Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: Sequential LED turn signal installation (side mirrors)

Thanks again Sm1ke for introducing me to this mod. I received the indicator today and installed it in a little over a hour. The hardest part for me was actually not removing the mirror itself but the outer casing. Those tabs was on tight and every time I managed to loosen one as I moved onto the next tab it would snap back in. I found it easier to go in reverse order from E to A on your diagram. The E tab would stay popped out and actually creates a wedge on its own. From there the rest of tabs pops off quite easily. Overall a great mod that adds a cool touch to your ride.

Great to hear! And thanks for the feedback on the mirror cover. Turborascal did this mod on his CX-5 and did the exact same thing. I'll be sure to edit the original posts to add this tip.

I appreciate the feedback guys, helps to make an easy process even easier!

I am just wondering, are there any gaps with the new turn signals? Does it fit the housing exactly like the factory signal? I am worried if it rains that liquid would short the wires especially since I have the 360 camera.

I am just wondering, are there any gaps with the new turn signals? Does it fit the housing exactly like the factory signal? I am worried if it rains that liquid would short the wires especially since I have the 360 camera.

Yes, it fits like OEM. No issues with rain or car washes. I've been through a bunch of touchless washes and washed the car myself with a 2000 PSI pressure washer, and the car has been in some heavy downpours. Both turn signals are working just as they did when first installed over a year ago.

Thank you so much. I've finished installing them on my CX-9 2018 and I'm very satisfied with the effect. A side note: you're gonna have a hard time detaching the mirrors if you have big fingers. Also, take the utmost care with those annoying clips. I was careful but apparently not enough, and snapped one clip on the right mirror cap. No big deal, though.

How are the turn signals holding up, are they still working without issues?

The dealer will install new mirror motors in a couple of days so I will ask them to replace the turn signal with sequential ones, though I am not sure because the light is no longer visible in the back as you mentioned.

How are the turn signals holding up, are they still working without issues?

The dealer will install new mirror motors in a couple of days so I will ask them to replace the turn signal with sequential ones, though I am not sure because the light is no longer visible in the back as you mentioned.

See link posted by @Silly Wabbit above.. both turn signals are still working, but a few LEDs on each of them died. These only have a 3 month warranty, but I was able to negotiate a reduced price from the original seller. Another user suggested that the LEDs may have died due to water leaking into the housings, which is certainly possible as I've used pressure washers to clean the side mirrors. I received the replacement set about a week ago. I'll install them as soon as I pick up some silicone to seal the housings up better. The set that is currently installed on my car lasted just over a year with no issues.

See link posted by @Silly Wabbit above.. both turn signals are still working, but a few LEDs on each of them died. These only have a 3 month warranty, but I was able to negotiate a reduced price from the original seller. Another user suggested that the LEDs may have died due to water leaking into the housings, which is certainly possible as I've used pressure washers to clean the side mirrors. I received the replacement set about a week ago. I'll install them as soon as I pick up some silicone to seal the housings up better. The set that is currently installed on my car lasted just over a year with no issues.
Thanks a lot for this, I think I will be sticking with the stock as replacing them in the future will be a huge hassle since there are too many restrictions for items delivered from aliexpress, in addition to the effort of disassembling the mirror.

I installed side blinkers - thanks for the walk through!
But surprisingly they are so dim even compared to stock ones.
They do look cool in garage videos or when there's no sun, but they are practically invisible in sunny conditions.
I'm going to return to stock ones as I don't think these are safe.
I used smoked ones - same as the original poster did. Do we know if clear ones that seem to be available are any better?
On my video the turn signal is turned on, believe it or not. It looks cool in the dark though.

Last edited:
Back