Air cleaner cover installation problem after replacing air filter

I replaced my dry rotted air hose without too much difficulty but I can't get the air cleaner cover to reinstall properly. I have tried 2 air filters (in case one was an incorrect fit). I can't get the 3 prongs on the cover to insert into the 3 holes on the bottom housing. I can get the one closest to the radiator in but the other 2 just won't slide in. If I remover the gasket from the air filter everything goes together OK but then the clips won't stay latched. It feels like the cover is hanging on the air filter gasket. Any ideas?

They can be a pain. To help it slide in, take a little bit of silicon grease (auto parts stores has little "ketchup" packs for like 50 cents), and put it on the three tabs. Do NOT get it on the filter itself.

That may give you enough lubricant that it'll slide in better.

The rest of the silicone, smear it on your battery terminals, stuff is great at stopping corrosion!

They can be a pain. To help it slide in, take a little bit of silicon grease (auto parts stores has little "ketchup" packs for like 50 cents), and put it on the three tabs. Do NOT get it on the filter itself.

That may give you enough lubricant that it'll slide in better.

The rest of the silicone, smear it on your battery terminals, stuff is great at stopping corrosion!
Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, it didn't work. The cover has to be tilted down to angle the front tab into the hole and when I do that the cover grabs the air filter gasket at the other 2 holes. There is no amount of sideays sliding that I can manage to get the darn thing in. Going out to try one more time tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, it didn't work. The cover has to be tilted down to angle the front tab into the hole and when I do that the cover grabs the air filter gasket at the other 2 holes. There is no amount of sideays sliding that I can manage to get the darn thing in. Going out to try one more time tonight.
I really think the air filter gasket was too thick.
I cut the top half off and got it together. Running great.

As part of the air hose replacement I had been searching for an air cleaner box as mine is very brittle. I'm not having much luck (even at PAP), but found a blow up of the parts and noticed the insulators and spacers. Mine are gone. I'm the original owner, so my mechanic must have "forgotten" to reinstall them. Disappointing, to say the least. It's all becoming crystal clear. Air filter gasket was the correct size after all. Anyone here installed an air intake kit? I've got 270k miles and would like to see if I can make it to 300k.
air intake assembly.png
PROTEGE_BLUE__air intake kit.jpg

what part of country you in? I know my oem intake will never see my car again and is just laying in a box in the attic. Probably has a washable drop-in filter in it as well. Most likely have TB to radiator support- snorkeling, accordion, box, filter and mounting hardware. Can bring it down into the light and snap pics if interested..............

Reactions: pcb
..I'm not having much luck (even at PAP), but found a blow up of the parts..

It may be possible that there aren't any air cleaner boxes left.

I remember going to the Mazda dealership to try and get a roof rack for my car about 10 years ago.
The Canadian P5's came with a roof rack made by Thule that had a contract with Mazda.
It's different than the American P5's roof rack.

He checked every Mazda warehouse on the face of the planet and there was not a single roof rack available for me.

It may be possible that there aren't any air cleaner boxes left.

I remember going to the Mazda dealership to try and get a roof rack for my car about 10 years ago.
The Canadian P5's came with a roof rack made by Thule that had a contract with Mazda.
It's different than the American P5's roof rack.

He checked every Mazda warehouse on the face of the planet and there was not a single roof rack available for me.
There was a super nice roof rack on one of the P5s at PAP. I know this is just going to get more difficult. I ran into the same issues with my 88 VW Fox wagon. I finally had to give it up.

I'm in East Tennessee. I ordered one from the link above but I'll be surprised if they actually have it. They charged my card but I haven't heard anything since the email notifying me that they received the order. It took the other company a week to tell me that the part wasn't in stock. If it isn't too much trouble I would appreciated pics.

I'm in East Tennessee. I ordered one from the link above but I'll be surprised if they actually have it. They charged my card but I haven't heard anything since the email notifying me that they received the order. It took the other company a week to tell me that the part wasn't in stock. If it isn't too much trouble I would appreciated pics.
Got a lazy no project wknd so this has become a priority....top of list. I will also see how small of a box it'll fit in and what size and weight it is......which will still tell me nothing about how much shipping might be but info will be had. Would be coming from TX....I also have way too much other stuff laying around, anything else you might be in search of?

....I also have way too much other stuff laying around, anything else you might be in search of?

Just post a bunch of pictures of everything you gots.

You should start a thread showing your stored parts.
If people are interested, then you can post it in the market place.

I'll start..

A Wagner Shorty Exhaust with a burnt pre-cat and a big ole dent. lol

IMG_20220422_194954.jpg
IMG_20220422_195025.jpg

There is so much stuff that it would be all week adventure between the parts rack in garage and all the overflow in the attic. Overwhelming just thinking of the chore it'd be. Saw a brand new radiator for automatic in it's unopened box I forgot I even had while fetching the intake stuff......that and 3 grills - oem with silver strip up top, oem plain and a fiberglass one that looks like mazda 3 grill, lol . It all must go.

Here's intake pics...all the plastic, all the clamps, all the insulators/spacers, all the hardware & a K&N drop-in filter and even the installation/removal instructions.....everything except the MAF

20220423_104840.jpg
20220423_104854.jpg
20220423_105204.jpg
20220423_105221.jpg
20220423_105302.jpg
20220423_105311.jpg
20220423_105327.jpg
20220423_105336.jpg
20220423_105412.jpg
20220423_105423.jpg
20220423_105437.jpg

Last edited:
There is so much stuff that it would be all week adventure between the parts rack in garage and all the overflow in the attic. Overwhelming just thinking of the chore it'd be. Saw a brand new radiator for automatic in it's unopened box I forgot I even had while fetching the intake stuff......that and 3 grills - oem with silver strip up top, oem plain and a fiberglass one that looks like mazda 3 grill, lol . It all must go.

It sounds like you've got a treasure trove of parts !!

You could start with just a list of things that you have and let people make offers.
Make it worth you're time and effort to dig stuff out for pictures.
Buyer pays shipping.

Keep in mind about the stuff you have that simply isn't available anymore, but the market for Protege5's is shrinking as they wear out, rust out, and get smashed.

It's all got to go anyway,.
Now is a good time.
Do it at your own pace, one thing at a time.

Side note...Regarding selling parts as a private seller (non-vendor)...Please do so in our FS Forum here...

@i12drivemyMP5 Thanks for posting pics with a handwritten sign, if you would like to offer your parts for sale, please create a FS thread in the Forum mentioned above...Much appreciated, thanks!

It sounds like you've got a treasure trove of parts !!

You could start with just a list of things that you have and let people make offers.
Make it worth you're time and effort to dig stuff out for pictures.
Buyer pays shipping.

Keep in mind about the stuff you have that simply isn't available anymore, but the market for Protege5's is shrinking as they wear out, rust out, and get smashed.

It's all got to go anyway,.
Now is a good time.
Do it at your own pace, one thing at a time.
Ouch. This isn't a project car for me. It's my daily driver.

Back