Alignment for lowered protege5

SlowturboP5

:
mazda protege5
Hey, so I just got new tires and want to get an alignment to extend the life of my tires. My old tires had uneven wear. When i bought the car it was already lowered, but I never thought it was very low because I don't scrape anywhere. Anyways I went to the shop today and they said they couldn't adjust the camber in the front and rear because it was lowered. They also said they needed camber bolts in the front and to shim the back, and that its a big job and could cost upwards of 300 to 400 dollars all said and done including parts and labor. I thought the price was pretty ridiculous so I left.

My question is, is getting an alignment for this car really that labor intensive? I've owned a few lowered cars before and I would scrape everywhere with those, speed bumps, inclines, etc. I never scrape in this car so I think it's a very mild drop. Does anyone have any experience going to get their lowered protege5 aligned? Did you guys have to get camber bolts, shims, etc? Thanks.

Last edited:
Camber bolts front and rear. Never heard of anyone shimming a protege. Install them, then go get your alignment. They cost around 30 per axle.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes sir, and wow some cheap options too. I always ran eibach/spc. Same thing though. Super easy to install.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Ok thanks for your input. I went and got camber bolts for front and rear and installed them last night. Went to another shop today and got it aligned with a printout of the measurements for $120 cash. Still a little steep I think.

from what i understand, you can align the fronts (toe adjustment) based off of the rears if the rear specs are good. curious to know how jackie chan goes about aligning the rear of his p5

Last edited:
I do my own alignments too.
It actually works pretty good.... I've got a toe-in of 2mm front and back.
I'm not spending no $80-$100 every time.

It doesn't do caster or camber though but I figure they're close enough.

how do you dooooooo it?
The only reason mine works fairly accurately is that i run 0 toe front and rear. I align the fronts first using a board that I made, marking the garage floor, I keep adjusting equal amounts on each side until the measurements on the floor are equal in front and behind the tire. And I know it's accurate because the board I use is 40 inches long. A 16th off over 40 inches is pretty accurate. I do the same thing in the rear, and then double check it with the string method making sure that the rear is straight with the fronts.

The only reason mine works fairly accurately is that i run 0 toe front and rear. I align the fronts first using a board that I made, marking the garage floor, I keep adjusting equal amounts on each side until the measurements on the floor are equal in front and behind the tire. And I know it's accurate because the board I use is 40 inches long. A 16th off over 40 inches is pretty accurate. I do the same thing in the rear, and then double check it with the string method making sure that the rear is straight with the fronts.

these things i need to learneth.

Back