2021 Vs. 2019-2020 CX-9

Thanks all!

What is everyones opinion on FWD vs AWD? We live in Nor Cal and maybe go to the snow 2x a year. I can save $2-3000 by going FWD as well as a bit better gas mileage but not sure if I will regret not going AWD. We do have a 2019 tahoe we can use for snow trips but maybe it would be nice to have AWD on the cx9 just in case.
It’ll depend in your area if AWD is needed but for most part a FWD vehicle is good enough. I wouldn’t worry too much about the MPG advantage on a FWD vs AWD as not huge of a diff. IMO I would consider though the resale value...while you save $2-3K for a FWD, you’ll get that back in an AWD when you sell/trade that in not to mention the added advantage in traction when the road gets slippery/slushy/icy/etc and you can’t really put a price tag on that. When it comes to SUVs/CUVs the AWD adds to the “desirability” and in our market here in Cda, most CX9s and CX5s sold are in AWD. If you plan to keep it long term then FWD should be just fine. In terms of reliability, I’ve had my 2017 Signature for 4yrs now and no issues on the AWD system nor that front bumper cracking issue...good luck on your choice!

Otw to take a look at a cx9. Just in case, is there a special break in to follow with the cx9? Considering its turbo and it's my first mazda/turbo vehicle I want to be prepared in case we end up buying. 😀

Otw to take a look at a cx9. Just in case, is there a special break in to follow with the cx9? Considering its turbo and it's my first mazda/turbo vehicle I want to be prepared in case we end up buying. 😀
No specified break-in procedures by Mazda but just like any new vehicle, recommended to not race engine above 4K rpm during 1st 1000kms; not to stay on 1 gear for extended period of time, & no sudden or hard braking

Need some advice guys. So went to look at it, I thought it was freshly off the truck. Turns out it was a dealer trade from my own city about 80 miles away. Has 160 miles on it, window sticker was off, protective cover off the infotainment screen, and could tell it's been driven around some. Should only have around 90ish miles but sitting at 160.

Salesman was nice, said it wasn't driven as a loaner or dealer hauler but I have my doubts. Some small scratches on inside center console like keys been there.

I asked for better price then $37,961 but they won't budge. Not sure what to do at this point. Leaning on just waiting until 2022 for a 2021 CPO, hmmm.

As far as the vehicle, it is very nice and drives great. I had my 1 carseat (convertible) and 2 boosters and tried to get them into the 2nd row bench and it is a SUPER tight squeeze. Almost like I may not be able to fit my 3 kids there. I think I could get smaller boosters tho as the 2 I have now have big armrests on the booster. Not too worried about that, but my wife is.

My biggest concern is this seems like a loaner car to be honest, yes 150 miles isn't much but my calculation should be 90ish miles since I know exactly what dealer it came from, its 5 miles from my house.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
To add one more thing I noticed...every door handle behind the handle itself like the door part, a lot of scratches from people going in and out of every single door. Not just a few but multiple...just an observation.

Need some advice guys. So went to look at it, I thought it was freshly off the truck. Turns out it was a dealer trade from my own city about 80 miles away. Has 160 miles on it, window sticker was off, protective cover off the infotainment screen, and could tell it's been driven around some. Should only have around 90ish miles but sitting at 160.

Salesman was nice, said it wasn't driven as a loaner or dealer hauler but I have my doubts. Some small scratches on inside center console like keys been there.

I asked for better price then $37,961 but they won't budge. Not sure what to do at this point. Leaning on just waiting until 2022 for a 2021 CPO, hmmm.

As far as the vehicle, it is very nice and drives great. I had my 1 carseat (convertible) and 2 boosters and tried to get them into the 2nd row bench and it is a SUPER tight squeeze. Almost like I may not be able to fit my 3 kids there. I think I could get smaller boosters tho as the 2 I have now have big armrests on the booster. Not too worried about that, but my wife is.

My biggest concern is this seems like a loaner car to be honest, yes 150 miles isn't much but my calculation should be 90ish miles since I know exactly what dealer it came from, its 5 miles from my house.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Most likely it was driven by several potential customers at the originating dealer and left their lot with 80 miles on it already. I will say this, if it is going to bother you and always be on your mind , even a little bit, then I would pass on that particular one. However, if you can get it lower by playing hardball with them and pointing these things out, come tomorrow if you tell them you will give them an immediate deposit for xxxxx price take it or leave it, they may cave. Last day of the month and you being home and not at the dealership gives YOU the control power. They already know you were there and drove it so a firm " I'll come down and sign right now for xxxxx dollars" may get them wet enough to deal.

Also, do a search on all dealers within a 100 mile radius for that car on the dealers own website and find it and write the vin number down. Then, call each of those dealers who have the car and ask for the email of the new car sales manager or internet manager. Ask to speak to them if they are there and if you get them on the phone, tell them you are going to send them an email regarding purchasing a specific vehicle on their lot in current inventory right now and to please reply asap. Then send each of those people the same email but put then VIN numbers for each dealers vehicle match in the corresponding email and state that you have sent this email to alll dealers in 100 miles radius that that this exact vehicle on their lot and will be buying today xxxxx price straight up.

Last edited:
Thanks so much. It is definitely bothering me, I know it shouldn't and I am nit picking but we will own this vehicle for the long haul so I want to be sure of our purchase.

This particular color/trim with 2nd row bench seems to be non existent here in the bay area California but I bet there will be more coming this year for sure.

I did find out the local dealer got this car back in September 2020 before being dealer traded, I'm surprised it hasn't sold by now. Maybe cx9 FWD market just isn't there and I could hold out and score an even better price.

This may actually be a blessing in disguise as deep down I do want an AWD. Although I say we will take the Tahoe to the snow, I can already seeing us going in the CX9.

They do have an AWD same options and color just in AWD. Hmmm I may reach out to ask! Lol

I agree. If it bothers you, don’t do it. Mine was a dealer trade and had 160 miles on it but it was pristine. The protective wraps were still on the screen and trim pieces around the cabin. I was good with it.

The little things you described would have bothered me too. This is a big purchase. You need to be 100% confident about it. Plus, if you want the AWD, hold out for it!

Thanks Trip! Now I could definitely live with it if all the protective wraps were still on and was pristine. I didn't even know some trim pieces have protective film on it but good to know for future reference.

We will see what the day brings tomorrow. 👍

Thanks Trip! Now I could definitely live with it if all the protective wraps were still on and was pristine. I didn't even know some trim pieces have protective film on it but good to know for future reference.

We will see what the day brings tomorrow. 👍
If you REALLY want to screw with that dealer and have no intention of buying that particular car from them, then what I would do is call the sales guy/ manager and ask him to send you a detailed quote via email attachment with breakdown, line by line so you can see exactly the purchase price, discounts, fees and taxes ON THEIR dealership worksheet (not just in the body of an email) AND THEN send that quote to the other dealers and ask them to beat it for a sale today. Be sure to ask them to physically check and tell you the miles on the odometer to confirm you are satisfied with the number. Boom you win.

If you REALLY want to screw with that dealer and have no intention of buying that particular car from them, then what I would do is call the sales guy/ manager and ask him to send you a detailed quote via email attachment with breakdown, line by line so you can see exactly the purchase price, discounts, fees and taxes ON THEIR dealership worksheet (not just in the body of an email) AND THEN send that quote to the other dealers and ask them to beat it for a sale today. Be sure to ask them to physically check and tell you the miles on the odometer to confirm you are satisfied with the number. Boom you win.

This. Like I mentioned in my previous post, contact 4 or 5 dealers by email and haggle prices before you even walk into the show room. This is being a smart consumer, doing your research, and finding the best offer.

Go to their local websites and find an Internet sales manager or go to Edmunds and use their free dealer email service. Email them with the exact model you want and once the emails start rolling in, get the bidding war started. This is exactly what I did and it saved thousands. I received the lowest offer from a dealer that was about two hours away. I shared a screenshot of a section of the paperwork with the closest dealer and they matched the price.

Truth be told, for a hot deal I would’ve driven up to three hours to get the right car if the local dealer did not match the price but 9 times out of 10 they will. If they won’t, move onto the next dealer.

Did exactly this last night.

I got one reply back from another dealer who stocked the only other FWD metallic grey GT in the whole bay area and he said no. But that may be OK as we may go the AWD route. Searching inventory locally within a 150 mile radius and there are 3 metallic gray AWD GTs available.

One is from the same dealer as I went to yesterday and I text him to check on the mileage and if it has all the protective plastics etc. He hasn't replied but did say he can give same deal of $6,000 off MSRP.

Trip CX9 and tchman2016 are right. You need to play hardball. Even my dealer, who I have a great relationship with, will first quote me a ridiculous price - basically the MSRP minus $100. Only when I show them a lower price from someone close, will they start coming down.

That new 2022 Acura MDX is gorgeous and nice interior. Of course comes with a price of $60k for the features I'd want. Cx9 still a winner for us.
Screenshot_20210201-093343_Samsung Internet.jpg

Trip CX9 and tchman2016 are right. You need to play hardball. Even my dealer, who I have a great relationship with, will first quote me a ridiculous price - basically the MSRP minus $100. Only when I show them a lower price from someone close, will they start coming down.

Still working on it. A few dealers replied back can't beat the best price I've gotten thus far.

We are in no rush, maybe Presidents Day sale will bring some awesome deals.

Last edited:
That new 2022 Acura MDX is gorgeous and nice interior. Of course comes with a price of $60k for the features I'd want. Cx9 still a winner for us. View attachment 294815

The shifter would take some getting used to, but I'm sure after a few weeks I'd adapt. All the piano black on the interior gives me pause. It scratches way too easily on all the cars I've had it. Looks nice in photos though. I also like how the front grille is a decent size as opposed to some others, like the GV80 or the RX350.

That new 2022 Acura MDX is gorgeous and nice interior. Of course comes with a price of $60k for the features I'd want. Cx9 still a winner for us. View attachment 294815

There is just something about all those buttons on the inside of a Acura. Gives me a headache. With that said, the Acura is a steal when compared to the Q7 or XC90 and this new model looks much more competitive.

In some angles this new MDX appear to have borrowed some design cues from CX-9 (long hood, front end, side profile, etc) which isn’t a bad thing considering Mazda makes amazing designs. The price tag is just too steep at $60K vs a CX9 Signature at $45K-ish?! Of course different markets as MDX aimed towards luxury buyers...if it were me I’d save the $15K and get the CX-9 as that $15K is already a decent used car but of course that’s just me - luxury buyers with lots of dough won’t care.

Back