2022 MX-30 Details for the US Market (Kirk Kreifels video)

Antoine

Administrator
Kirk recently posted up a nice overview of the official 2022 MX-30 US market details. Looks like it'll be available in California first and as a full EV initially (there may be Plugin Hybrid or Range Extender versions available in the future). He makes good points for and against the fully electric MX-30, mentioning that the range and power is limited but with tax credits it could be a great value. Also it may be attractive to people who are looking for something more unique yet "affordable" in the EV space.

I really like the MX-30's design (exterior and interior) and the fact it's capable of being an EV...I hope we'll see variants with more power, range and awd someday...Thoughts?

Anyone seriously considering purchasing one?

Bonjour Antoine! With the 2022 Chevy Bolt EV and Bolt EUV offered at a very low price plus Nissan recent price drop on their Leaf, it's gonna be hard for Mazda to compete in that segment. Perhaps with some help from their Toyota partner, they will be more competitive. The styling looks great!

Personally I feel like this would be a good commuter car for me. The Bolt and the Leaf would also be good commuter cars, but I prefer the exterior styling and the interior of the MX-30, and I would be comfortable paying a premium for it.

I feel that at the end of the day, the low range will keep it from being anything other than a compliance car for Mazda, at least until they add the range extender (but who knows how much it may increase the price).

Last edited:
Probably their first attempt at an EV until a new design arrives. Like the VW eGolf was until the ID4 was announced. I would have liked an AWD EV crossover but there was nothing available last year, so that's why I still have a gas powered vehicle. Where I live, we have up to Can $13,000 government incentives plus clean and cheap hydro electrical power, a winning combo!

Bonjour @Freedom55 😁 You and @sm1ke make excellent points...I have faith Mazda can deliver equally (if not more) compelling EVs compared to their current "ICE" offerings but it will take time. The MX-30 is a solid start and could be the model that introduces their potentially game changing Rotary Range Extender technology.

Seems Mazda has an opportunity here to combine these various EV related technologies in a way that makes them feel very new, very interesting and very appealing...The same approach the German manufactures are taking with their EVs but in a uniquely Mazda/Japanese way.

I'm certainly watching the MX-30's development and this "space" closely...Can't wait to see what's coming next!

Mazda being a small company cannot afford to do too many costly mistakes; every manufacturer makes mistakes! In recent years they have improved in many ways since Ford no longer owns part of it; no more rust, quieter, better fit & finish, great styling, new power plants, etc.. However the diesel CX-5 was a short lived offering and I have a feeling the MX-30 will be the same. I just hope they will still have some $$$ to spend in r&d to bring interesting new models. Something the size of a CX-5 with full EV and available AWD would be my choice; the competitors are coming, Nissan, Hyundai/Kia, Toyota, Subaru, etc. with similar vehicles. Gas compact crossovers are extremely popular, so will their EV counterparts; most EV and hybrids have been hatchbacks and sedans, duh!

Back