4WD light and P1888

Hey everybody, have a 4WD light in my 2016 CX5 2.5 AWD. Code p1888-15 comes up and it’s says “Differential oil temperature sensor circuit failure: Circuit short to battery or open.” Recently had my engine replaced and it’s been an issue since. With this code on it only spins the front wheels. Anyone ever encounter this issue? Think it’s as simple as the garage just leaving something unplugged or pinched a wire during engine install?

Hey everybody, have a 4WD light in my 2016 CX5 2.5 AWD. Code p1888-15 comes up and it’s says “Differential oil temperature sensor circuit failure: Circuit short to battery or open.” Recently had my engine replaced and it’s been an issue since. With this code on it only spins the front wheels. Anyone ever encounter this issue? Think it’s as simple as the garage just leaving something unplugged or pinched a wire during engine install?
Possible. You should take your CX-5 back and have the garage checking out the issue ASAP with your suspicion.

I’d also try to change the gear lube in front transfer case and real differential. It’s been known that Mazda under-fills the rear differential quite a bit from factory. Make sure to use Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 and you need 0.48 quart (front) + 0.75 quart (real, the spec 0.48 quart by Mazda is wrong), more than 1 bottle on your 2016 CX-5 AWD.

Obviously the differential oil temperature sensor could have actually failed based on the code.

Waiting to get into the garage again but it’s gonna be another month and a half before they can get me in. Hopefully nothing is being damaged in the mean time. Car is only driven maybe 5km a day. Less most days

Waiting to get into the garage again but it’s gonna be another month and a half before they can get me in. Hopefully nothing is being damaged in the mean time. Car is only driven maybe 5km a day. Less most days
Wow, that garage is that busy? Must be a very popular one!

Most likely it won’t cause any damages to the rear differential even if it’s a faulty temp sensor、unplugged or pinched wire (unlikely as engine replacement won’t touch this part of the vehicle).

How many miles does it have on your CX-5? Would you mind to tell us what was the problem causing the engine replacement? And did you put in a new (unlikely)、 rebuild、or a used engine? How much did it cost nowadays?

Still you should consider to change the gear lube on front transfer case and real differential unless you plan to not to keep the car long.

Wow, that garage is that busy? Must be a very popular one!

Most likely it won’t cause any damages to the rear differential even if it’s a faulty temp sensor、unplugged or pinched wire (unlikely as engine replacement won’t touch this part of the vehicle).

How many miles does it have on your CX-5? Would you mind to tell us what was the problem causing the engine replacement? And did you put in a new (unlikely)、 rebuild、or a used engine? How much did it cost nowadays?

Still you should consider to change the gear lube on front transfer case and real differential unless you plan to not to keep the car long.
One of only 2 garages in town so yeah they are quite busy! I have 85,000 km on it now. Had a timing chain/tensioner issue that ended up with the vehicle eventually jumping it’s timing. Picked up a used engine from a junkyard for ~$950 Canadian. Garage charged like 17 hours labour for removal and install.

One of only 2 garages in town so yeah they are quite busy! I have 85,000 km on it now. Had a timing chain/tensioner issue that ended up with the vehicle eventually jumping it’s timing. Picked up a used engine from a junkyard for ~$950 Canadian. Garage charged like 17 hours labour for removal and install.
Timing chain jumped? That has to be very rare, especially at 85,000 km / 52,817 miles. And too bad looks like you just missed Mazda’s Canadian 5-year / unlimited-mile powertrsin warranty?

Timing chain jumped? That has to be very rare, especially at 85,000 km / 52,817 miles. And too bad looks like you just missed Mazda’s Canadian 5-year / unlimited-mile powertrsin warranty?
Seems to be VERY rare. It would of been covered under warranty if I could of gotten to a dealer. They couldn’t offer any support otherwise and there are none where I live and getting it to the nearest dealer would of cost roughly $6000 in shipping (live in the Arctic and can only ship behicles out of town via container ship during the summer when sea ice is melted)

Seems to be VERY rare. It would of been covered under warranty if I could of gotten to a dealer. They couldn’t offer any support otherwise and there are none where I live and getting it to the nearest dealer would of cost roughly $6000 in shipping (live in the Arctic and can only ship behicles out of town via container ship during the summer when sea ice is melted)
Wow, learn things every day. I guess living in your area, availability of dealer service is more important than other things when you’re choosing the car brand.

Since the rear differential is pretty easy to let the water in and damaged it when you’re crossing the accumulated water, or the snow/ice accumulated on the rear differential or inside of rear bumper melted, and you now have the 4WD warning light and code, may be you should consider the gear lube change no matter what.

Back