Airbag lights ON after hitch install!?!?

a1yola

I just had Uhaul install a hitch and the entire wiring setup on my CX9 and I noticed after the install was complete, the "Passenger Airbag Off" light was illuminated on the center display (near the clock and radio station).

Also, there is a light on the instrument cluster that keeps flashing. the light is red, with a person and an airbag deployed.

1. Does anyone know how the hitch and wiring could have affected my airbags?

2. Is there a way to reset the computer to make the airbags ON again?

All comments welcome. Thanks

ummm.... those idiots at uhaul ****** up the wiring in your car.... most likely they damaged the wiring for the rear portion of the side curtain airbags

I hate to say it, but warranty will NOT cover for this problem, be prepared to hear this from your dealer... it will be YOUR responsibility for the repairs.... at the mean time, play dumb and have the dealer diagnose the problem... diagnosis itself can be claimed under warranty, but not the repairs... like I said, it is YOUR responsibility for the repairs of your vehicle

also, since you installed an aftermarket trailer hitch on your car, your powertrain warranty maybe voided also
had you paid the $525 for a factory installed trailer hitch which INCLUDES an upgraded cooling system, upgraded transmission cooler, optimized computer programming for the engine and transmission... all to handle the extra load without damaging the powertrain components... the negligible amount of money you saved will inevitably be a big headache now and cost you more money

at any rate, good luck!

Last edited:
Can you post pics of the hitch installed ? I am considering purchasing one from Hidden Hitch. Per their web site site it's a very simple no-drill install--just curious what it looks like from the rear.

Since I have no plans on towing anything (want it strictly for a bike rack), I have no concerns about wiring, cooling system upgrade, etc.

Here's a video of a CX-9 hitch install--damn simple, but I was wondering if a photo would give me a better idea of how it looks.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv_hitch_install_mazda_mx-9_2008.aspx

http://www.hidden-hitch.com/prod.asp?pc=87438

Back