A/C Recharge Kit (worked for me!)

MPMatt

:
'02 Protege 5 (yellow)
I've read that the P5's air conditioning is pretty hit or miss. I just bought an '02 and it was a miss, the a/c was pretty much just like blowing outside air. So after a little bit of discussion it was decided that I should try a recharge kit. So I took the old man down for a trip to Canadian Tire and picked up a "RED TEK 12a A/C Recharge & Retrofit Kit" - and at CAN$79 a possible steal compared to having a pro do it.

Like I said, my A/C was absolutely crap, basically blowing outside air, so we were pretty sure there was minimal refrigerant left in the system. The kit comes with 2 16oz 134a bottles and a 2oz leak stop - so one can and the leak stop would make 18 and hopefully anything left in the system would make up for the rest of the 21.2oz recommended in the Workshop Manual.

Following the instructions that came with the kit were quite easy and the whole thing may have taken 30 mins at the most. It does recommend you empty the system before you start so it may be a good idea to do that... Other snags included the LeakStop instructions not including the fact that the motor needed to be running, but that was pretty obvious. Then the handle on the valve broke off before we could even begin - the press fit was poorly done so a pair of vice grips replaced the handle early on. Other than those few things it was a simple fix.

And now for the important part - It actually worked! I was impressed by the whole system (well, except the valve handle). It was fast, low cost and it worked. After using the LeakStop can, only containing 2oz of refrigerant, there was a noticeable difference in the A/C performance. And after the using a whole refrigerant can it's blowing cold as ice! I would say it was $80 well spent!

Time will only tell if it was really worth it though, if the system was that low to begin with I could have a leak. But hopefully the LeakStop, which is pine scented, will take care of that. It also came with an 'A/C oil tester'. And that seemed to show everything was good.

Hope this helps if anyone else is thinking about an A/C recharge kit,

_matt

AC1.JPGAC2.JPGAC3.JPGAC4.JPGAC5.JPG

Nice job on the recharge. A/C systems are not that hard to work on once you figure out how they work. But, I do have two recommendations for anyone that wants to try this. First, since your system was low on refrigerant, there is definitely a leak in the system. The refrigerant had to go somewhere. It would be a good idea to fix that leak before refilling the system.

Second, when filling, it is generally not a good idea to hold the can upside down. Maybe for the first can, but you generally want to hold the second one right side up. This is because when the can is upright, the refrigerant is in a gaseous state, and inverted it is liquid. You can damage the compressor if it tries to compress a liquid. Sounds like you got away with it, but I just want to make sure that if anyone else wants to do this that they are aware of the risks.

Definetely try it. I had the same problem. I bought myself some cans of EZChill recharge kit and it made a world of a difference!

what temp is the air blowing out of your AC?

Awsome! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. When Delguini did it to his, he purchased a recharge kit in the USA, so I wasn't sure if I could get it here in Canada. I'm going to Canadian Tire in a couple of hours to buy my kit as well. And thanks to 5padzam's tips, I should be good to go! I'll let you guys know how it goes. Quick question though...how does it know when you reach 21 oz? Say I'm only missing half the refrigerant...

how does it know when you reach 21 oz? Say I'm only missing half the refrigerant...

i have absolutely ZERO experience with this, but I'd venture to say:

"it doesn't"

you may need your own gauge to be sure.

sorry man, don't listen to me. like i said, i have ZERO experience with it. i'm just guessing that it's not going to know when you have 21oz inside. how could it know?? not like you can see the gas next to a fill line to be sure.

Sorry, I read it quickly. EACH can of refrigerant is 16 oz. So 2 oz for the leak stopper plus 1 can of refrigerant and I guess a bit of a second can of refrigerant after draining should be close enough to 21 oz. Can you please give detailed instructions on installation? When to start the car, any precautions, etc....

The only way to know for sure how much is in there is to purge all of the referigerant out of the system and then fill it with the correct amount. But it is illegal to vent the refigerant into the atmosphere, so you would need to take it to a shop and have them recover it.

Instead, you can buy an inexpensive guage to aid in refilling your A/C system, and it will give you a good idea of when it is full. This would be highly recommended. Many kits in the states have the guage included. You definitely DON'T want to overfill your system.

uhhhhh... I bought one a few months ago with a gauge on it and checked before filling... it said it was perfectly fine in the green zone so I didn't add any more. So this doesn't work

NEED HELP! ok, i bought the kit. I started with the LEAK STOP can, no prob. Now I'm adding refrigerant and the can isn't emptying. I've left it for a while. Can it be the leak stop clogged the hose? Anybody?? THANKS!

wtf is leak stop? whenever an A/C unit leaks it's from a tear in a hose or something that you should replace or patch physically?

minor holes can be fixed. just like i have a can of sealant for flat tires that works great. OK, anyway, i found the solution why no refrigerant was coming out of my can...i just had to unscrew the hose a touch and voila. so i filled up now. it's definately colder! THANKS!

So ticked that the Canadian Tire version doesn't come with a gauge! Couldn't even get one at Napa. If they'd order one for me, it'd be almost $100 for a fancy digital one. OK, so after running the car for about 2-3 minutes at about 1500 RPM, the temperature from the vents was 20 degrees celcius. I'll use it on the way to work tomorrow and take a reading then....

Back