5 things I hate...

Superior there but not here (wink)
You haven't seen BMW's. The video quality is worlds better. Although the one I saw it on was my buddies like $90,000 BMW. I would expect that to blow the Mazda away.
//Edit//
#3 Agree on that stupid tray in the center console for 16. What a s*** design.

Last edited:
1) this is a security thing. You dont want people siphoning your gas.
I don't think this is what the OP is referring to. In my current GTI and old Audi, the fuel door locks and unlocks with the door lock/unlock button. There is no internal lever to release the fuel door. You simply push on the fuel door (when the car is unlocked) and the fuel door pops open. Once the car is locked, so is the fuel door.
Exactly. The fuel door of my 2000 BMW 528i locks and unlocks with the door lock/unlock button too, no extra fuel door release level or button needed.

Exactly. The fuel door of my 2000 BMW 528i locks and unlocks with the door lock/unlock button too, no extra fuel door release level or button needed.
So then you what? Have to grab your fob to unlock the filler door? Screw that.

Yeah I agree. Is it really so damn hard to pull a switch inside the car???? (scratch)

Anyway, been thinking about it, I think some of these are fixable, but here are my lists.

Things I hate:

1. Playing music from USB resets to the first song every-time the car turns off and then back on again.
2. USB does not sort my music by the folders I created on the flash drive.
3. I'd like to replace my damn scratched up/gouged steering wheel cover without buying a new airbag unit too.
4. Paint has issues, I have a bazillion paint chips on the hood.
5. I do wish there was an option to switch the backout camera to curve the lines as you turn the wheel, but overall not a big deal, I'm really grasping at straws here for the "hate list".

Yeah it's a little loud, but coming from a soft top Jeep in a previous life, who cares? Now that is loud.

Things I love:

1. Gen 1 CX-5 is damn sexy. Gen 2 can go get some braces to fix that overbite. And "sophisticated" appears to be code for "boring looking". Sorrynotsorry
2. Agreed that the CX-5 is peppy.
3. AWD works phenomenally well in the winter. Have had very confident experiences in winter (minus when I had worn tires).
4. Drives like a dream around the twisties and just feels fun to drive as a result, like a Mazda should.
5. Cheap to maintain, has been very reliable overall, and has been a good car to start learning how to DIY things like changing my own oil and such.

Oh, that's right. My 06 Saab did that, too. Both my cars have a gas door release. My $50,000 Volvo and my $30,000 Mazda.
Although the Volvo's is on the dash, I don't mind the placement in the 1st gen Mazda at all. SO easy to get to as you're stepping out of the car. ANYWAY, not to sidetrack... everyone is different and has their own quibbles. :D

Negative, when you get to the gas station, your car is unlocked anyways. You simply get out of the car and push the gas door open. No additional steps required.

No, for BMW when you exit the locked driver door, you pull the door release twice to unlock and open the door. The fuel door will be unlocked as long as the driver door is unlocked. Basically you exit the driver door and the fuel door is also unlocked at the same time. No need to do anything specifically to unlock the fuel door.

all the complaints make me feel so old... (freak)

I just want a real key I can turn, a CD slot in the dash, and an e-brake lever I can pull.

Itd be useful to know what editions the gripes refer to. I think the pre 2016 and post 2018 CX-5s are like different cars. Id never have bought one before the 2017 redesign.

all the complaints make me feel so old... (freak)

I just want a real key I can turn, a CD slot in the dash, and an e-brake lever I can pull.

Part of the reason my daily driver is a 6 speed manual GTI (it does have push button start though).

1. Playing music from USB resets to the first song every-time the car turns off and then back on again.
2. USB does not sort my music by the folders I created on the flash drive.

I used to have issue 1 you described, but since running the newest system software, it always resumes from where it left off.

With regards to the second, it should automatically sort the folders alphabetically with the newer system software. I know the older versions used to sort the folders by last modified (which was super annoying).

I love most everything about the car, and it's been great overall. Handles like a dream for what it is, every so often it surprises me when I take a corner a bit too fast and it just takes it in stride. 2 years in and the only time we've had to take it in (outside of regular service) was for the center console latch snapping.

Here's my list of 5 things:

1. Paint is thin, as it does seem to chip fairly easily.
2. USB ports on the front take forever to charge any device
3. Sport mode sometimes holds the gears way too long. When I'm cruising around the city at around 60km/h, I feel like it should down shift after a little while but it still holds the same gear at high rpms.
4. defroster for front wipers (I know they have this on newer models). There's been a few times in winter that the wipers have gotten iced a bit when used intermittently.
5. I wish the volume would be reduced back to a reasonable level after turning off the car and then getting back in. Nothing worse than forgetting to turn it down before getting out, only to get in later and have it start blaring right off the bat.

I used to have issue 1 you described, but since running the newest system software, it always resumes from where it left off.

With regards to the second, it should automatically sort the folders alphabetically with the newer system software. I know the older versions used to sort the folders by last modified (which was super annoying).

Might be different from mine as mine is not a Mazda Connect system, that said I think it's still fixable.

Interesting thread. It really highlights how good the car is since most of the complaints are pretty small. If I were still considering a new CX5 (instead of already having one), this thread would be a great read.
Here's my list:
1) Black plastic on the interior and on the pillars outside. Already starting to look bad after 10k kms. Going to have to find something to fix this.
2) Wish the visors slid out instead of having the half size sliders to cover extra spots when driving into the sun
3) Having to unlock the doors after pushing the open button the trunk. Mostly a problem if I have passengers and I'm loading something in the trunk. They need to wait for me to unload and get out the fob or for me to walk around and push the button.
4) Wish they didn't cheap out on to features of the '17 that are now there on the '18 - automatic up/down on all windows and vent control on the center vents
5) Could use a few more hp (or a turbo)
6) Bonus points...no CarPlay. I'll be first in line when it comes out in Canada as an upgrade. It's crazy that it's taken so long to come out

Things I love:
1) Every time I drive my wife's CRV and get back into my CX5, I realize that it just fits right. Makes me appreciate the solid driving experience...not like driving a brick.
2) The Commander knob. I would hate to ever own a car without it again
3) I absolutely love the look of the hood sticking out past the grill. Makes it distinct from the rest of the world
4) The HUD and TSR are two things I never thought I'd need but always miss if I don't have them when driving another car now
5) No variable transmission!

5) No variable transmission!

The primary reason we picked the CX-5...even though the 2017 Forester XT was a very close contender (CVT in the XT is the best we've driven). Actually had a deal on a Forester penciled in before we test drove the CX-5.

Latest posts

Back