2023 CX-5 Weird noise when engine started

I got my new CX-5 2023 in September’23. Quite recently, i observed that whenever I start the car, it makes a weird noise for like 15-20 sec and than stops. Once the engine is warm, and if I try to turn it off and start again, I won’t get this sound. Is this normal, something to do with cold weather/engine or I should get it checked.

Attaching the video file here.

Attachments

• IMG_1480.MOV
    22.4 MB
never heard anything like that, I would definitely complain to dealer
tried to turn off AC/climate?
tried to see if noise changes along with RPM? or comes back if you push gas a bit?
cold start is different from warmed up one is higher RPM to warm up the catalytic converter

I think Mazda used to explain this better in the earlier owners manuals, but this is all I could find in the '23 CX-5 online manual. I'm really surprised no one else here has steered you in the right direction as this has been a longstanding point of discussion on these forums. Basically, ALL Mazda Skyactiv gas engines make a lot of noise on cold starts. It's a function of the emission controls playing with the exhaust system in order to heat up the catalytic converters as quickly as possible for reduced cold start emissions. It lasts about 20 seconds in conjunction with the fast idle control and then goes away as the idle reduces. Only to return on the next dead cold start. THEY ALL DO IT! So don't go pestering the dealer about it.;)
 After starting a cold engine, the engine
speed increases and a whining sound
from the engine compartment can be
heard.
This is for improved exhaust gas
purification and does not indicate any
parts defect.

My '16 and '21 (turbo) don't make that sound...
As I mentioned they do increase RPM to about 1k to warm up the catalytic converter, but 1k RPM does NOT make that sound even in the coldest conditions
If you're saying that the noise is caused by higher RPM then pushing the gas would reproduce the noise, right?
Or the noise is produced by some other device, not the engine?

An engine making this kind of sound is dying, or that's what I thought before today lol
Maybe it's something that was introduced recently?
Or maybe it's a matter of the new engine settling in?
Would appreciate a link to those discussions

@Jeet23desai is that a turbo or not?

also the sound definitely not coming from the engine compartment
could it be that something is vibrating in the exhaust system, or exhaust pipes themselves? most probably that

I think Mazda used to explain this better in the earlier owners manuals, but this is all I could find in the '23 CX-5 online manual. I'm really surprised no one else here has steered you in the right direction as this has been a longstanding point of discussion on these forums. Basically, ALL Mazda Skyactiv gas engines make a lot of noise on cold starts. It's a function of the emission controls playing with the exhaust system in order to heat up the catalytic converters as quickly as possible for reduced cold start emissions. It lasts about 20 seconds in conjunction with the fast idle control and then goes away as the idle reduces. Only to return on the next dead cold start. THEY ALL DO IT! So don't go pestering the dealer about it.;)
heard.
parts defect.

Both of my Mazdas, the CX and the MX, make this sound with a cold start. Cold is relative of course, if it's 80 in your garage and the car is started for the first time that day, that's a cold start but you won't hear the noise then. It's all about the warmup.

Both of my Mazdas, the CX and the MX, make this sound with a cold start. Cold is relative of course, if it's 80 in your garage and the car is started for the first time that day, that's a cold start but you won't hear the noise then. It's all about the warmup.
You may not hear the noise when it's 80 degrees, but it's there. It just doesn't last long!

Maybe I'm confusing the CX-5 with another car but I remember something about fuel being temporarily injected into the exhaust manifold to warm the cat quickly and the combustion causes a roaring sound. No, I did not go looking for the injector but this post reminded me of that. Does anything like this ring a bell with anybody.

Haha I recorded a video of my car not making that noise during a cold start, but when I watched it back I heard exactly the same noise as op
I guess video makes it so much worse than it really is

My '16 and '21 (turbo) don't make that sound...
As I mentioned they do increase RPM to about 1k to warm up the catalytic converter, but 1k RPM does NOT make that sound even in the coldest conditions
If you're saying that the noise is caused by higher RPM then pushing the gas would reproduce the noise, right?
Or the noise is produced by some other device, not the engine?

An engine making this kind of sound is dying, or that's what I thought before today lol
Maybe it's something that was introduced recently?
Or maybe it's a matter of the new engine settling in?
Would appreciate a link to those discussions

@Jeet23desai is that a turbo or not?
It's not a turbo.

heard.
parts defect.
thank you so much for this @paris1 . Would you happen to have a link or any page which has this info? It would be good to know.

thank you so much for this @paris1 . Would you happen to have a link or any page which has this info? It would be good to know.
Page 4-6 of the 2023 CX-5 online owner's manual. They refer to it as a whine, but to my ear it sounds more like an small exhaust leak.

That's part of the story. But the action is causing an exhaust vibration. You could track it down to find its location. None of mine have done that.

I've owned mine going on 10 years and numerous times heard what reminds me of an exhaust leak. I just chalk it up to the nature of the beast.

Back