2015 CX-9 ATF Fluid and filter change questions

dbaryl

2015 CX-9 Touring
I just changed the ATF on a 2015 CX-9.

Is there a serviceable ATF filter inside?

Also, what is the purpose of a 2-part drain plug?

1693761050686.png

$31 aftermarket filter from NAPA Auto Parts.
Explain "2-part drain plug." Plug & gasket?

The main plug is a tube. You have to pull the small screw insert, and some fluid can drain out but not the last couple of inches, until you pull the main plug.

What is the point of that?

Attachments

• Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 49
I believe the small plug is used to set the transmission fluid level. Pull the large plug for draining the fluid. When you refill you add fluid until it flows out of the small plug, when it stops running out of the small plug the fluid level should be correct.

I believe the small plug is used to set the transmission fluid level. Pull the large plug for draining the fluid. When you refill you add fluid until it flows out of the small plug, when it stops running out of the small plug the fluid level should be correct.
Yes, I thought the same thing. However, when I pulled the small plug the first time, about a quart of fluid came out. With a main plug gone, it was a total of about 3.25 quarts.

The fluid level probably needs to be set when the transmission at a certain temperature and after shifting through PRND and back

After you remove both plugs and loose whatever drains out you need to put both back and pump in, or top fill, the unit with what you removed plus a bit more. Start the vehicle, run it through the gears and monitor the transmission temp. When it gets close to 100 degrees F remove the large plug and let the fluid flow til it slows to a trickle then put the large plug back on and that should do it.

Back