Aftermarket vs OEM Navigation in 2008 CX-9

Evan78

:
2005 Subaru Legacy, 1999 Miata, currently CX-9 shopping
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a CX-9 and would like to have built-in navigation (factory or aftermarket). Any advice on one versus the other?

Features I want:
  • Navigation
  • Full capability while in motion (so passenger can input addresses, etc)
  • Steering wheel controls
  • Auxiliary audio input
  • Rear-View (backup) camera
  • Bluetooth Phone Connection - I know this is included without nav, but is functionality affected if I remove the factory stereo? If I want to maintain this capability, should I assume whatever aftermarket nav goes in must handle bluetooth?

What functionality is lost without the oem radio? (dash clock, trip computer, etc.)

Should I care if the car has the Bose option or not? Am I correct to assume that a Bose equipped car would just require a stereo with pre-amp outputs?

I'm planning on a 2008+ Grand Touring CX-9 with AWD. Selection is limited when trying to find a car with all the features/color I want without going over budget. To open up more options, I'm thinking of getting one without nav and adding it in later.

I've installed many stereos and a few double din nav units, so I have experience in this area, but I haven't looked at what's on the market currently or dash kits for the CX-9.

Thanks,
Evan

Last edited:
As I research, I'm going to build out my parts list here.

Last edited:
If you have a choice between the two I would definitely go aftermarket. The only reason I kept my stock nav is all of the hardware integration with the camera, RES, bluetooth, and Bose, etc...

You will get much better equipment aftermarket and should be able to save a good bit too. The feature set of the stock nav\stereo is very limited and is probably the biggest minus for the car IMHO. You cannot modify your destination while moving, except for a small amount of preset points with stock.

I would buy an aftermarket nav with the capability of bluetooth and add an aftermarket camera, if I did not already have each. They make adapters to allow you to use steering wheel controls with the aftermarket radio so you would then have all of the features wanted and probably spend 50-75% of what it would costs for the stock nav.

Good luck in your search and let us know if you find something.

The only thing that kinda stinks is that you lose the control of the info button, so it makes it tough to change the clock without an adapter cable that lets you reconnect your stock unit to allow you to change the clock. However that could have changed for the 2012 units.

Thanks for all the input. I'm planning on going with aftermarket nav, camera, etc at this point. Now I just need to find a car...

CX9 Rosen Navi pic

sorry guys some of the pics i just took and its late at night.. will post better ones later... Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 1,857
Are you using the factory camera or did you add an aftermarket? Does it work with the Bose hookups or only the base radio?
I would be all over this if it will work both of these options. It has every other feature I am looking for.

Edited: Just checked out the price and it is a little steep for a brand that I am unfamiliar with. What is the sound quality like compered to stock Bose as well? Anyone have input on the reliability \ quality of Rosen products? My RES is made by Rosen and seem to work and look rather good, but I rarely use it except on long trips.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have the factory nav unit in my 2010 GT. As much as it would be nice to have a few extra features or capabilities, there is no way that I would dork around trying to cobble together an aftermarket system to try to recreate the conveniences associated with the factory installed unit. Sure it would be nice to have the passenger be able to enter data while on the highway. I'd list even higher having a better resolution rearview camera. However, taken together none of that compares to having a fully integrated system. Not even close. I am very glad I have the nav system. Really has been one of the better features of the car despite not being quite perfect.

The GPS is accurate and the directions are almost always very reasonable. It gives you three choices of routes anyway so you can choose if you don't like the default. I have learned to enter five addresses I might choose to go to while driving into the preset destination files which ARE accessible/selectable while in motion. You can also select points of interest as you drive if I am not mistaken. I don't use that feature but I recall you can select a gas station or restaurant etc. Otherwise I just pull over for thirty seconds. Doesn't happen that often so it is really not a big bother. If it was I'd keep an extra portable GPS for the passenger to use or just use my iphone. I think too much is made of this issue.

The rear camera is poor in comparison to at least the newer Dodge products I have driven recently. It would be really nice to have a better rear view camera but I haven't heard of aftermarket cameras that are necessarily better (I'm sure they will come though).

Don't forget that you'll end up paying quite a bit to have a partially integrated system installed too.

I do really like the fact that the new CX5 can be upgraded to the factory TomTom system as an aftermarket addition for pretty cheap money. I think that is finally evidence that well integrated GPS systems are going to be standard and will come down substantially in price. Now if we could only convince the manufacturers to stop bundling sunroofs with other features....

Rosen is pretty good based on my experience with it

I think the dealer added after market backup cam on my rosen unit and it is infact very clear even at night. Compared it against my friends gt factory installed nav system back cam and infact i like th after market one better. Also the factory nav system comes with 2 discs for nav system it self which have to alternated between, well atleast that what my friends 2011 gt has. And my rosen nav has no cd, just a simple usb card whic also comes with 1 free update and has 3d view road view pretty good display. It also with 3 months free pos service, something like onstar in gm.

Overall rosen is a plug n play unit with no mods required to the car and it works great and has more bells an whistles than the facorty unit, which why i choose it and also it comes with warranty to match the cars warranty and since it was installed by authorized mazda dealer, it it does not affect any of my standard warranty on the suv. Best of all got a great deal on it. and it even copies cd to hd along with speed limit assistance, speed cam assitance, dvd, in addition to other features..

I would recommend it..

Audio quality is very good as well. I am not sure about the bose hookups as mine came with standard radio unit and rosen was just installed straight into the dash. Also u can listen to songs via usb card which can be installed into the second usb slot which is standard in addition to the ipod cable and general aux cable which are extra.

If you don't mind my asking, what did the unit run you and how much did the dealership charge for install? I priced the unit online and it was around $1100 just for the stereo.

My CX9 is out of factory warranty but still covered under an extended warranty for 18 months. I usually do my own stereo installs but if the price is right, I'd let them do it.
Free time for stereo installs is a lot harder to come by with two little ones running around.

Basicaly I bought the sport version of the cx9 and had the dealer price the nav unit into th sale price of the suv, and i still got a great deal on it. Anyways my guess is dealer must have priced unit at around 1000$ and installtion was was part of the sale (no additional cost), also I had remote engine start, ipod cable aux cable, good back up cam installed as well included in the price as well which work extremely well.

Overall got a excellent deal on the suv with all the above included.

I have Installed a Rosen Nav of 2011 cx9 and it works great no extra mods are required.... AC, steering wheel buttons, oem clock all work just fine...

I also have a back up camera installed it works great along with sat radio and ipod cable...

keep in mind though Ipoad cable and sat radio cable/antenna & back cam are extra cost.....

http://http://www.palmautosecurity.com/_assets/_manuals/_rosen/_mazdaCX7/MazdaCX-9omSS.pdf

d19racing : after the installation the info button worked as well. I'm planning to install a Rosen Nav but I just want to make sure the trip computer will work. Thanks in advanced.

Yes the info button works very well even now, I have had no issues with my unit as of now. Yes trip meter display is part of the info button and u dont lose any standard functions that come with the oem unit including bluetooth hands free. and volume controls and song controls on the steering wheel. Thanks.

additional pics of my 201 CX9 Rosen Nav Unit

Some additional pics of my CX9 Rosen Nav Unit. It works great.

Attachments

• rosen 5.JPG
    rosen 5.JPG
    511.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • rosen 2.JPG
    rosen 2.JPG
    598 KB · Views: 1,069
Rosen nav pics cx9

More pics for reference. Thanks.

Attachments

• rosen 7.JPG
    rosen 7.JPG