A/C Vent Trim Removal

I'm thinking about masking everything on my dash except the chrome and spray painting it. The little chrome strip above the touchscreen also bugs...wth

I'm thinking about masking everything on my dash except the chrome and spray painting it. The little chrome strip above the touchscreen also bugs...wth

I think you should also make sure that the spayed paint won't fly around and stick all over the windshield, ceiling, seat cloth, ... That hassle was what scared my from spraying inside the car.

Pre-2016 CX-5's vents are not chromed. I'm more than willing to trade.

Post #2 mentioned that the trim in an integral part of the vent, and the dash need to be removed in order to replace the trim, that's also the reason why I chose to tape over it instead.

so glad I found this.. This is such a HUGE design flaw in my 2016.. at the right sun angles, the reflection of the chrome vents in the mirrors practically makes them unusable!!! I'm not about to spend $117 each to replace them though.. grrrrr

FYI guys, the vents themselves are easily removed from the dash, they press fit into the heating/ventilation ducting, they are not part of the actual ducting itself. They are secured in place with 4 claw-type tabs and you can pop them out from behind the dash. Remove the glove compartment to access the passenger side, I removed the small open storage panel under the switches to get reach access to the driver's side.

Once out, you will find that the chrome trim is also just clipped in place ... but the vents have to be out to see this. I didn't remove mine (never noticed this issue tbh - I was hunting an annoying rattle) but that should make it easier to vinyl wrap/paint/discard or whatever.

Last edited:
FYI guys, the vents themselves are easily removed from the dash, they press fit into the heating/ventilation ducting, they are not part of the actual ducting itself. They are secured in place with 4 claw-type tabs and you can pop them out from behind the dash. Remove the glove compartment to access the passenger side, I removed the small open storage panel under the switches to get reach access to the driver's side.

Once out, you will find that the chrome trim is also just clipped in place ... but the vents have to be out to see this. I didn't remove mine (never noticed this issue tbh - I was hunting an annoying rattle) but that should make it easier to vinyl wrap/paint/discard or whatever.

Pardon my asking but how do you know this if you've never done it?

Pardon my asking but how do you know this if you've never done it?

Never done what?

I did remove the vent quite easily to get access to the the dash mount bracket behind (which turned out to be a waste of time BTW). While I had it out, I noticed that that the chrome trim is clipped in place and remembered people asking about it on this thread. I didn't remove the chrome trim myself as this is not an issue for me.

I took a photo on my phone, see below. You push out the 2 metal tabs on the bottom of the vent from behind and rotate up to unhook the 2 top tabs from the dash. In the bottom left corner, you can see 1 of the many small tabs securing the the chrome trim in place, most are hidden under the felt tape applied.

Vent.jpg

Never done what?

I did remove the vent quite easily to get access to the the dash mount bracket behind (which turned out to be a waste of time BTW). While I had it out, I noticed that that the chrome trim is clipped in place and remembered people asking about it on this thread. I didn't remove the chrome trim myself as this is not an issue for me.

I took a photo on my phone, see below. You push out the 2 metal tabs on the bottom of the vent from behind and rotate up to unhook the 2 top tabs from the dash. In the bottom left corner, you can see 1 of the many small tabs securing the the chrome trim in place, most are hidden under the felt tape applied.

View attachment 213941

I see. Thank you for posting that pic! How difficult was that to remove? Do you have any manufacturer directions on this or did you just figure it out? It seems like too much trouble just to change the color of the trim. Although I would do it if it is easy.

Thanks much, Splinter Cell, for the pic with the metal tabs. I was able to remove my vents today.

The passenger side is super easy, just keep the glove compartment door half-open with your knee and your hand can freely access the vent. It's easy to feel the metal tabs and push on them. I pushed one side first, then wedged it with a coin to prevent it from going back in, then the other side.

The driver side is trickier. Unless Splinter Cell posts instruction on removing the storage and buttons panels, I got lazy and went directly for the vent instead. I lay down on the carpet, my head touching the brake pedal, my back is on the side step (perhaps a pillow on the carpet might be easier on your back). From that angle, I can clearly see the vent with its two metal tabs, and was able to push them with a long screw driver. However, this side is a little harder to pull out, I had to hold the tab (that change air direction) in the middle of the vent and pull it strongly.

In the pictures below, you can see that the chrome trim can be removed independently of the black window below it. I wasn't sure which latch is which, so I detached the whole window first before removing the chrome trim.

Again, thank Splinter Cell for your pointer. It's just a matter of spraying PlasticDip now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• _DSC1730.jpg
    _DSC1730.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,065
  • _DSC1733.jpg
    _DSC1733.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,049
  • _DSC1743.jpg
    _DSC1743.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 950
  • _DSC1746.jpg
    _DSC1746.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 946
  • _DSC1747.jpg
    _DSC1747.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:
And the rest of the pics ...

attachment.php

This is looking up from the carpet, the vent is the one with foam surrounding it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• _DSC1748.jpg
    _DSC1748.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 845
  • _DSC1751.jpg
    _DSC1751.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 860
  • _DSC1753.jpg
    _DSC1753.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 864
  • _DSC1757.jpg
    _DSC1757.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 819
Last edited:
@purplengold, no manufacturer directions, I did what sillyxone did above and looked behind the dash with a flashlight, saw the various tabs and figured it out.

@sillyxone, I didn’t attempt to push on the vent tabs from underneath the dash, it was too awkward for me tbh.

To remove the storage compartment, place your fingers flat onto the bottom of the recess, press down and pull forward sharply to release the bottom tabs. This will require a little bit of force but don’t worry about breaking anything, the tabs are extremely robust. Then grip behind the sides of the compartment that are now protruding at the bottom and ease forward, working your way up until the top tabs release.

To remove the button panel, it is secured by 3 tabs, similar to the vent tabs but plastic instead of metal. With the storage compartment removed, it is very easy to see and access these. Push them out from behind, and then unclip the electrical connector.

Regarding how hard it was to pull the vent out, you need to rotate it upwards slightly as you draw it out from the bottom. The top tabs are not press fit, they grip behind the dash and need to be “unhooked”. Likewise, re-fit the vents at a slight upward angle to secure the top tabs behind the dash first and then push back into place from the bottom.

Great pictures btw and good luck with the PlasticDip :)

Last edited:
These posts by Splinter Cell and sillyxone should be re-posted under "How To" section. Thanks for the write-ups and all important pictures!

I noticed there is a fabric type material that is glued around the edge of the vent that kind of seals everything. Did you glue this back into place or find another way to seal it? I wouldn't want to have air blowing inside the dash or leaking when its not supposed to.

That tape is not a seal, it is anti-squeak tape to prevent annoying rubbing sounds between the hard plastic vent and the soft plastic dash. I would peel it back carefully to access the tabs and then cover it back after.

You can buy it cheaply if you tear it, I keep a spare roll at home to fix annoying rattles and squeaks as they arise.

Back