$300 Canadian to change CX-5 spark plugs - Really?

I stand corrected but I will continue to use an anti-seize product.
https://www.driven2automotive.com/b...se-copper-grease-when-installing-spark-plugs/
From what I gather reading between the lines recommendation is that they already have a thread protection on plug. In other applications ( harsh environment) the plugs still get corroded and diffucult to remove over years. Main reason NOT to use anti-seize is we are too stupid to torque properly. If you know what you are doing anti-seize can't hurt. May not be needed in an engine bay with a good plug boot but it won't hurt. My expierence comes from Supercharged boat BBC boat engines (read high heat cycles), Off road trucks (mud water) and dirt bikes. Either way overtight is not good. You should be able to feel the crush washer or the change in rate or torque vs rotaion on a tapered seat and know when is when. IMHO an anti-sezie is good preventative for long term removal success. Do as you wish.

https://www.driven2automotive.com/b...se-copper-grease-when-installing-spark-plugs/
From what I gather reading between the lines recommendation is that they already have a thread protection on plug. In other applications ( harsh environment) the plugs still get corroded and diffucult to remove over years. Main reason NOT to use anti-seize is we are too stupid to torque properly. If you know what you are doing anti-seize can't hurt. May not be needed in an engine bay with a good plug boot but it won't hurt. My expierence comes from Supercharged boat BBC boat engines (read high heat cycles), Off road trucks (mud water) and dirt bikes. Either way overtight is not good. You should be able to feel the crush washer or the change in rate or torque vs rotaion on a tapered seat and know when is when. IMHO an anti-sezie is good preventative for long term removal success. Do as you wish.

I agree, there are some great applications for it as you mentioned, and I always used anti-seize in the past on older cars, especially on the softer uncoated plugs like used by AC Delco or Autolite.

I can only imagine how much fun a BBC boat engine corroded plug change might be. (rant)

If you use this, I strongly recommend not using a torque wrench. You will need to torque-to-angle, or torque until the crush-washer type apparatus is flat, and then no more, because a torque wrench will no-longer give meaningful data for this spec.

25% less torque with anti-seize

https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/torque_specifications.pdf

12 to 14 ftlbf without anti-seize

9 to 10.5 ftlbf w/anti-seize

Might be easier using a 1/4 inch torque wrench at inch/lbs at those numbers...

108 in lbf - 126 in lbf

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61277.html

You may need adapters if your sockets don't match.

Lots of factors in that. Id just go until the crush washer is flat, regardless of torque required, and leave it at that.

Get the NGK plugs (the OEM plugs I ordered from Med Center Mazda for $100 had the NGK model numbers on it!) for $50. Take 30 minutes and do it yourself.

Problem solved.

you got it ! And order your $12.99 spark plug socket from Amazon and its cake. It's a 14mm thin-wall.

Attachments

• 51RcfoTm7yL._SL1500_.jpg
    51RcfoTm7yL._SL1500_.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 946
Discussed this topic at length with my son and his co-workers (AP licensed jet Mechanics). Often recommended not to use anti-seize as overtorque and or backing out is an issue on low torque applications. They safety wire many fasteners but that is a different story. Many fasteners get a coatig of Milk of Magnesia as an anti-seize. Don't shoot the messenger here, google it for yourself. It is a thing and commonly used on igniters inside of jet engines. Low torque high heat application. There is even a part number for it if no Walgreens around!
Either way I will use a good paste and be aware of torque settings or degrees from seated. I still think there is benefit 100K or 5 years later.

Discussed this topic at length with my son and his co-workers (AP licensed jet Mechanics). Often recommended not to use anti-seize as overtorque and or backing out is an issue on low torque applications. They safety wire many fasteners but that is a different story. Many fasteners get a coatig of Milk of Magnesia as an anti-seize. Don't shoot the messenger here, google it for yourself. It is a thing and commonly used on igniters inside of jet engines. Low torque high heat application. There is even a part number for it if no Walgreens around!
Either way I will use a good paste and be aware of torque settings or degrees from seated. I still think there is benefit 100K or 5 years later.

I haven't seen that benefit. Just my experience.

Just an assurance that a plug will not become "stuck" or corroded in the head, it happens. It won't happen if treated. It will strip if the operator is not smarter than the tool.

Back