A Heads-Up Concerning the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

I would take a quick look at each wheel speed sensor. I think they are optical and you could have trash or something giving a bad signal but that should throw an antilock brake light? My TPMS has gone off 3-4 times in the last year with little difference in tire pressure. I think if the car is sitting in the sun with tires on one side getting hot it can throw it off - one side hotter/higher pressure than the other, if you reset it while one side is hot it may go off again when all tires are the same after driving a bit. I would try resetting when cold, parked in the shade for a while.

When I press reset, should it instantly clear the warning light or will I have to drive for a few miles after. When I originally did the reset it was at about 8am after sitting all night with the car under some shade from a tree.

When it flashed twice and beeped I think I the light goes off. I think it stays off until it learns the new relative rolling speed of the four tires. You might try a reset per the owners manual when you are going to be on a straight road for a while...

Under welcome area, Brits, I see the following quote today "Just an update to the above post. I managed to cancel the TPM warning by resetting the Interval for Tyre pressure warning within the servicing menu."

So glad that they have gone to the "Indirect" TPMS system, as it will save over $200 on winter wheels and tire cost!

Drove me crazy not being unable to re-set the orange TPMS warning light, because I knew the Tyre Pressure was fine. And no matter how many times I re-initialised, the warning still came on.

Apparently this is not a real "warning" - but instead it's a "reminder".

Using the controls on the steering wheel...... Go to Settings > Maintenance >scroll down to the last item (on mine at least :) )Tyre Pressure. With the "Tyre Pressure" option highlighted, press the info button and options for the TPMS appear.

I chose to not have "reminders". The warning doesn't come on any more :)

I thought of that, but the manual says "On top of that, why would it have taken the car 5 days to realize the pressure was too high?

If you do "normal" driving the tires don't get especially hot, the tires won't go up that much in pressure. But, if you drive on a particularly hot day and do a lot of starting/stopping and hard corners, the front tires can get a bit hotter, raising the pressure in them. Probably doesn't make a huge difference, but, I've seen in increase the pressure 2 or 3 lbs.

Back