2017~2024 36 month service question

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
So my 2019 Signature is almost due for its 36 month service. I understand that is a “C” service and more expensive. But they also want to change spark plugs and do a turbo service as well. Total cost ($Cdn) close to $1400. my jaw dropped but is this cost normal? Low mileage (20k)BTW.

Spark plug replacement is called for at 40,000 miles on the turbo engine IIRC. And if you have any mechanical skills at all, they can be done in a matter of minutes. You can buy them from Rock Auto for way less than what the dealer charges. Get NGK Iridium or Ruthenium.

Had a free oil change from the dealer and they underfilled it by a full quart. That's why I do all of the straightforward maintenance myself.

With such low mileage, I would postpone many, if not all of those services. I assume that the 20k is in kilometers? If so, that's only about 12,500 miles.

Check your Owner's manual.
At 3 yrs or 56,000 km, replace air filter. Cabin air filter needs to be replaced at 40,000 km or 2 yrs, if you already had it replaced, you're good to go. Plus engine oil and filter change. All others are simply check/inspect.

You should look for another shop or mechanic for your regular maintenance. I do most by myself for the similar reason as above reply by 50jeffrey.

did my 36mo recently. here it is:
oil change if needed i.e miles or time is soon.
brake fluid change since mine was starting to degrade.

Thats it. I change air filters yearly anyway with the dust here. Others have said for the spark plugs - its on miles not in time. Everything else is dealer profit and probably waste of money.

So my 2019 Signature is almost due for its 36 month service. I understand that is a “C” service and more expensive. But they also want to change spark plugs and do a turbo service as well. Total cost ($Cdn) close to $1400. my jaw dropped but is this cost normal? Low mileage (20k)BTW.
My word man, what a rip off, to be blunt. Don't do it. That's a pure money grab by the dealer.
I'd love to see a list of what they do for that kind of cash. It's probably a two page list of check/inspect.....(insert item here), and one line item of what they actually do....an oil change.

My 2017 6 is going on 5 years old, with only 27,000 KMS on it, and I didn't bother going to the dealer for any of their 24 or 36 or 48 month, (or whatever interval they tell me), service. All I've kept up with is the regular oil changes. The rest, like filter replacements, I do myself.

As long as you have receipts/proof of oil changes being done at the proper intervals, as well as any other expenses incurred by you, then your warranty is intact.

"Is this cost normal?" No dealer cost is "normal", it's always an inflated cost to increase profit. But even by dealer's standards, $1400 is not normal. That's insane.

As others have already stated, follow your Owner's Manual and what it recommends. If you have someone else doing the work, and they recommend replacing something, do some research to validate their recommendation (for example, if they recommend new brake pads and rotors, check YouTube to find out how to measure the remaining brake pad life, and how to determine if your rotors need to be replaced).

Refer to the Canada Residents section. At 36 months, the maintenance schedule recommends inspecting the engine air filter (replace every 3 years or 56k kms), inspect the drive belts, replace engine oil and filter, and lubricate door locks and hinges (be sure to use the correct lubricants for each). Tire rotations should be done every 8k kms. Spark plugs can be changed at 64k kms (note that the replacement interval for these is based solely on mileage, not time).

Find a different dealership if possible, or use a capable independent shop, or DIY.

Thread moved to CX-5 General subforum.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I thought it was nuts but I haven’t had a Mazda for many years. The C service was $400+ but a big chunk of change was for the plugs and for turbo service which they recommend at three years. I can’t even find a reference to that in the owner’s manual, so any idea what that’s supposed to be?

Only the dealer would know, lol. I would guess its just an inspection, maybe just a fancy name to hide a basic fuel system service or throttle body cleaning? Truth be told, none of that stuff is necessary unless you're experiencing a noticeable drop in mileage. There is nothing in the manual that states anything specific with regard to maintenance on the actual turbocharger itself.

Thanks. Some of the added costs of this service are from “driveline service?”, “Power steering fluid flush”, “Brake fluid flush”, “Cabin air filter
Service”. ????

Thanks. Some of the added costs of this service are from “driveline service?”, “Power steering fluid flush”, “Brake fluid flush”, “Cabin air filter
Service”. ????

The CX-5 uses electric power steering, not hydraulic. Thus, no fluid to flush. A competent Mazda dealership service tech should know that.

If that weren't enough, brake fluid flush isn't necessary unless they tested the brake fluid (I'll bet they haven't yet), and cabin air filter "service" is likely just pulling the filter out, smacking it on the wall to knock off some dirt, then putting it back in.

Seriously, run from this dealer. Then torch them on Google/Yelp/whatever. You'll be better off using a reputable independent shop at this point.

Thanks...they were really good at purchase time and my initial services but full change of management in the last year...I can really see the diference. Time for me to move on.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, absorbs moisture from air. Many automakers suggest it to be replaced every 2 to 3 years, my MDX manual calls for flush every 3 years regardless of mileage.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, absorbs moisture from air. Many automakers suggest it to be replaced every 2 to 3 years, my MDX manual calls for flush every 3 years regardless of mileage.
2 to 3 years is overkill in my opinion. In fact, I've never flushed brake fluid in any car I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of cars for well over 10 year lifespans.
Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but every two years? Nope. Sorry.

Thanks...they were really good at purchase time and my initial services but full change of management in the last year...I can really see the diference. Time for me to move on.
Had the exact same experience a few years back with my Nissan dealer. Bought four cars from the same dealer over a span of about 5 years, and they were great. Always had honest dealings with them.
Owners sold the dealership about 5 years ago, and turned over 90% of the staff. Went south really quickly. They are now considered the worst Nissan dealer in town by recent polls and rankings. Sad.

2 to 3 years is overkill in my opinion. In fact, I've never flushed brake fluid in any car I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of cars for well over 10 year lifespans.
5 years and you should consider changing it.........

That said I usually do a inspection of my pads and slider pins every 2-3 years while rotating my tires. Since the car is lifted doing a brake fluid flush is very easy with a $20 one-man bleeder kit. Makes a noticeable difference in braking performance. I usually do a flush every 3 years.

Owner's Manual from 2015 MDX shows to replace brake fluid every 3 years, regardless of mileage driven. I heard some vehicles recommend 2 years interval?

The weather here in PNW is very humid and the BF is hygroscopic, I'm inclined to do more often.

Brake Fluid Flush.JPG

Owner's Manual from 2015 MDX shows to replace brake fluid every 3 years, regardless of mileage driven. I heard some vehicles recommend 2 years interval?

The weather here in PNW is very humid and the BF is hygroscopic, I'm inclined to do more often.

View attachment 307165
Yes, my BMW and VW vehicles both recommend 2-year brake fluid replacement interval regardless the mileage.

Even Mazda recommends 2-year brake fluid replacement interval world wide other than North American region on the CX-5.

However, I replaced the brake fluid the first time after 21 years of service on my 1998 Honda CR-V with no ill effect.

Really, we can just use a brake fluid tester to test moisture content. If it exceeds 2%, replace the brake fluid.

E4103AB7-A85A-4F7E-9692-F936D6AA2298.jpeg

Last edited:
Back