2023 CX-5 Turbo vs Premium Plus

I am in the market for a new CX-5. The Turbo and the Premium Plus have very close price and even their monthly payments are very close. I currently have a 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition Turbo and I love the Turbo drive. However, as most people know, that engine had (and still has) a lot of problems. It will be the family car (daily drive to drop off/pick up kids from school as well as long drives on the weekends).

Is it worth it or should I stick with the non-Turbo?

I don’t think 2023 turbos have issues. I test drove both and even had a non turbo rental 2021 for 3 weeks and no way i would get a non turbo

To each their own, I would test out an NA/non turbo cx5 and see if you're fine with it because it's all up to personal preference. I've driven both and love living with the non turbo, but others would always be wanting more power so you really just gotta drive it yourself to decide. I'm at 6k elevation too and I'm still content with the power lol
Before when I oblivious to the pros/cons of each, I had a non-Turbo and a Turbo. I lived fine with both but definitely enjoyed the Turbo more. I am just concerned about the reliability issues for both!

Before when I oblivious to the pros/cons of each, I had a non-Turbo and a Turbo. I lived fine with both but definitely enjoyed the Turbo more. I am just concerned about the reliability issues for both!
Same here. '17 NA and '22 Turbo.
Love the turbo. What problem? Cracked cylinder block?
That was fixed in '21, I believe, by modification.

I have both 2018 NA and 2022 Turbo. Waited till late 2022 so that most of the early issues are solved or so I hope.
There is no comparison. Get the turbo or you will regret later. It has every feature you could ask for in that class except massaging seats and the 360 cam/park sensors :)

I am in the market for a new CX-5. The Turbo and the Premium Plus have very close price and even their monthly payments are very close. I currently have a 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition Turbo and I love the Turbo drive. However, as most people know, that engine had (and still has) a lot of problems. It will be the family car (daily drive to drop off/pick up kids from school as well as long drives on the weekends).

Is it worth it or should I stick with the non-Turbo?
If you really want to stick with the Mazda CX-5 and ignore the “long-term” reliability concern on both engines, choose the 2.5T as you’re enjoying the power it provides. Mazda has modified the cylinder head on the 2.5T which is supposed to “fix” the cracked cylinder head problem but only the time can tell.

On the other hand, the 2.5L NA with CD has suffered cracked cylinder head and failing switchable hydraulic lash adjuster problems. Mazda has never claimed they have modified the head, although they did revise the switchable HLAs.

It’s your choice to make.

Unless you're getting a really good deal, or have a lot of miles on your '21, why not keep the 2021 Turbo? How much is the change going to cost? It's the same car.

If you will stay within the 5 year 60K powertrain warranty, I would consider keeping your current CX-5 a while longer.

The biggest downside of Turbo is EPA, I get 23MPG, not good for daily commute
Tank is same size as non-Turbo so gas station stops are frequent
Very noticeable after switching from '16 with its 29MPG
I am lucky my 2023 turbo with 4000 miles gets 28-29mpg. I would be disappointed with 23mpg too

If your commute is the same I highly doubt that there's that much difference in MPG. We have a 16 NA and a 19 Turbo and the gas mileage is roughly the same.
Sure you're not driving it like it was stolen.

Let not your heart be troubled ... I've got a solution for you

IMG_20230523_065228716_HDR.jpg

Gobs of torque AND efficiency. Diesel for the win! 😁👍

I agree. The MPG gap is larger than EPA numbers indicate.
But, I still love the passing power on highway every time.

Unless you're getting a really good deal, or have a lot of miles on your '21, why not keep the 2021 Turbo? How much is the change going to cost? It's the same car.

If you will stay within the 5 year 60K powertrain warranty, I would consider keeping your current CX-5 a while longer.
That was my initial plan until it started to show issues related to the famous TSB about the oil burn., especially that year. And then it was going to be a lot of money out of pocket (it was a lease so I had to pay $23k residual + $1800 title, tax and registration, $2700 extended warranty and the wheels were coming to end of life so that's another $1000). I talked to the dealer and I got a really good deal on the 2023 Turbo (White) so I pulled the trigger.

I am really used to this. It is the same thing on my 2021 CE Turbo

That was my initial plan until it started to show issues related to the famous TSB about the oil burn., especially that year. And then it was going to be a lot of money out of pocket (it was a lease so I had to pay $23k residual + $1800 title, tax and registration, $2700 extended warranty and the wheels were coming to end of life so that's another $1000). I talked to the dealer and I got a really good deal on the 2023 Turbo (White) so I pulled the trigger.

Cool, if the deal is fair I can see doing the switch. Enjoy the new car.

Back