2022 CX-5 Carbon totaled by drunk driver

If you have not borrowed money for 20 yrs then you should put a hold on all three credit reporting agencies so nobody can access your accounts. That way nobody can take a loan out in your name or open a credit card account.
On second thought, one area where a credit report freeze could cause problems is with insurance renewals. Most jurisdictions do not prevent using credit ratings in determining premiums. I'm not sure what would happen at renewal of auto and homeowners insurance. Will they advise of inability to rate in advance or just rate without it which would mean a higher premium? I wonder what other possible negative impacts there might be.

Ended up getting $1459 back from Mazda leasing as "overpay." Would have been nice if they just told me I was getting that as opposed to saying no flat out :rolleyes:.
Whatever, it is something.
Still dealing with credit bureaus and taking a stupid defensive driving course online right now to get 15$ a month off my insurance premium lol
Happy Sunday :coffee:

On second thought, one area where a credit report freeze could cause problems is with insurance renewals. Most jurisdictions do not prevent using credit ratings in determining premiums. I'm not sure what would happen at renewal of auto and homeowners insurance. Will they advise of inability to rate in advance or just rate without it which would mean a higher premium? I wonder what other possible negative impacts there might be.
I've had my credit froze for at least 3 yrs now and never had a problem with my insurance renewing.
Previously I remember (Nationwide) adding a form for credit review (which might lower your premium) but that was after the fact. It would not prevent your insurance from renewing if you declined. If you OK'd the credit check and they found out your premium should be lower they would send you a check. My current insurer (American Family Connect) does not even ask. AFC has low rates to begin with - no talking lizard or Flo. Just over a 100 yrs insuring and no commericals.

I've had my credit froze for at least 3 yrs now and never had a problem with my insurance renewing.
Previously I remember (Nationwide) adding a form for credit review (which might lower your premium) but that was after the fact. It would not prevent your insurance from renewing if you declined. If you OK'd the credit check and they found out your premium should be lower they would send you a check. My current insurer (American Family Connect) does not even ask. AFC has low rates to begin with - no talking lizard or Flo. Just over a 100 yrs insuring and no commericals.
Have you had any claims with them? Curious as to how they are to deal with.

Have you had any claims with them? Curious as to how they are to deal with.
No, haven't had any claims. They have a good reputation, they were affiliated with Ameriprise Financial, that's how I found out about them. Their premiums (for same coverage) were half of what I was paying with Nationwide. I did a lot of checking before I switched.

American Family is the No. 2 insurance company in our 2023 rating, behind only No. 1 USAA. Based in Madison, Wisconsin, American Family got its start in 1927 as a regional car insurance company. Today, American Family sells a full line of insurance products in 19 primarily Midwestern and Western states.

I was hit with identity theft in June 2023, then the engine on my Hyundai crapped out and I needed to buy a new automobile. I had locked my credit reports, social security number and filed a report with the Federal Trade Commission. When I went to buy my 2023 CX-5 in July 2023, I simply unlocked the credit bureau the dealer needed to check, then locked it back up when the got the report. My insurance with the new automobile also had no issues inspite of all of the locks in place. Mine is with State Farm, as it has been since the 20th Century, and there have been no issues. I am keeping all of my locks in place, three credit bureaus, my bank account, SSN and I am sure I am missing one other lock. Safety before convenience, though thus far there has been no inconvenience.

I also want to extend my sympathy. Im glad there no injury to self. I’m not intending to hijack your post but my car was totaled 2 weeks ago. No one hurt but i was in a stupor for a few days while reality of insurance claims and finding money for another car started breaking through the haze.
It was just a tailgating speeding fool who wrecked the car.
The idea of a drunk doing then walking way free is deeply upsetting. And he’s free to do more harm.
I hope the problems resolve soon. We’ll be thinking of you so update us with news.
Mt

Back