2016~2023 CX-9 41K spark plug change, found NGK plugs in the wild

thats why the are cheaper :)
the value line is almost half the cost of the other ones. Up to you what to do... or you can also get NGK Iridiums from 3rd party sellers.

I would just go with the OEM regular plugs (PY8V-18-110) or the NGK 90288 (DILKAR7M8 plugs). Any OEM part number with -MV at the end is the Mazda Value line. They are perfectly fine to use to keep your Mazda warranty intact, but as you have noticed, they may be lacking in certain areas.

So I finally got around to changing the spark plugs.. or at least trying to change them. I was able to change two of them before calling it a night, mainly because I was using a poor quality spark plug socket with a rubber insert that kept falling out/wouldn't grip the spark plug. I have a better one on order but it won't be arriving for a couple of weeks. The process isn't hard at all, just a little awkward for the two plugs on the right side of the engine. Here's a comparison of one of my old plugs next to the replacement. This was at 70k kms. Looks just like everyone else's used plugs, lol

20220623_212334.jpg

Very interesting Mazda is recommending a 64000km/40000 mile change interval for these long life dual iridium/platinum plugs, which it still looks good... perhaps because it's a turbo engine?

These are the only spark plug socket I will ever use:
E9F01531-6A5B-4D86-8073-202169AE3D76.jpeg

D6B116B0-06AD-49EA-B73F-BC6A7DC3D434.jpeg

No more rubber insert that can shrink, crack, fall out.
No magnets that can shatter.
No need for extensions that can get cockeyed or detach from the socket.

Only (patented) metal clips that grips the spark plug on the hex fastener head that will last forever, and work reliably even on a burning hot engine without fear of damaging the socket.
koken socket2.jpg

Professional grade, and not cheap, and easily costs as much as one spark plug or two. But if you don't want any headaches, buy it. If you're a mechanic, buy it.

I don't like to **** around with cheap tools any more unless I only can see them being used once. Good tools just makes working on cars much less frustrating and can keep you in good mood.

Very interesting Mazda is recommending a 64000km/40000 mile change interval for these long life dual iridium/platinum plugs, which it still looks good... perhaps because it's a turbo engine?

Mazda recommended new plugs on the old V6 at 60k miles. Ford, on the same engine, recommended changing at 100k. I think Mazda is on the conservative side, perhaps to drive more traffic to the service department.

Nevertheless, to keep the warranty I'd do the first change at 40k. After that, it can probably be stretched another 20k based on the photos of 40k plugs I've seen. On the other hand, Mazda is using the plugs as a knock sensor, so perhaps it's worth doing it at the recommended interval.

I don't like to **** around with cheap tools any more unless I only can see them being used once. Good tools just makes working on cars much less frustrating and can keep you in good mood.

This, 1000x this.
Buy once, cry once.

Mazda recommended new plugs on the old V6 at 60k miles. Ford, on the same engine, recommended changing at 100k. I think Mazda is on the conservative side, perhaps to drive more traffic to the service department.

Nevertheless, to keep the warranty I'd do the first change at 40k. After that, it can probably be stretched another 20k based on the photos of 40k plugs I've seen. On the other hand, Mazda is using the plugs as a knock sensor, so perhaps it's worth doing it at the recommended interval.
On many Toyotas with the same style (not same) plugs, they recommend 120k miles, on non-waste spark systems... On my Corolla daily driver, it still has the original plugs at 105k and it still runs great!

Previous owner didn’t change at 40k so the first change was in the low 60s for mine. I thought they looked bad, but after seeing everyone else’s at 40k, they looked about the same as mine

This is so relatable. If I had these sockets I would have finished my spark plug swap in 20 mins instead of a week and a half.

Damn, wish I had seen these before I bought my plug socket.

I like the the plug socket. Is there a part number for the one that will fit the small plug for the 2.5T. Also is the a web address for the company that carries these products?

I like the the plug socket. Is there a part number for the one that will fit the small plug for the 2.5T. Also is the a web address for the company that carries these products?
it's all in the pics... look at them, then google it... many places to buy them from

Previous owner didn’t change at 40k so the first change was in the low 60s for mine. I thought they looked bad, but after seeing everyone else’s at 40k, they looked about the same as mine
that's because they're really still good... iridium plugs (with the platinum ground) don't really wear out until around 100k miles, at least on non-turbo engines

This is so relatable. If I had these sockets I would have finished my spark plug swap in 20 mins instead of a week and a half.

not many people know about these... most people buy chinese (hazard fraught), american or german tools, and don't pay attention to japanese tools

not many people know about these... most people buy chinese (hazard fraught), american or german tools, and don't pay attention to japanese tools
Japanese tools are GOAT.
I have a set of Vessel screwdrivers, and I s*** you not, they're better than my Snap-On's.

Yeah, I said it.
1658522704713.png

Japanese tools are GOAT.
I have a set of Vessel screwdrivers, and I s*** you not, they're better than my Snap-On's.

Yeah, I said it.
View attachment 311810
Yes they are, including Craftsman private label ones. Vessel doesn't sell their Impacta version of their flat blades, the Craftsman ones exist.
IMG_4690.JPG

Those are the ONLY screwdrivers I will use when working on cars. No more stripped fuel pump screw heads. No more stripped ECU screw heads. No more stripped stripped fuel injector screw heads. No more stripped IAC valve screw heads.

I have their real impact driver too (comes in a metal case, and the rubber handle has strike protection ends), and their electric screwdriver bits also.

I even bought light duty ones to put in the kitchen drawer, so I don't have to go all the way out to the garage for one.
Craftsman-Vessel 1.jpg

and KTC connector pliers have made life easy too in tight spots:
2FE68715-E788-4A13-AC22-3B3D30F4D25E.jpeg

E002B64C-7DD7-4459-A01A-C8345DB183B4.jpeg

Anybody want to start an off topic “weird foreign tools that work really well for a specific purpose” thread? Those pliers look really cool! I’ve always done Japanese steel for kitchen knives but haven’t really ventured into other Japanese tools. For connectors, I typically use picks or plastic trim tools to help

First off, I'd definitely consider buying that tool if I was doing spark plugs more often. That said, I've always had an easy time changing plugs using a standard, non-mag plug socket that has no insert. All I do is unthread the plug, and then use a long enough needle-nose pliers to lift the plug out of the port. Then the same pliers are used to gently set the new plug back in, and then thread it back in with the socket.

This method has always been fast and efficient for me, but nevertheless I definitely like the looks of that tool posted by @TheMAN (what DIYer doesn't like tools) ;)

Back