225/45-17 with 17X7 40 offset.

08cosmic3

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
Anyone running this setup with stock suspension? Rubbing?

Wheelmaster Calculator says they will stick out .7 inches more than stock but they are .6 inches less in diameter. I rarely have anyone in the back of my car.

What wheels are you looking at Scott? Why so narrow? I know you drive hard, some meats under your car would not be a bad thing.

I want to keep it light weight and inexpensive. I'm now looking at the Konig feathers in 17x7.5 They are 17 lbs 45 offset and only $122.5 each at Discount Tire Direct. They come in Silver, Gold and Black. I don't like Black wheels on Cosmic Blue. I like the Gold wheels on Blue but they may attract too much attention. I like my car understated so I'll probably get the silver and put on some 225/45-17's or maybe 235/45-17's. Wider is not always better when it comes to handling. The 225's will stick out .5 inches more per tire and the 235's will stick out .7 inches more. I don't believe there will be any rubbing issue since I'm going down to 17" wheels. The 235 will have the speedometer only off by less than 1/2 MPH and the 225 will have it off by 1 1/2 MPH.

What are your thoughts?

I want to keep it light weight and inexpensive. I'm now looking at the Konig feathers in 17x7.5 They are 17 lbs 45 offset and only $122.5 each at Discount Tire Direct. They come in Silver, Gold and Black. I don't like Black wheels on Cosmic Blue. I like the Gold wheels on Blue but they may attract too much attention. I like my car understated so I'll probably get the silver and put on some 225/45-17's or maybe 235/45-17's. Wider is not always better when it comes to handling. The 225's will stick out .5 inches more per tire and the 235's will stick out .7 inches more. I don't believe there will be any rubbing issue since I'm going down to 17" wheels. The 235 will have the speedometer only off by less than 1/2 MPH and the 225 will have it off by 1 1/2 MPH.

What are your thoughts?

The 235's will be 5mm closer than my current setup to the fender and the same as the setup I'm moving to in a month or two with 225/40's on my +40 wheel.

The 235/45 is only .3" shorter than the stock tire. You won't rub on the tread, you'll slam the rear fender lip into the sidewall and send spaghetti strings everywhere. I've only hit the rear tire once but I am on coilovers and run a rear sway. It was with a rear seat passenger and I was taking a roundabout a little faster than I should have been.

Even though you will be at stock ride height the factory suspension is soft in the rear, you will more than likely hit the fender on large bumps at speed. A roll may be necessary.

Now aesthetically, I don't care for the Konigs. If it were me, I'd go with some silver RPF1's in 17x8 +45. That would support those 235/45's very nicely. They are also 15.6 lbs a piece and can be had for around 200 a piece.

The 235's will be 5mm closer than my current setup to the fender and the same as the setup I'm moving to in a month or two with 225/40's on my +40 wheel.

The 235/45 is only .3" shorter than the stock tire. You won't rub on the tread, you'll slam the rear fender lip into the sidewall and send spaghetti strings everywhere. I've only hit the rear tire once but I am on coilovers and run a rear sway. It was with a rear seat passenger and I was taking a roundabout a little faster than I should have been.

Even though you will be at stock ride height the factory suspension is soft in the rear, you will more than likely hit the fender on large bumps at speed. A roll may be necessary.

Now aesthetically, I don't care for the Konigs. If it were me, I'd go with some silver RPF1's in 17x8 +45. That would support those 235/45's very nicely. They are also 15.6 lbs a piece and can be had for around 200 a piece.

And those RPF-1's with that offset will fit with no issues? Getting ready to pull the trigger on them.

What are your thoughts?

I just put on 17x7.5's, +45 offset(Kosei K1 Racing). most 225s will end up rubbing on big bumps...215s will barely clear.

Regards,
Bryan T

I just put on 17x7.5's, +45 offset(Kosei K1 Racing). most 225s will end up rubbing on big bumps...215s will barely clear.

Regards,
Bryan T

O RLY? Even though I can run a 225/45/18 without rubbing? You think a 225/45/17 would rub? I think..... NOT!

Last edited:
Whats your wheel offset
What is your section width of your tire...
and what is your tread width..

All make a huge difference in what will fit and what wont <without rolling fenders>

Whats your wheel offset
What is your section width of your tire...
and what is your tread width..

All make a huge difference in what will fit and what wont <without rolling fenders>

I have my choices down a a few rims and I'll list them all. Same tire for each.

17x8 +45 17x7.5 +48 or 17x7 +42 (will this last one clear the brakes?)
225/45/17 Hoosier A6's
Section width is 9.7
Tread width is 8.8

BTW what size tires did you put on your 17x7.5's?

I'm going to be on BC coilovers but with a minimal drop. I want the stiffness of the springs and shocks and could care less about an aggressive stance.

Last edited:
7.5's

I ended up going with a 215 as 225 was going to be waay too close for comfort and our roads around here aren't the smoothest. I think that even with a 215 i'm going to end up jamming the lip of the fender every now and then....

Anyone know of any places that can mill down the seat of a wheel to increase the offset?

Prior to making my decision, I spoke with a member of another forum who was running 225/45/18 on 18x7.5 with a +48. They found they had rubbing problems on large bumps/heaves in the road and they had to have their fenders rolled.

By this time my wheels had already been powder coated and being I live in north central PA and drive the car in the winter, didn't care to roll the lip for fear of speeding up the likelyhood of rust.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Bryan T.

I ended up going with a 215 as 225 was going to be waay too close for comfort and our roads around here aren't the smoothest. I think that even with a 215 i'm going to end up jamming the lip of the fender every now and then....

Anyone know of any places that can mill down the seat of a wheel to increase the offset?

Prior to making my decision, I spoke with a member of another forum who was running 225/45/18 on 18x7.5 with a +48. They found they had rubbing problems on large bumps/heaves in the road and they had to have their fenders rolled.

By this time my wheels had already been powder coated and being I live in north central PA and drive the car in the winter, didn't care to roll the lip for fear of speeding up the likelyhood of rust.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Bryan T.

I've got 225/45/18's on the car now with loads of clearance. They are on the stock rims which are 18X7 +52.5

In comparison to your stock wheels/tires, your current tires are sticking out 5mm further on the inside (suspension) and outside (fender) edges.

If you move to a 17x7 +40, you're moving the wheel/tire ~17.5mm further out towards your fender than the stock 215x45x18's.

In comparison to your current setup of 225x45x18s, the 17x7 + 40's will stick out ~12.5mm further than your current setup.

In summary, +40's are going to rub when at minimum when you hit bumps.

Also, if you go with a 225/45/17, you're speedometer will read 60 and you'll actually be doing 58.4mph. If you went with a 225/50/17, when you're speedometer reads 60, you'll be going 60.6mph (closer to accurate)..just something to keep in mind.

I have my choices down a a few rims and I'll list them all. Same tire for each.

17x8 +45 17x7.5 +48 or 17x7 +42 (will this last one clear the brakes?)
225/45/17 Hoosier A6's
Section width is 9.7
Tread width is 8.8

BTW what size tires did you put on your 17x7.5's?

I'm going to be on BC coilovers but with a minimal drop. I want the stiffness of the springs and shocks and could care less about an aggressive stance.

There are many sites across the net that have calculators that will help. While doing my research for my tires (again, i already had too much in the rims to just dump them), I realized the 225's on a +45 would rub. In talking with members of other forums, I found they had to roll with that combination (17/18x7.5, +45, 225/45(or 50)/17(or 18's).

http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp is a decent way to help determine what type of clearance difference you will have with different wheel/tire combinations.

I also suggest going to the tire-manufacturer websites and pulling specs on the tires (tire diameter, tread width, section width and what size rim the tires were measured on). If the section width is measured on a 7" rim and you have 7.5", when you mount them the section width will be slightly wider than what was provided by the manufacturer.

If I had to do it all over again (assuming a 17x7.5" rim), I'd go with a minimum of a +50 offset. In talking with another member with a x7.5" rim with SIZE: "18x7.5 and OFFSET: +48mm who used 225/45/18's they rubbed and had to roll their fenders.

Regards,
Bryan T.

Back