2nd Gen CX-9 High mileage club, how's it holding up?

Hi y'all. So I'm approaching 50K miles here in my 2019 CX-9 Grand Touring...not exactly high mileage but I figured it would be a little misleading to say I have a new car...

Reading the comments on here has me a little worried... At the latest oil change/tire rotation, dealer did say something about my coolant level being low. Nothing about a leak though like I'm reading here and I haven't noticed anything either.. So not sure if I should just top it off? Investigate further?

Anyways, I need a spark plug replacement (I realize I'm overdue). Do I need to replace spark plug wires/boot at the same time? Please note I have never done this before so if you don't recommend this as a DIY please let me know. I called around and the spark plug replacement cost was atrocious. Buying a new set of sockets, wrenches, spark plugs, still works out cheaper! Not trying to be cheap - I realize there are some things I'll never do but spark plug replacement did seem very doable, esp after watching the DIY video.

I'm also excited to get my tires replaced at the same time. I have 4 Pirellis Scorpion AS Plus 3 sitting in the garage right now. They have great reviews online and on this forum. I'm surprised I got this many miles out of my Bridgestone Ecopias after reading some threads on here...I'll have the dealer install tires for me. Should I get an alignment done at the same time? Or will they do this anyways since they're mounting all 4 tires?

Thx guys!

Hi y'all. So I'm approaching 50K miles here in my 2019 CX-9 Grand Touring...not exactly high mileage but I figured it would be a little misleading to say I have a new car...

Reading the comments on here has me a little worried... At the latest oil change/tire rotation, dealer did say something about my coolant level being low. Nothing about a leak though like I'm reading here and I haven't noticed anything either.. So not sure if I should just top it off? Investigate further?

Anyways, I need a spark plug replacement (I realize I'm overdue). Do I need to replace spark plug wires/boot at the same time? Please note I have never done this before so if you don't recommend this as a DIY please let me know. I called around and the spark plug replacement cost was atrocious. Buying a new set of sockets, wrenches, spark plugs, still works out cheaper! Not trying to be cheap - I realize there are some things I'll never do but spark plug replacement did seem very doable, esp after watching the DIY video.

I'm also excited to get my tires replaced at the same time. I have 4 Pirellis Scorpion AS Plus 3 sitting in the garage right now. They have great reviews online and on this forum. I'm surprised I got this many miles out of my Bridgestone Ecopias after reading some threads on here...I'll have the dealer install tires for me. Should I get an alignment done at the same time? Or will they do this anyways since they're mounting all 4 tires?

Thx guys!

Hey @Ophio86! Regarding coolant level, it's best to check it at a consistent time (i.e. first thing in the morning, before starting the engine) to get a better idea of whether or not you have a coolant leak. There is a minimum (L) and maximum (F) level on the coolant overflow reservoir. First thing in the morning, check the level, and if you want it higher, top it off with FL22 coolant. Then keep an eye on the level, checking it occasionally (maybe every time you fuel up, or at every oil change), being sure to check it first thing in the morning, while the car is "cold". If you notice it dropping, you can bring it to your dealer's attention.

For spark plug replacement, everything I've seen says to only replace the plugs. I think everything else only needs to be changed if there is some other problem. One note, the socket set I have didn't have the right spark plug socket size, which is 9/16ths. I'm planning to do my own plugs very soon, just need to wait for my wife to get over Covid and then I'll have time to get around to it.

Lastly for tires, most tire shops will mount the tire and balance the wheel for you. Alignment is a separate service, but you can ask the dealer to perform an alignment for you as well, if you'd like. Getting an alignment with new wheels is generally good practice, but when I put new wheels on my CX-9, I just watched the wear. Everything seems to be wearing evenly and I don't have any drivability issues, so I guess I got away with it lol.

As sm1ke said, an alignment has nothing to do with new wheel installation.

BUT, a bad alignement can ruin a new set of tire fast. So it is a good time to get it done, if only to protect your new tire investments.

You can always check the old tire, if they are worn evenly then tour alignment is probably still good, but if you haven’t done one in 50k, it is not a bad idea to do one just in case.

Thanks @sm1ke and @youri!!
@sm1ke Sorry to hear about your wife's illness. Wishing her a speedy recovery! Thanks for the tip abt the socket. You're right, I've been looking too and realize most standard sets include a spark plug socket or two, but they are not the size needed for our vehicles.

I think I'll get the alignment done. As you guys said, I think at 50K it is a reasonable thing to do.

I'll also get some FL-22. If I understand correctly, this is available only through the dealer.

I do want to post on here for whomever else might need this info: consider purchasing your tires from DiscountTireDirect. In my case, they not only price-matched Sam's Club, they even included the $$ instant savings. Additionally the tires have a rebate going on so the bottom line is each tire came out to be $70 less than retail. The tires arrived within two days of placing the order and I think I scored a pretty good deal for a highly rated tire. Installation/disposal fees at my dealer are the same as anywhere else so I'll get them to do it.

Just did this last weekend. Very easy to do. 8mm, 10mm, and a 14mm thin wall socket we’re all that was needed. Shop manual says to remove all the vacuum lines and disconnect the plugs to remove the plate that covers the ignition coil bolts, but I just unbolted the plate and moved it around as needed to access everything. Torque specs are 12-14 ft-lb if you didn’t have that already.

I am a little higher mileage than you (62k) but mine seems to be holding up fine. If mileage keeps adding up like it currently is, I’ll be at 80k by end of year and 110k at the end of next year

By the way, I am considering using a fuel system cleaner every so often going forward. I'm not so sure what the correct interval is, although I've read reports about doing it every 3000 miles, 10000 miles or with every oil change.. I probably won't be doing it every time I fill up. Read something about it not being good for your engine and also pricey (my long commute to and from work forces me to stick to low grade gas).

I recently tried the Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner. The vehicle did feel a little smoother this week and I want to say I haven't used as much gas this week... But it's all probably in my head. I did also reduce my tire pressure to 36 psi (dealer had them at 39!) and that may have led to a smoother drive too.

Also read threads on here about replacing the PCV valve. I don't really know what that does exactly or if it's needed at this time. Not planning on it unless I hear otherwise.

Seems like these can hold up just fine.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=636579744&allListingType=all-cars&makeCodeList=MAZDA&modelCodeList=CX-9&city=Acushnet&state=MA&zip=02743&location=&searchRadius=0&marketExtension=include&startYear=2016&endYear=2019&isNewSearch=false&showAccelerateBanner=false&sortBy=mileageDESC&numRecords=25&dma=&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fall-cars%2Fmazda%2Fcx-9%2Facushnet-ma-02743%3Fdma%3D%26searchRadius%3D0%26location%3D%26marketExtension%3Dinclude%26startYear%3D2016%26endYear%3D2019%26isNewSearch%3Dfalse%26showAccelerateBanner%3Dfalse%26sortBy%3D

a935571cbc414e629a2aa65028c460c9.jpg

Fyi, there are no spark plug wires or boots anymore. That disappeared when electronic ignition replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, points and wires.
Now it's an ignition coil on each plug.

I have a 2016 sport edition with 97k miles…Going on strong, only oil change and spark plugs…These cars are reliable and beastly.

Ours hit 111,000 this month. It's a 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD. Normal maintenance items done to it. Today it's getting its serpentine belt and rear shocks replaced. Started to feel the back end rock back and forth more and I already had the shocks sitting in my garage.

Back