Aftermarket Remote Start

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello,

Just curious what brand aftermarket remote start you guys have? I am looking to add one to my 17' CX-5 before winter, and was quoted in the $400 range for one installed. That seemed a little high, but I'm not sure what they're going for installed these days (by a decent installer). Before I start calling around, I'd like to hear what you all paid and got so I know if I am being quoted too high. It would be a great reference point.

Thanks much!

$400 is actually a good price.....but for which kit? $300-$400 is how much kits cost. Unless the install is free like at Best Buy.

3+ Football Fields isn't enough range for you, CX5um? How far away do you park? [emoji28]
Mines 1,200 and it's more then enough.
@OP in case you don't know, 2 way basically means the remote will let you know if the car started or not. Helpful if you're far away, for sure. I don't think it's must have though. My car is usually only 3-400 feet away.

Last edited:
I currently have a 2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan. I was pleasantly surprised that this comes with remote start factory installed.

The range is probably not too great, but I'm usually looking out a window at the car to watch the taillights flash when it starts.

The nicest part is that remote start is built into the standard key fob. You press the Lock button then Long-Press a different button to start. There is no carrying around a second control fob just for remote start.

I see the Mazda App for your cell phone that offers remote start. They seem pretty cagey about the fact they charge you $65 per year after the first year to use the app. They list a few compatible phones, but it seems like this has not been updated recently. They don't mention what technology is used to communicate from the phone to the car. I am guessing that the car gets a "pager" radio communication interface and the phone communicates with the Mazda website which in turn sends a command to the pager. Is this correct or do you also have to buy a cellular connection for your car?

Most people probably already carry around their phone, but Mazda's set up requires you to carry a second device just for remote start.

Does anyone know of a remote start for the CX-5 that uses the standard key fob?

Now that I've had remote start for a winter or two, I think it would be hard to live without it.

I currently have a 2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan. I was pleasantly surprised that this comes with remote start factory installed.

The range is probably not too great, but I'm usually looking out a window at the car to watch the taillights flash when it starts.

The nicest part is that remote start is built into the standard key fob. You press the Lock button then Long-Press a different button to start. There is no carrying around a second control fob just for remote start.

I see the Mazda App for your cell phone that offers remote start. They seem pretty cagey about the fact they charge you $65 per year after the first year to use the app. They list a few compatible phones, but it seems like this has not been updated recently. They don't mention what technology is used to communicate from the phone to the car. I am guessing that the car gets a "pager" radio communication interface and the phone communicates with the Mazda website which in turn sends a command to the pager. Is this correct or do you also have to buy a cellular connection for your car?

Most people probably already carry around their phone, but Mazda's set up requires you to carry a second device just for remote start.

Does anyone know of a remote start for the CX-5 that uses the standard key fob?

Now that I've had remote start for a winter or two, I think it would be hard to live without it.

https://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/mazda/cx-5/2019-push-to-start_automatic/

3 x lock button press.

3 x lock button press:

I have the Fortin remote start, installed by Mazda. I read about the 3 x lock button press but it doesn't work for me. Do you know if there is anything I have to program or should it normally work from the get go?

Thanks.

I bought the Compustar 4905S Kit from BB w/ free installation (recommended by the BB Master Installer, but usually sold out)...Also purchased the MA3 Harness and Compustar T-12 3 mile Range Key. Install scheduled in a couple of weeks. I went to a Compustar Pro shop and they wanted to charge $300.00 more.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

3+ Football Fields isn't enough range for you, CX5um? How far away do you park? [emoji28]
Mines 1,200 and it's more then enough.
@OP in case you don't know, 2 way basically means the remote will let you know if the car started or not. Helpful if you're far away, for sure. I don't think it's just gave though. My car is usually only 3-400 feet away.

For reference I've got the Fortin RF642W 2-Way remote which has a 3500ft range.....but said range is deceiving as that's if its perfect condition and line of sight. The longer range comes to play in real life scenarios when attempting to remote start through concrete, walls, metal, buildings, ect. Another thing is placing the receiver as high as possible. I installed mine up right above the mirror.

Here's a good read regarding remote starter range: https://www.mobileedgeonline.com/5-mistakes-people-make-when-buying-a-remote-car-starter/

Then of course if remote starting from far away the 2-way remote will tell the owner that the car successfully or not remotely started the car.

3500?!?!? HO LEEE COW!!! That's sick!! :D

. Is this correct or do you also have to buy a cellular connection for your car?

Not correct. It is 100% cellular based which is what that annual fee is for: they aren't paying your cellular bill for you.

as mentioned many times, just get this
https://www.compustar.com/systems/mazda-remote-start-system/

it works for 2019 models as well, no issues at all, works with OEM keyfob, you can add drone mobile if you want unlimited range and status of your car via smartphone/ smart watch (subscription based, reasonably priced)

I think Im going to go with a system that I can use my cellphone to start the vehicle. Im still shopping around. At the very least, I want a 2-way system.

For reference I've got the Fortin RF642W 2-Way remote which has a 3500ft range.....but said range is deceiving as that's if its perfect condition and line of sight. The longer range comes to play in real life scenarios when attempting to remote start through concrete, walls, metal, buildings, ect. Another thing is placing the receiver as high as possible. I installed mine up right above the mirror.

Here's a good read regarding remote starter range: https://www.mobileedgeonline.com/5-mistakes-people-make-when-buying-a-remote-car-starter/

Very informative read, thank you ...just as I expected.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

3 x lock button press:
OK, I tried it again but it didn't work. Anyway, I wouldn't have used it because on the 2nd and 3rd lock button press, the horn sounds and it's pretty loud, especially at 5am...
But then I tried the sequence "lock-unlock-lock", and guess what? the engine started. Yeah!

Now I have yet to figure how to avoid the engine stop when I press the brake pedal, to shift to Drive. I tried pressing the start button first but the engine stopped as soon as I pressed the brake pedal. Ideas are welcome.

Cheers.

But then I tried the sequence "lock-unlock-lock", and guess what? the engine started. Yeah!

Now I have yet to figure how to avoid the engine stop when I press the brake pedal, to shift to Drive. I tried pressing the start button first but the engine stopped as soon as I pressed the brake pedal. Ideas are welcome.

Cheers.

It sounds like whoever configured your system set it up as lock-unlock-lock, which is cool. Based on that thread I posted, I wonder if you unit needs a firmware update.

So, I am going to go with the Drone Mobile system from Compustar. I've heard and read good things about it, so we will see how it goes :) $465 installed. Not too bad.

Back