2021 CX-5 Engine Air Filter schedule 1 vs schedule 2 USA with typo?

My owners manual says to replace the engine air filter for schedule 1 at 36 months or 22,500 mi vs schedule 2 (more severe) also at 36 months OR 30,000 miles but that's more mileage lol is this a typo. See photos With red arrow.

Attachments

• 0E6DEF37-8D4A-4F78-8459-A969EB807BD2.jpeg
    0E6DEF37-8D4A-4F78-8459-A969EB807BD2.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 104
  • C7FDB015-7D4B-42DE-B886-998784F19506.jpeg
    C7FDB015-7D4B-42DE-B886-998784F19506.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 93
Interesting.
What does the *1 say on the severe schedule?
*1 for Schedule 2 (more severe) says clean or replace. Wow really cleaning it for a severe schedule lol

Funny that statement *1 should be applied to schedule 1 instead of schedule 2 (more severe).

Attachments

• 4F5DB444-9B3A-4378-B006-38CCDD0752D8.jpeg
    4F5DB444-9B3A-4378-B006-38CCDD0752D8.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 75
My owners manual says to replace the engine air filter for schedule 1 at 36 months or 22,500 mi vs schedule 2 (more severe) also at 36 months OR 30,000 miles but that's more mileage lol is this a typo. See photos With red arrow.
Not surprised. The same happened on cabin air filter replacement schedule.

Recently, in another thread, I highlighted a few anomalies and oddities in the 2020 service schedule, that being one of them.

The most important would be this:

US/PR Schedule 1 make no mention of brake and clutch fluid at all. That must be an oversight.

US/PR Schedule 2 and the Canada schedule say to inspect brake and clutch fluid level every 5k miles. With no indication of fluid testing or replacement, we are led to believe these fluids are "lifetime of the vehicle".

My US Full Circle Report Card does say to check brake fluid condition, so there's that.

Both Mexico Schedules say to replace the brake fluid every 24 months / 40,000 km (about 24,000 miles.

References to "clutch fluid" does beg a question. Are not all US 2020 CX-5's automatic transmissions? Does the auto internal clutch have it's own fluid? If so, is that a sealed unit or is the fluid checkable and replaceable? My Full Circle Report shows only "check clutch operation" which the tech scratched out, evidently a manual transmission item.

Recently, in another thread, I highlighted a few anomalies and oddities in the 2020 service schedule, that being one of them.

The most important would be this:

US/PR Schedule 1 make no mention of brake and clutch fluid at all. That must be an oversight.

US/PR Schedule 2 and the Canada schedule say to inspect brake and clutch fluid level every 5k miles. With no indication of fluid testing or replacement, we are led to believe these fluids are "lifetime of the vehicle".

My US Full Circle Report Card does say to check brake fluid condition, so there's that.

Both Mexico Schedules say to replace the brake fluid every 24 months / 40,000 km (about 24,000 miles.

References to "clutch fluid" does beg a question. Are not all US 2020 CX-5's automatic transmissions? Does the auto internal clutch have it's own fluid? If so, is that a sealed unit or is the fluid checkable and replaceable? My Full Circle Report shows only "check clutch operation" which the tech scratched out, evidently a manual transmission item.
Same findings my man…. and what about the all wheel drive system like the rear diff/transfer case oil?

Btw does the Maintenance Reminder also follow the maintenance schedules? If so then it automatically notifies you if its schedule 1 or schedule 2 (more severe)?

Btw does the Maintenance Reminder also follow the maintenance schedules? If so then it automatically notifies you if its schedule 1 or schedule 2 (more severe)?
This was also discussed recently in another thread. Per the 2020 manual, all five schedules say the same thing for rear differential and transfer oils: no service unless the "component has been submerged in water," in which case is should be replaced. More "lifetime of the vehicle" items if the manual is to be believed.

I reckon brake fluid replacement around 3 years / 36,000 miles would be reasonable on the conservative end of the scale. The various trans fluids maybe 50,000 - 60,000 miles, maybe more often if you do a lot of towing. I still don't know whether the automatic clutch is in fact a service item or a sealed unit.
Well, you can go to Applications-->Vehicle Status Monitor-->Maintenance on the touch screen, at least in a 2020 anyway.

From there, according to the manual, if you select "Flexible" then "the vehicle calculates the remaining oil life based on the engine operating conditions." Or you can go with "Fixed" and set your own miles to the next oil change, also rotation separately.

I don't think this monitor, however you set it, monitors anything except oil changes, fixed or flexible, and fixed rotations. I think there is a tendency to believe that automotive computers do more than they actually are capable of. "Adapting to your driving style" is another of those exaggerations, maybe a little bit at the margins.

Anyway, mine is set to "fixed" and the dealer who did my last oil change set it to 5,000 miles for next oil and rotation if that isn't in fact the default upon a "fixed" reset.

Frankly, I don't pay any attention to it. In fact, I turned it off. Even with it off, it still shows the miles to the next 5,000 mile oil change. I track maintenance myself in a spreadsheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was also discussed recently in another thread. Per the 2020 manual, all five schedules say the same thing for rear differential and transfer oils: no service unless the "component has been submerged in water," in which case is should be replaced. More "lifetime of the vehicle" items if the manual is to be believed.

I reckon brake fluid replacement around 3 years / 36,000 miles would be reasonable on the conservative end of the scale. The various trans fluids maybe 50,000 - 60,000 miles, maybe more often if you do a lot of towing. I still don't know whether the automatic clutch is in fact a service item or a sealed unit.

Well, you can go to Applications-->Vehicle Status Monitor-->Maintenance on the touch screen, at least in a 2020 anyway.

From there, according to the manual, if you select "Flexible" then "the vehicle calculates the remaining oil life based on the engine operating conditions." Or you can go with "Fixed" and set your own miles to the next oil change, also rotation separately.

I don't think this monitor, however you set it, monitors anything except oil changes, fixed or flexible, and fixed rotations. I think there is a tendency to believe that automotive computers do more than they actually are capable of. "Adapting to your driving style" is another of those exaggerations, maybe a little bit at the margins.

Anyway, mine is set to "fixed" and the dealer who did my last oil change set it 5,000 miles for next oil and rotation if that isn't in fact the default upon a "fixed" reset.

Frankly, I don't pay any attention to it. In fact, I turned it off. Even with it off, it still shows the miles to the next 5,000 mile oil change. I track maintenance myself in a spreadsheet.
So even for my 2021 manual, the Maintenance Indicator does not show the change intervals for rear diff/trans case oil, brake fluid, transmission/clutch fluid and, fuel filter even when driven Schedule 2 (SEVERE) in the US according to the manual.

Now in Mexico it does show for Schedule 1 the fuel filter is replaced at 37,282 mi and the brake fluid at 22,854 mi but Mexico is a harsher environment.

Wow…. I guess I am following the 3 yrs/30k mi brake fluid change based on many others voices and my previous experiences from my Civic. For the trans/clutch fluid might have to research more on even if its possible to drain/refill it and same for the diff/trans case and fuel filter.

For the Maintenance Indicator I will set it to Flexible since I dont drive my Cx-5 severely and it shows the intervals for other things and I am too lazy to set up a spreadsheet on Excel lol. Thanks Everyone!

For the Maintenance Indicator I will set it to Flexible since I dont drive my Cx-5 severely and it shows the intervals for other things and I am too lazy to set up a spreadsheet on Excel lol. Thanks Everyone!

If you do your own maintenance, it's a good idea to keep a running log of when you performed the services as well as the receipts for the materials (oil, filters, plugs, etc.) that you used. This ensures that your warranty won't be voided. It doesn't have to be a spreadsheet - I write everything down in a small notebook. If you take the car to a dealer or to an independent shop, you only need to hold on to the invoices.

So even for my 2021 manual, the Maintenance Indicator does not show the change intervals for rear diff/trans case oil, brake fluid, transmission/clutch fluid and, fuel filter even when driven Schedule 2 (SEVERE) in the US according to the manual.
Yes, Mazda’s “Flexible” OCI is only for oil change schedule, not for anything else. Honda has more complicated “Flexible” maintenance schedule with diffrtent service codes displayed.

Now in Mexico it does show for Schedule 1 the fuel filter is replaced at 37,282 mi and the brake fluid at 22,854 mi but Mexico is a harsher environment.
Yes, different driving environment and the gasoline sold in the US is better regulated. I changed the factory main fuel filter on my 1998 Honda CR-V at 170K miles. There’s no maintenance schedule on it and the factory fuel filter is as clean as new. There’s a pre-filter or a screen in the fuel tank that should filter out some bigger debris if any.

Besides, changing the main fuel filter on CX-5 is a lot more difficult as it’s located inside the fuel tank with the pre-fuel pump and screen.

Wow…. I guess I am following the 3 yrs/30k mi brake fluid change based on many others voices and my previous experiences from my Civic.
Or better yet get a brake fluid tester (cheap), and change the brake fluid when the tester says so.

I changed the brake fluid on my 1998 Honda CR-V the first time in 2018 at 170K miles. The factory fluid looked fine and I had no brake fluid related problems before the change. Of course there’s no brake fluid replacement schedule by Honda for the vehicle either.

For the trans/clutch fluid might have to research more on even if its possible to drain/refill it and same for the diff/trans case and fuel filter.
There’s no “clutch fluid” as that is referring to manual transmission, and Mazda doesn’t offer manual transmission on CX-5 for many years in the US. “Clutch fluid” is the brake fluid, and manual transmission clutch uses the same brake fluid from the brake fluid reservoir. But there’s an additional valve near the clutch for its bleeding purpose.

Yes, set the oil change to “Flexible”, and see how it goes. But you have to set / reset it right after the oil change and leave it alone, or it won’t be accurate.

Good question about the fuel filter but frankly I don't think I've replaced one in the last 20 years on vehicles up to 14 years or 150,000 miles.

Is Mexico, or Canada for that matter, a harsher environment than the US? That depends what apple you compare to which orange. Toronto metro is no worse than Chicago. Vancouver's not worse than Seattle, quite temperate in fact. Go up to Calgary and that's a different matter. San Diego vs. Tijuana? San Antonio vs. Monterrey?

There's a wide variety of climates and driving conditions in all these countries. I don't understand the purpose of five North American schedules. Two should suffice where you pick your poison based on your driving conditions using the guidelines in the manual:

"Follow Schedule 1 if the vehicle is operated mainly where none of the following conditions
(severe driving conditions) apply.

 Repeated short-distance driving
 Driving in dusty conditions
 Driving with extended use of brakes
 Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used
 Driving on rough or muddy roads
 Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
 Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
 Driving in extremely hot conditions
 Driving in mountainous conditions continually

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, different driving environment [in Mexico] and the gasoline sold in the US is better regulated.
60% of Mexican gasoline is imported from the US. The critiques of Mexican refined gas are chiefly how well it ages and the quality of the additive/detergent packages, none of which has to do with crud caught in a fuel filter.

No matter where you are, if you fill up at some beat down station that looks like its been there for 100 years (which could be one of those co-ops in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan), you might be sucking up crud out those ancient underground tanks.

Something tells me if you are in Mexico and in the habit of filling up at a modern Pemex minimart, swapping out the fuel filter at 24k would be overkill.

May be overkill but I change my Air and Cabin filter every 12 months (12K miles).$45..literally takes 10 minutes for both…Never pay your dealer $100 plus for such a simple task

Yes, Mazda’s “Flexible” OCI is only for oil change schedule, not for anything else. Honda has more complicated “Flexible” maintenance schedule with diffrtent service codes displayed.

Yes, different driving environment and the gasoline sold in the US is better regulated. I changed the factory main fuel filter on my 1998 Honda CR-V at 170K miles. There’s no maintenance schedule on it and the factory fuel filter is as clean as new. There’s a pre-filter or a screen in the fuel tank that should filter out some bigger debris if any.

Besides, changing the main fuel filter on CX-5 is a lot more difficult as it’s located inside the fuel tank with the pre-fuel pump and screen.

Or better yet get a brake fluid tester (cheap), and change the brake fluid when the tester says so.

I changed the brake fluid on my 1998 Honda CR-V the first time in 2018 at 170K miles. The factory fluid looked fine and I had no brake fluid related problems before the change. Of course there’s no brake fluid replacement schedule by Honda for the vehicle either.

There’s no “clutch fluid” as that is referring to manual transmission, and Mazda doesn’t offer manual transmission on CX-5 for many years in the US. “Clutch fluid” is the brake fluid, and manual transmission clutch uses the same brake fluid from the brake fluid reservoir. But there’s an additional valve near the clutch for its bleeding purpose.

Yes, set the oil change to “Flexible”, and see how it goes. But you have to set / reset it right after the oil change and leave it alone, or it won’t be accurate.
My 08 Civic does says change brake fluid every three years in the manual.
What about the transfer/diff oil for the Cx-5?

60% of Mexican gasoline is imported from the US. The critiques of Mexican refined gas are chiefly how well it ages and the quality of the additive/detergent packages, none of which has to do with crud caught in a fuel filter.

No matter where you are, if you fill up at some beat down station that looks like its been there for 100 years (which could be one of those co-ops in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan), you might be sucking up crud out those ancient underground tanks.

Something tells me if you are in Mexico and in the habit of filling up at a modern Pemex minimart, swapping out the fuel filter at 24k would be overkill.
lol the gasoline in Mexico might include extra debris otherwise I still dont get why change fuel filter at 37k mi ?🧐

And what about trans fluid needs changing if so how?

When I did my last oil change when the car had about 10k miles on it and was two years old I took a look at the air filter. I live in the mountains and while I don't drive on any unpaved roads, the roads here are pretty dusty anyways. The filter was pretty dirty. I bought a new Wix filter and replaced the original. For $25 it was cheap insurance. The cabin air filter was also very dirty so I changed that as well.

While the manual and any maintenance minder software in our cars are a general guide, they are nowhere near sophisticated enough to really measure anything. Like the oil life monitor doesn't know whether you are using one of the top 3 synthetic premium extended life oils, or the cheapest brand X dino oil. Don't be lazy and depend upon what the software suggests, use your own judgement. Over 100,000 miles the extra cost of a few oil changes and air filters is negligible.

Back