2021 CX-9 Cleaning Question: Fingerprints

I have a 2021 CX9 Signature with 2 fingerprint cleaning questions:

1) The interior has black panels on the top of each door, what do you use to remove the fingerprints. All mild cleaners I've used to no satisfaction.

2) The exterior between each door/window has high gloss black plastic vertical panels that accumulate fingerprints! Washing and drying with microfiber towels does nothing. Cleaners, wax, does nothing and I don't want to use anything harsh that will scratch the panels. WD40 hides it for a short period of time.

Appreciate any responses.

You can use some ammonia free glass cleaner such as stoners invisible glass on a fresh microfiber. Please do not use WD-40
Thank you for your response.
All my glass cleaners are ammonia free....doesn't help.
WD-40 was used only on the exterior black plastic.
Never owned a car with this problem.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response.
All my glass cleaners are ammonia free....doesn't help.
WD-40 was used only on the exterior black plastic.
Never owned a car with this problem.

Marking up the exterior trim is a common problem with any car that uses glossy piano black trim pieces (interior and exterior). Meguiar's PlastX is a plastic polish that should work. I use a hand drill and a small polishing pad attachment to apply the polish. Novus also makes a plastic polish that works really well. After polishing, try to only clean that area using a microfiber, and only horizontal wiping to avoid vertical scratches. Vertical scratching aka micromarring is much easier to notice than horizontal scratching.

For the interior, I just use a wet microfiber or terry cloth and wipe. Works for me.

Upvote 0
Just to add as well, if you plan to use a polish, try to go very lightly at first to avoid damaging the finish. Do a light first pass and wipe off - if the finish isn't satisfactory, do another pass with a little bit more pressure, and/or a slower hand speed (how quickly you move your hand/tool over the area).

Upvote 0
I use this product between washes......works well on any exterior or interior plastic or metal surfaces. Similar products from Chemical Guys and/or Meguiars will work as well. You shouldn't need anything more abrasive to remove fingerprints as the interior and exterior black pieces will easily scratch. Spray on, wipe off, easy peasy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For what it’s worth, when I got my CX-9 new it was already showing scratches on the exterior black plastic. I went to an auto detailing shop and had them put PPF on the B and C pillars and I haven’t had any issue with fingerprints or scratches of any kind. Very pleased with the results.

Upvote 0
Back