2023 CX-7

Just saw a report that there will be a CX7 in 2023. Hybrid with Toyota powertrain. Should be interesting. Been thinking about a Rav4 hybrid in a couple of years. The CX7 would be another option...but I don't buy first year cars, so would have to be a 2024 model year.

No one else is excited about this? I will seriously consider this against the Rav4 when we are in the market (2024/2025).
I certainly am but Mazda seems to be doing a great job at keeping their future model releases shrouded in mystery.

It also seems like there is still much speculation, I wouldn’t be surprised if people are feeling this and reserving some of their excitement for when we get confirmation.

Happy to know you’re excited about a possible CX-7 reboot with Toyota hybrid tech though…Seems this configuration is likely although I think calling it the CX-7 is less so…Who knows though…It would be cool to see the CX-7 badge put back into service!

I am also very stoked for what's coming down the pipes, which Mazda has been pretty forthcoming with information about, but growing tired of the speculation and rumours. #SpeculationSaturated

I haven't driven a hybrid Rav4 but have driven a Camry with the 2.5 in it and it was a great engine. SUPER fuel efficient and sounded surprisingly good when you revved it out..and it pulled pretty good when you got on it.

I think a hybrid drivetrain from Toyota powering a FWD-biased Mazda crossover, that comes from the new plant is a great thing for everyone involved. I'm hoping this crossover, with its increased size and improved fuel economy is well received by the masses of people looking for an A-B car with a little more spunk.

I think I've reserved myself to waiting out the RWD-based platform with the inline six, but you never know ;). Like @eddie1976E, I'd probably hold off for one or two years to account for teething issues, which the car is sure to have being a brand new model, built in a brand new plant, by a "new" workforce.

I don't see Mazda slotting another car between the CX-5 and the CX-9. CX-5 is 2-row seating, CX-9 is 3-row seating. They already killed off the CX-3 for not selling enough. And, there is too much overlap between the CX-5 and the CX-30. They should just add a hybrid powertrain option to the CX-5 and call it good enough.

While everyone loves the CX-5, the only complaint they have against it vs. CRV and Rav4 is lack of space. A CX7 might make those people happy. I personally would seriously consider the CX7 if it happens and the Rav4. I buy and drive cars 300k miles, 10-13 years....big decision. With Mazda embracing the Toyota hybrid, I wonder if they are throwing in the towel on the Skyactive x, at least for the US market?

I don't see Mazda slotting another car between the CX-5 and the CX-9. CX-5 is 2-row seating, CX-9 is 3-row seating. They already killed off the CX-3 for not selling enough. And, there is too much overlap between the CX-5 and the CX-30. They should just add a hybrid powertrain option to the CX-5 and call it good enough.
CX-5 sales have not gone down since the CX-30 was released and while there may be overlap, both are selling very well.

Last edited:
Look at the Toyota Venza, it slots in between the rav4 and the highlander. They are taking a page out of Nissan with their Murano and slotting it as a more upscale alternative to the rav4. It also come as an hybrid only.....the ressemblance with this potential Toyota shared CX-7 might not be a coincidence

Look at the Toyota Venza, it slots in between the rav4 and the highlander. They are taking a page out of Nissan with their Murano and slotting it as a more upscale alternative to the rav4. It also come as an hybrid only.....the ressemblance with this potential Toyota shared CX-7 might not be a coincidence
Mentioned the Venza to my wife and she gagged. Does not like the look at all. But that look may change in the future. Friend has one and loves it. Say's it is "finer" than the Rav4, less rugged more for in town comfort.

Back