A Pillar and Side Airbags

Moonpie.Express

Contributor
:
07 Speed3, Cosmic Blue
There has been some confusion/fears installing a Pod on the A Pillar. I started my install today based on BluMicaR's install and hints. I decided to take pics with some info added.

1. First I removed the door molding and carefully started
removing the A -Pillar cover. You will see in the photo the Airbag and its relationship to the cover.
DSCN0725edit.jpg

2. This pic shows how far down the airbag goes. Also the Pop/Slide clip.
DSCN0720edit.jpg

DSCN0726edit.jpg

3. This shows the A Pillar cover and the area than you can use if you decide to screw in the cover and not damage the Airbag.
DSCN0723edit.jpg

Hopefully the weather will hold for a bit so I can finish this up. The Gauge Pod is painted based on BluMicaR's recommendations. I do think the texture of the pod throws off the paint abit, but it is DAMN close and will work fine.

I did mount my sending unit on the Battery Box for now. Once it is wired up (I still need to find the wire that will allow the white to be shown), I will post more.
DSCN0728edit.jpg

You can install the pod further up as well as long as you don't put any screws in the bottom of the pilar. The only fear is to cut into the bag and if you don't put any screws on the lower portion you will not have to worry.

Because the pilar will not fly off during the bag deploy, the only concern is the pods flying out. I didn't even take my pilar off on my install, I simply drilled and ran my wires with it popped out. Getting it off is one thing, getting it back on is where I would assume the hard time will be had. So I just avoided it :)

GL with your install. If done right it looks really good.

By Lower and Bottom, do you mean the part nearest the door?

Getting it back in is not as hard as CAREFULLY taking it out. I was kind of worried there for a minute. I did put it fully back in and pulled it back out. Comfort factor has increased greatly!

Lower = bottom part next to the drivers side window rubber. I didn't put any bottom screws on my dual pod setup and just did a little heat bending till it matched closer then just a tad of superglue to keep it snug. Worked great.

What gauge and pod will you be installing? Just watch out for the airbag tether (the woven strap that extends from the airbag to a lower point on the A Pillar). It is very stressed during deployment and you would not want to snag it on any screws. The airbag fully deploys in about 20 milli-seconds. Also, if you add extra mass to the A Pillar garnish, it may not behave properly or it could come loose completely. I have been working in the airbag industry for 7 years. I would not think of adding anything to the garnish given its role in guiding the front part of the cushion. YMMV
-enganear

The pod is from Glowshift and the gauge is ProSport.
I am not to concerned with the mass added since it is below the center of the cover.
I did take extra care in regards to the tether.
It looks to me as though the airbag deploys down across the drivers side window.

Back