3 finalists to replace the Duellers

CX-9er

My first post here:
As with everyone else I have almost killed myself numerous times with the stock 245/50/20 deulers on my CX-9 Grant Touring. I chose to drive my '99 Jetta here in the chicago snowstorms instead, its absolutley rediculous!

I am going to get new all season tires, (not going to deal with the snow tires)
and after doing research I have come down to these three finalists:

1)TOYO PROXES S/T II 245/50/20
2)YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X 245/50/20
3)PIRELLI SCORPION STR 245/50/20

Cost aside, does anyone have any input on which one of these to go with...has anyone driven in the snow with these tires or have any info to help finalize my decision. Any info would help....thanks

Look at the Mich Lat 255/50/20
I have them, and I think they are as good as any other.

Tom

thanks, but does it matter that the size is 255 not 245...I'm not even sure what that means but I assume you want to get the same size as the car came with.

I just read the reviews for the michelin latitude tire on tirerack.com and they are just under $300 /tire. A little to pricey for myself.

I've ordered YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X 245/50/20 for my 07 GT AWD, and expecting to receive next week. Can let you know my experience once I check 'em out.

thanks, but does it matter that the size is 255 not 245...I'm not even sure what that means but I assume you want to get the same size as the car came with.

The 255/50/20 fit just fine. Many auto manufactures put on tires that are the bare minimum in quality and size as you have found out with the Bridgestones.

As for the price, I paid $275 each but I paid up for safety, quality and performance.

Tom

Yes, it does have an impact on the speedometer reading and odometer miles. They're both calibrated to be accurate with a specific overall wheel and tire diameter. Going to a different size that results in a different overall diameter changes the revolutions per mile the tires make.

How significant the impact is depends on how much the overall diameter varies from the stock size.

Is it important? That depends on how much error is being introduced.

I'm not saying this is good/bad/right/wrong etc. Just pointing out the fact there is a consequence to deviating from the stock tire size.

I know that many newer vehicles can have their electronic modules re-calibrated so the speedo is accurate with the different tire size but I imagine one would have to pay the dealer to do this.

Yes, it does have an impact on the speedometer reading and odometer miles. They're both calibrated to be accurate with a specific overall wheel and tire diameter. Going to a different size that results in a different overall diameter changes the revolutions per mile the tires make.

How significant the impact is depends on how much the overall diameter varies from the stock size.

Is it important? That depends on how much error is being introduced.

I'm not saying this is good/bad/right/wrong etc. Just pointing out the fact there is a consequence to deviating from the stock tire size.

I know that many newer vehicles can have their electronic modules re-calibrated so the speedo is accurate with the different tire size but I imagine one would have to pay the dealer to do this.

Very true, but how much?

Going from 245/50/20 to a 255/50/20 will decrees the Revs/mi: from 680 to 671.

As for MPH going up in the size described will be 1.3% slow. In another word, instead of doing 60mph you will be doing 60.8 mph.

On the CX-9, if you have Nav it will calibrate it for you.

Just my .02c

Tom

On the tire size recalibration issue; NAV with the ability to recalibrate aside - I googled on the topic a bit and it seems the car odometers aren't guaranteed to be all that accurate anyway such that worrying about something on the order of 1% is probably pointless.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge in this area; so maybe there's more to the story but numerous articles (about concerns related to warranty coverage and such) talked about cars (Honda I think was one) easily being off +/- 2%, etc.

-Jeff

My first post here:
As with everyone else I have almost killed myself numerous times with the stock 245/50/20 deulers on my CX-9 Grant Touring. I chose to drive my '99 Jetta here in the chicago snowstorms instead, its absolutley rediculous!

I am going to get new all season tires, (not going to deal with the snow tires)
and after doing research I have come down to these three finalists:

1)TOYO PROXES S/T II 245/50/20
2)YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X 245/50/20
3)PIRELLI SCORPION STR 245/50/20

Cost aside, does anyone have any input on which one of these to go with...has anyone driven in the snow with these tires or have any info to help finalize my decision. Any info would help....thanks

I had narrowed my search to the same list and decided on the Toyo's at the advice of a local tech with a lot of experience. So far we have had three minor snowfalls here in Southern MA since I had them installed and haven't had any issues at all. In fact, I have only seen the traction control/4WD icon light up a few times, in heavy slush on an incline. I'm still waiting to truly test them in a heavy snow storm though.

That being said, I doubt there is much difference between these choices and they all cost about the same too.

I have the Yokohama's and have 10K miles on them. So far so good. They aren't bad in the snow also, but it doesn't take much to be better than the Bridgestones.

When it comes to tires, I found it difficult to be relying on one person's opinion since no one have run so many tires to know them all. I usually rely on the reviews on tirerack.com.
After you read enough reviews, you have some ideas how one tire behave based on everyone's usage opinions.

BTW, the OE tires Mazda put on CX9 is not cheap at all. It is listed for $200 each on tirerack.com. It's just that Mazda focus too much on the non-snow condition. When,
in fact, putting on Spec-X ($160) probably would have made more people happy.

The Michelin Latitude Tour HPs come in 245/50R20 - they are indeed pricey, but I have been very happy with them so far.

If that's the case then I would say the decision should be between any one of the three the OP mentioned or spending a bit more for better performance/traction in the Michelin. The reviews on that tire are excellent, and I plan to opt for it next time if the Toyos don't wear well or are a problem in deep snow.

So, I had narrowed down the list to those three and I talked to discount tires and they recomended the Pirelli Scorpion STR because it is a T rated tire not a V rated tire like the other two. He seemed very knowledgable considering many of the other dealers I talked to were not too familiar with tires in this size.

He said basically that the tire rubber is not as firm and will wear better and traction in snow/extreme cold should be better than the other two because it is not a V tire. Looking up the tire rack test survey the Pirelli Scorpion took 2nd place and I think I'm going to go with that tire. If anyone has any experience with these tires please let me know.

Thanks for all your feedback.

I was going to mention the "T" rating, and that swayed me too, but I was also concerned about the performance in warm weather and I'm not so sure how that particular tire stacks up against the Toyo and Pirelli in that regard. The Toyo's do feel much firmer than the Duelers. That's for sure.

Let us know how they handle in deep/packed snow and on the highway and winding roads.

Thanks

Will do. I have an appt to have them installed this Saturday, I will give an update on them after I get to try them out....I'll be hoping for snow so I can see how they do. All I know is it will be nice not fearing that I am going to slide into an intersection every time I approach a stop sign.

Michelin

I'm going with the Michelin Latitude in the OEM size through Discount Tire. They were able to order the 245/50/20 size and get it in 3 days. Price is $302 per tire (about $1325 installed etc.). I'll let you know how well they do in the snow. I live in SW Michigan, and we have had a ton of snow. The Bridgestones have been aweful as everyone else has said.

The Pirelli Scorpion STR 102T that I ordered from discount tire will be $643 installed out the door (about half the price of the Mich Lats), considering I had no intention of having to buy new tires for this vehicle considering it is only about a year old $643 is plenty for me to be spending.
Should be interesting to compare our views on the tire. I'm in chicago and weve gotten a boatload of snow as well and I'm sure more will come so we'll see how they do.

Back