2022 CX-5?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
For me, there’s a lot of contradictory information and confusion about the model changes for 2022/2023.

But I think the consensus is that:
a) the 2022 CX 5 is a carryover of the current generation with few if any changes
b) a larger CX 5/50 will be launched in 2022 as a 2023

Is that the general feeling here, or is there some new inside scoop?

And when can we expect to see the 2022? I think the 2021 was first reviewed in late August/September last year.

I'm not sure the CX-5 will be replaced yet. The new model appears larger and will likely be built in the new Toyota-Mazda Joint Venture US plant with new equipment (and a new US workforce); I think the new model may be sold alongside it, between the CX-5 and CX-9 at a higher entry price point. We'll see. The CX-5 tooling is paid for and the model represents close to half of Mazda's sales in some major markets. It's certainly possible that it will replace the CX-5, but if it does, I expect a higher starting price point especially with all of the inflation recently.

1629300228998.png

If the CX-50 or whatever it is called has the rumored six cylinder engine as standard, you can bet the price will be going up a decent bit. That's one reason I think the CX-5 may continue to be produced.

Fine with me if they continue with the CX 5. I think the current design is still fresh. Wonder what additional bells and whistles could be added to keep it “new” after last year’s nice upgrades?

Fine with me if they continue with the CX 5. I think the current design is still fresh. Wonder what additional bells and whistles could be added to keep it “new” after last year’s nice upgrades?

There is always the option of a "facelift" or mid-cycle refresh.. different grille and/or front and rear bumper shape, new wheel design, maybe slightly altered headlight/taillight design. Minor changes to interior like different colour options, maybe changes to interior trim, possibly even a larger screen. Plenty of other features they could add as well, like standard remote start, lane tracing, individual TPMS display, etc. (though I wouldn't count on it).

There is always the option of a "facelift" or mid-cycle refresh.. different grille and/or front and rear bumper shape, new wheel design, maybe slightly altered headlight/taillight design. Minor changes to interior like different colour options, maybe changes to interior trim, possibly even a larger screen. Plenty of other features they could add as well, like standard remote start, lane tracing, individual TPMS display, etc. (though I wouldn't count on it).

The '21 CX-5 includes remote start standard now that a Telematics Control Unit (cell phone radio/tracking beacon, though it does have an "opt-out"...allegedly) is standard equipment. I think there will certainly be a refresh, expect they'll keep the lights, just change the grille and some trim pieces. They might change the wheels. There is a system for lane monitoring as well, though it could be upgraded (doubt it).

You can check out the Mazda Toyota Huntsville plant on Google Maps. The Street View is all out of date, but the satellite view is from 2021. You can see the spare capacity in the parking lots and storage areas.

mazdatoyota.png

Last edited:
They are always hiring, that’s for sure. As a Huntsville resident I see their ads all over Google and social media. Very good thing for our local economy :D

To OP.
What you said is what I knew so far from browsing the web for the past years or so.
CX-50 will be one-size up from CX-5 (much like CX-30 is bigger than CX-3).
It will be on RWD platform as you said.
Built in Alabama, US of A. :)

To OP.
What you said is what I knew so far from browsing the web for the past years or so.
CX-50 will be one-size up from CX-5 (much like CX-30 is bigger than CX-3).
It will be on RWD platform as you said.
Built in Alabama, US of A. :)
I can put a bet that it won't be build in the new factory in Alabama. The new large architecture is too important for them, to be built outside of Japan. If you look at the current production, outside of Japan you will see that with the exception of the Mazda 3 and CX-30 (partially, because some of them are being produced in Japan), none of they're important cars are build outside of Japan.

Alabama will build the new FWD CX-7 or whatever the name will be, the car that has been spy'ed and discussed in the CX-50 thread.

I think it would be riskier to discontinue the CX-5 than it would be to replace it with a different sized model. Assuming it continues to sell well, I could see it being sold for a few more years.
I read a CX-30 review and it noted that a CX-5 could be as inexpensive as some of the CX-30s and maybe a better value because of the size.

I noticed that the EPA fuel economy isn't much better than the CX-5's. They might want to offer more drivetrain options for the CX-5.

To bad the 2.2l diesel didn't work out. I wonder what they are doing about it.

Well, the CX-30 is certainly more profitable. Certain changes like a twist beam rear suspension are quicker and cheaper to build than an independent rear suspension, but the pay and transport are the biggest factors. Average Japan Auto worker earns $15/hour, average Mexico auto worker earns $3.50/hour. Plus, it's certainly much cheaper to ship by truck to U.S. market vs via ship across the ocean, yet destination charge is the same.

Personally, I think they'll continue with the 2.0, 2.5, and 2.5T for a few years and add the 6 cyl as a new model, until the EV lineup is ready (real, competitive EVs - not the joke, limited range, pricey MX-30 compliance car). Speculation, I know. They've also been rumored to be working on a rotary engine as a range extender.

Also saw this article... think they're having that absenteeism and lack of work ethic in Hofu or Hiroshima? Unlikely.

"Carmel-by-the-Sea, California (CNN)Face masks are required again in major US auto factories and, according to Ford CEO Jim Farley, that has some workers deciding not to show up for work. In some factories, absentee rates can exceed 20%, he said in an interview with CNN Business.
"When a fifth of your workforce isn't coming in, in a manufacturing operation where everyone has their job and you don't know who's going to be missing every day, man, it's really challenging," Farley said.
General Motors, Ford (F) and Stellantis, the company that makes Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler vehicles, agreed with the United Auto Workers union in early August to begin requiring masks in their factories again. That mandate has contributed to the absentee problem, Farley said.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/16/succ...rs-with-over-100000-miles-feseries/index.html
"The economics of staying out of work are getting more attractive during the summer," he said. "It's people that are apprehensive. It's people who say, 'I don't want to wear a mask this week.' It's a variety of things."

Think the Mazdas that roll out of the Alabama plant (built by many without any automotive experience) will be at the same quality as a Japan built one for the first few years? I think not.

It was exactly a year ago that Mazda announced the 2021 CX 5 would go on sale in September. I’m not aware of anything official for 2022 yet. I wonder if the Covid surge in Japan is influencing things.

It was exactly a year ago that Mazda announced the 2021 CX 5 would go on sale in September. I’m not aware of anything official for 2022 yet. I wonder if the Covid surge in Japan is influencing things.

The 2022 CX-5, if it's even planned, will be the exact same platform as 2021 with maybe wireless carplay or something along those lines. Nothing substantial changes for Mazda until Fall 2022.

I would guess that if there was anything coming out as '22 CX-5 there would be some news of it somewhere by now. We're 3 months from 2022.

Last edited:
Interesting idea. The 2019 RDX went on sale June 1 2018 so I suppose that could happen. But there still was a 2018 which was basically unchanged from 2017.
I can’t see the 2021 holding the Fort for months…likely we’ll see a carryover 2022 with very minor changes, if any.

There's been spy shots of the next gen CX-5/50 or whatever, someone would have one of the 2022 if there was anything to report.

I think that’s the point. There won’t be any need for spy shots etc. At some point, Mazda or a source will report some minor upgrade for 2022, a new colour etc. The big news will be the announcement of the 2023 CX5/CX-50.

There's been spy shots of the next gen CX-5/50 or whatever, someone would have one of the 2022 if there was anything to report.
The latest speculation I have heard on those spy shots is that's a shared platform with Toyota and will ultimately become a CX-7 with a hybrid drivetrain and produced here in the US.

The CX-50 will almost certainly be manufactured in Japan for 2023 MY with the new turbo I6 mild hybrid engine and 8 speed trans.

Back