Aftermarket thermostat

It looks like my thermostat is sticking. Well it through that code anyway.

For my 2006 I only see a combined thermostat and housing which is about $50 online. Since a thermostat is pretty low tech I wondered if there was a reliable aftermarket brand instead?

If the 5 is anything like the 3 I’d go with the OEM thermostat. On those models the original thermostats frequently failed. Mazda introduced a newer model that was better made, but at twice the cost of all the aftermarket options. The aftermarket options tended to fail frequently. Swapped one on my Mz3 with OEM and never had an issue with it again.

How'd it go? I bought a replacement from O'reillys when my car kept throwing the thermostat code. Still seemed stupidly expensive - thermostats should cost $10.

It seems Mazda designed the engine bay without regard to anyone ever being able to reach anything. I was fortunate I had a junior family member with skinny hands and arms who was willing and able to help with the installation.

Hi! It went well. I didn’t take off the pulley and like you, asked someone with smaller hands to help me get the first bolt back in. No issues really. I had to raise the front a lot to get the air out.

Back