Aftermarket head unit, keeping USB (AX-MAZUSB)

From every review I have read on Amazon and Crutchfield that these do not work. I am not sure why but they just don't work!

From every review I have read on Amazon and Crutchfield that these do not work. I am not sure why but they just don't work!
But I have other adapter provided by a Chinese brand (dasaita...from which I have my current unit) and it doesn't work too.

This is my current unit

8f740d72b081ed1be62b972b65e74472.jpg

Ohh I love the size of that screen. How did you get the custom screen in there??

Also i am not sure but USB is really simple you basically have Ground, +5V and then two data lines, You can solder the existing harness really quickly if you have any electrical experience.

The Headunit above is an Android Unit (Android 8 Oreo - 32GB ROM + 4GB RAM)
3USB Ports + SDCard (For MAPS)
Bluetooth
Radio (DAB Optional)
Integrated GPS Chip
CANBUS to control:
* Stock CX-5 Reverse Camera (you can purchase optionally a cam if you dont have it)
* Stock CX-5 settings for Lights/Doors/Wipers

Manufacturer: Dasaita.
https://es.aliexpress.com/store/pro...36.html?spm=a219c.12010612.0.0.381a6851EhI49k

Much cheaper than any SONY/PIONEER/ALPINE/KENWOOD...
It sounds well (i owned previously a PIoneer)
CARPLAY can be used with an optional USB Adapter that plugs directly to any USB port of the Unit

Wow that's a cool rig, not sure if I trust no name brand like that but for a head unit I am sure it works fine. I really don't want to recreate Android on my dash i just want my existing android to be mirrored to it.

So Your issues with the USB is that no matter what dongle you buy you cant get your head unit to talk to the USB port in the arm rest? Have you thought about just running your own USB cable to the opening that is right above them?

Last edited:
So in the end I ended up not using that USB port in the center arm rest. I tried it with a cable and i forgot my phone in the cars 3 times. I have mounted my phone to the dashboard and a USB C cable coming out of my vent. I clips just below my stereo, I am still looking for a better spot but so far this works to remind me I am using my phone and to take it when I leave the car! Here are a few pictures, you can see i have hidden my USB cable. This is a modified iOmount solution for a car from ProClip that I made work for my car with less profile.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20180125_111126 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20180125_111126 (Large).jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_20180125_111119 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20180125_111119 (Large).jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
I am going to install an after market Android headunit on my 2015 CX-5 Bose with Navigation, and would like to retain the armrest USB port. From what I read so far, the cable behind the armrest USB port connects to the Bluetooth module on the passenger side. It should be a connector there plugging in the Bluetooth module. Anyone has a picture of that connector? It may be easier to splice to that connector to a USB-A connector to connect back to the Aftermarket headunit USB port.

The *ONLY* USB interface that will let you keep the factory center armrest USB port with an aftermarket radio is the Scosche TAUSB01B

Don't even try anything else, it won't work. The Scosche however, does.

The *ONLY* USB interface that will let you keep the factory center armrest USB port with an aftermarket radio is the Scosche TAUSB01B

Don't even try anything else, it won't work. The Scosche however, does.
Thanks. But Scosche TAUSB01B harness does not look like it will fit. If you look at post #15, there are 2 set of pins, presumably one for the USB and the other for the AUX-in. The 4 pins for USB should be horizontally oriented. Maybe on some non-bluetooth system that Scosche TAUSB01B will work. I am thinking getting a dual USB module like this one to replacement the OEM USB port:

The Scosche adapter plugs in behind the radio, not behind the port in the center console. And I promise yes it fits. The only negative is that you will lose the analog aux input that is right next to the USB port by using that Scosche adapter. It is what it is.

The Scosche adapter plugs in behind the radio, not behind the port in the center console. And I promise yes it fits. The only negative is that you will lose the analog aux input that is right next to the USB port by using that Scosche adapter. It is what it is.
I know, but there are 2 type of radio. The base model which the armrest USB cable connects to the radio directly, which the Scosche adapter will fit, and the other radio that has bluetooth functionality, where the cable goes to the bluetooth module, and it will not fit. I checked the bluetooth module, and it does not have a connector that looks like the harness of Scosche adapter.

I replaced the radio in our 2014 model way back (which has the passenger Bluetooth) and built my own cable to the USB port using a doctored regular USB plug with the shell cut off. It was long ago and I forget exactly what I did, but fortunately I apparently posted some pics back then (just found the link :) ): Aftermarket head unit, keeping USB (AX-MAZUSB)

I replaced the radio in our 2014 model way back (which has the passenger Bluetooth) and built my own cable to the USB port using a doctored regular USB plug with the shell cut off. It was long ago and I forget exactly what I did, but fortunately I apparently posted some pics back then (just found the link :) ): Aftermarket head unit, keeping USB (AX-MAZUSB)
Yes, I saw your post. It was at the first page of this thread. It will work, but too much work for me. Plus my Android headunit has 2 USB inputs, so I think I would just replace the OEM single USB port with a dual aftermarket USB ports. I never used the AUX in anyway, and I don't mind losing it. (there is an aftermarket dual USB ports with AUX-in if one wants to keep it. It is a little bit bigger at 40x40mm)

On my Mazda2 I did the same USB jack mod. Bought an USB+AUX outlet to replace the AUX-only and put in a USB 3.0 shorty extension.

In the girlfriend's CX-5, I just got two flushmount USB 3.0 ports and mounted them to the panel that the USB/12v outlet are on inside the center console. Makes it easy as you can easily remove it and do the mod outside the car.

pvYAcl6.jpg

Last edited:
Your mod looks great. I will just take out the OEM USB/AUX socket since I will not be using it and put an aftermarket dual USB port there.

Attachments

• Hea0f48597dc245cfb19290bebb71a0742.jpg
    Hea0f48597dc245cfb19290bebb71a0742.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 65
Back