While I'm very impressed with the overall dynamic of the CX-5 transmission, I just don't think it gets the steep incline right in normal or sports mode. Being a long time driver of manual, I really don't expect any auto transition to get this particular situation right. So in this instance I simply switch it into manual and manage gear selection independently of the gas pedal.

The computer mapping of the transmission is designed to do it better than a human. It only goes wrong when somebody intervenes.

Perhaps the extra torque of the Mazda diesel would negate some of my low speed overrides? Sadly the last diesel I drove many decades ago was an '83 Toyota pickup and while that old non-turbo beast got great mileage... I think the HP was around 60 and less than 100 ft/lbs of torque.

Plus in a manual I shift into neutral when going down hills... I do it all the time...

Be very careful in "silent 7th". Most gearboxes are only splash lubricated by the constant mesh gears and they do not supply sufficient oil at idle. I've had to rebuild many gearboxes that have been fried during coasting.

This comes from one of those questionable content generated sites but maybe true about model year..

Latest Mazda CX-5 Makes A Surprising Arrival

Initially, the next-gen Mazda CX-5 was scheduled to arrive as a 2018 model, but Mazda may have just pulled a fast one on all speculators. The brand’s best-selling nameplate is now being readied to arrive as a 2017 model.

The Honda CR-V went through a similar situation as it was supposed to arrive as a 2018 model but it was brought forward as a 2017 model, instead. These automakers seem to be putting fans everywhere on the edge, awaiting the arrivals of these models.

EDIT: I guess this was already stated from Motortrend.

"The new CX-5 will launch as a 2017 model-year vehicle in the U.S., although that designation could vary in other regions of the world."

Last edited:
Be very careful in "silent 7th". Most gearboxes are only splash lubricated by the constant mesh gears and they do not supply sufficient oil at idle. I've had to rebuild many gearboxes that have been fried during coasting.
And why would anyone do that in the first place?!(hand)

Not in mazda world they havent.

I've had both the manual 175 and now the auto 175, auto uses more fuel typically 3mpg uk, and stands in a higher emmisions group.
An extra gear in the auto might help, it does with the BMW 8 speed auto.

That a manual has higher emissions than an auto with all else being the same, engine etc.

And until recently manuals always got better mileage and in that respect had lower emissions than auto... not any more though as autos have caught up...

Advanced autos with GPS providing input to anticipate inclines do exist, but are not really available due to cost.
Some lorries use the system, Merchedes from memory.

And RR
http://gpsworld.com/rolls-royce-wraith-selects-gears-using-gps/

Lots of hill where I live as well. There's one particular stretch close to home that I take daily. While I'm very impressed with the overall dynamic of the CX-5 transmission, I just don't think it gets the steep incline right in normal or sports mode. Being a long time driver of manual, I really don't expect any auto transition to get this particular situation right. So in this instance I simply switch it into manual and manage gear selection independently of the gas pedal.

The computer mapping of the transmission is designed to do it better than a human. It only goes wrong when somebody intervenes.

True...but perhaps only to a point. And I might respectfully opine that your perspective may be influenced a wee bit by your CX being diesel powered. I'd be delighted to have that option available here in NA. (please hold the diesel vs gas/petrol discussion for another thread/time - been through that ad nauseum over on TDI Club.)
The sad fact is that, Mazda's AT engineers' remarkable results not withstanding, there are numerous times when I need to intervene with the design engineering bias towards efficiency. Granted, our '15.5 lacks a sport mode and I know I can 'train' the adaptive mapping with more agressive throttle applications but that only lasts so long before the mapping bias intervenes.
Example: steep uphill grade; light throttle application sufficient to maintain speed at a somewhat elevated rpm, around 2-2.5k rpm. Trans upshifts and engine bogs down at lower rpm then eventually downshifts - sometimes 2 gears. Cycle repeats until I intervene to hold the rpm high enough for the engine to maintain speed. The higher the elevation, the steeper the grade, the worse it is (over 7k ft/~2.1k meters, it's ridiculous!).​

Maybe, somebody should open another thread about these issues and leave this one for the new CX5.

Yes, quite.

I'm amazed that more new pictures or renditions haven't surfaced. They seem to have the lid screwed down.

Hey guys,

For those in Los Angeles, if you have a Twitter account and want some free tickets to the LA Autoshow, look up @ToyotaEvents, they are giving away a free ticket. Follow the instructions. I used it for the OC autoshow and test drove the MX-5 :)

Then I think VW might have one as well. check out @vwdrives

So you might be able to visit it twice. Enjoy!

Not sure if Mazda will allow test drives in LA given all the traffic and demonstrations now.

In the OC Autoshow, while in the MX-5, the Mazda rep told me to take this one tight turn in the parking structure and she said
"go ahead and whip it around,"
I looked at her and responded, "whip it around? You sure you want me to do that here?"
Her: "yeah, go ahead and whip it around"
I smiled and said "ok, thank you for letting me do this."
So I "whipped it around"
Long story short, I go into the turn, floored it, the back end came out and drifted the thing around the turn. When we came to a stop she says "yeah, lets not do that in the street..."

I love Mazda :D

Hey guys,

For those in Los Angeles, if you have a Twitter account and want some free tickets to the LA Autoshow, look up @ToyotaEvents, they are giving away a free ticket. Follow the instructions. I used it for the OC autoshow and test drove the MX-5 :)

Then I think VW might have one as well. check out @vwdrives

So you might be able to visit it twice. Enjoy!

Not sure if Mazda will allow test drives in LA given all the traffic and demonstrations now.

In the OC Autoshow, while in the MX-5, the Mazda rep told me to take this one tight turn in the parking structure and she said
"go ahead and whip it around,"
I looked at her and responded, "whip it around? You sure you want me to do that here?"
Her: "yeah, go ahead and whip it around"
I smiled and said "ok, thank you for letting me do this."
So I "whipped it around"
Long story short, I go into the turn, floored it, the back end came out and drifted the thing around the turn. When we came to a stop she says "yeah, lets not do that in the street..."

I love Mazda :D

Damn, did you marry her?

Back